U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:59 AM

3,183 posts, read 9,224,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
But she is not going to enlist as an E-8. Will her degree get her an E-3?
Yes, E-3. I realize she won't enlist at the top rank, but she won't start as an executive in corporate America either. She'll start "entry level" no matter what industry, military or civilian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 07:00 AM

3,183 posts, read 9,224,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Possibly. Is there a daddy to the scenario? Because, if not, you'll have to have someone legally sign to take custody of your child when you deploy - which you will. Possibly 6 - 18 months. If you get orders overseas they would have to be accompanied orders to take your child, then you'll have to have arrangements in writing for her in the event of deployment. I know an AF woman with a family deployed to Kuwait from Japan when the Tsunami hit. You want to talk about a stressed out person, not being able to reach her family.
USAF does NOT deploy for 18 months.... ever....

Old 08-22-2016, 07:03 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecg View Post
Hello, I am 28 years old and thinking of joining the Airforce. I have a Bachelor's Degree but I am not qualified to become an officer due to the fact that I am not yet a US citizen. The biggest thing that is holding me back is that I would like to start a family. I am worried that if I join, getting pregnant will be frowned upon. Is this an issue that many women deal with? Are there any repercussions when it comes to treatment and promotions if one does become pregnant?
Why aren't you a citizen?
That will hinder you before anything else.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM

5,538 posts, read 4,378,162 times
Quote:
Hello, I am 28 years old and thinking of joining the Airforce. I have a Bachelor's Degree but I am not qualified to become an officer due to the fact that I am not yet a US citizen. The biggest thing that is holding me back is that I would like to start a family. I am worried that if I join, getting pregnant will be frowned upon. Is this an issue that many women deal with? Are there any repercussions when it comes to treatment and promotions if one does become pregnant?
Honestly it depends on your job in the Air Force. Office setting with normal work hours, people won't bat an eye to your face.

Out on the flight line or some other job that requires shift type more physical work, not so much.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM

9 posts, read 17,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Possibly. Is there a daddy to the scenario? Because, if not, you'll have to have someone legally sign to take custody of your child when you deploy - which you will. Possibly 6 - 18 months. If you get orders overseas they would have to be accompanied orders to take your child, then you'll have to have arrangements in writing for her in the event of deployment. I know an AF woman with a family deployed to Kuwait from Japan when the Tsunami hit. You want to talk about a stressed out person, not being able to reach her family.

Yes. I am married. He was in the Marine Corps and recently joined the Air force Reserve. Also, I said I would like to START a family. We don't have any children as of yet.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 AM

10,388 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Quote:
Yes. I am married. He was in the Marine Corps and recently joined the Air force Reserve. Also, I said I would like to START a family. We don't have any children as of yet.
it's a different ball game when you're a single mom, which is why I asked. but a military spouse still requires a caretaker plan set up. Best wishes to you and your future family addition!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 AM

9 posts, read 17,968 times
I see. Thank you for your insight and for the well wishes. I greatly appreciate it. ALOHA

Old 08-22-2016, 03:27 PM

10,388 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Quote:
I see. Thank you for your insight and for the well wishes. I greatly appreciate it. ALOHA
Aloha & Mahalo!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 PM

358 posts, read 561,355 times
Well, I don't think I would try to do both, simultaneously. Is that what you're asking?

Do one first. Commit to it. Reevaluate the other thing a little ways down the road.

I sense you kinda want to do both things 1/2 speed.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 PM

47 posts, read 20,823 times
My god you're a braggart dmarie123.

Life is easy and I only work 40 hours a week. Many of us work 35-40 hours a week. Some work more, but many don't. What branch of the military are you in? I was in the Air Force and never worked a 35 hour work week. I'm so glad you were able to land a skate job while the rest of the hard-working non-office type of people work 12 hour shifts often and deploy regularly.

Top 25% of household incomes in the U.S and your income is higher than about 250 million people in the U.S. WOW, just WOW. I have never seen anyone with an ego like yours.

I enjoy perusing this forum. It brings back many good memories but this post irritates me. Stick to giving advice on your particular branch of service but bragging that your work "40 hours" a week is not realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or