U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,376 times

Advertisements

Back in 2014 I was wanting to join the Navy, I went to MEPS to take the Asvab to later decide i didn't want to join the Navy. I took a while to think about what i really wanted to do & what military branch I wanted to join.. it took me 2 years to truly be sure i did want to join the military and that the Air Force is the way i want to go, i spoke with a recruiter and he signed me up to take the Asvab but then i had realized & mentioned to him i did take the Asvab a few years back and at a different state.. So he mentioned he would have to request a pull from the Navy to the Air Force as well as Meps to Meps he said it should only take about 24 to 72 hours but its been a month now and my information is "still pending". Has this ever happened to anyone if so how long did you wait? What are would you recommend to study more in?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,177,876 times
Try them back. We have some recruiters on here who should be able to give you a real answer, but I thought if it had been more than 6 months you had to redo all that anyways. There are tons of reasons that recruiter may have forgotten, moved, lost it, be waiting on them to get back to him.... etc... When I went through processing, my recruiter said no matter the issue she talked to all her recruits at least once a week, tried to see them once a week or at least every other, and more than that if they were having on-going problems they were waiting on being resolved. If its been a month, there is no way someone is actively working on that.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:48 PM

3,183 posts, read 9,224,316 times
This is not atypical.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:00 PM

4,549 posts, read 8,004,288 times
Your Recruiter is correct about needing to do the meps pull for your records. This is to keep people from jumping from meps to meps if they are disqualified. It should not take a month.

Your recruiter needs to get on the phone with the local meps and have them provide a status and why it is taking so long.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:48 PM

I've seen it take that long because a MEPS has to wait on the file room, and then Fedex the records. I had a recent one take almost 3 months because the other branch recruiter had signed out the records (guard and Reserves do that a lot), so MEPS was at the mercy of the recruiter returning them. The recruiter was making the applicant suffer for wasting his time (I assume), and took his sweet time returning the records to MEPS, whereupon MEPS had to snail mail the records, and they only sent out mail 1x per week. Drama.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,584 times
If you are turned down from the SG should you receive some type of letter explaining why? Whether it is temporary or permanent? I only have the Recruiter word

Old 09-13-2016, 05:02 PM

Not usually. A recruiter would be unlikely to lie. They want you to join. They don't want to block you from joining. We have a vested interest in getting you in.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,376 times
Thanks everyone, all answers are appreciated, we finally heard back from MEPS ! i took my asvab and now i am in the process of getting my moral waiver approved ! My recruiters boss wants to set up a time to speak over the phone with me.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:55 PM

4,549 posts, read 8,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhunt1109 View Post
If you are turned down from the SG should you receive some type of letter explaining why? Whether it is temporary or permanent? I only have the Recruiter word
I was a Navy Recruiting Supervisor and all waiver denials had a letter sent to the applicant being disqualified. The Air Force may be different but I wouldn't think so since all services use the same MEPS CMO.

The Recruiter can't disqualify you and it must come from the CMO which is normally done with a letter sent directly to the applicant (unless it is HIV and that is done in person). The CMO made a recommendation on the waiver and it was sent to the SG (we called it something different in the Navy) and when it came back a letter was sent with the denial. It has been five years but that is how it worked when I was on the bag.

Last edited by LBTRS; 10-04-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues