U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:55 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,597,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I totally agree.

Her experience is not the norm - at all and does not apply to the OP.

The AF is considered one of the easiest branches of service (never deploying? LOL).

Unless the AF pays differently than the rest of the military, the OP is going to be at a low starting salary for a long time. That is something that she should consider.

You cannot compare someone who has been in at 16 years to someone just starting out.
My response doesn't apply when the OP is asking about serving in the Air Force as a mom? I'm pretty sure I'm on the only mom in the Air Force who has replied... not sure why it's not relevant.

She may deploy, but I know MANY MANY people who have never deployed.

I didn't say her pay would start out that high, just illustrating potential for growth. Her pay won't start out high in any industry... so I'm not sure what your point is. What industry has high starting pay that the OP is currently qualified for?

To illustrate, if she were an E3 (she will start as an E3 due to her education) stationed at Beale AFB, she would START off making $40,368 a year. That's nothing to sneeze at for starting pay. If she had kids, dependent BAH would put her pay even higher. It puts her in the top 63% of all earners in the United States, slightly under midway. As a STARTING pay. Keep in mind that some of that is not taxed, free health care, free non-contributory pension that kicks in after 20 years and has no minimum age to collect, free dental care, GI Bill, and many other benefits. Promotions and seniority build pay very quickly.

But, what do I know.... not like I'm a mother currently serving in the Air Force...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 05:01 PM

Starting pay for her in the Air Force, at over $40K a year (slight variations possible depending on assignment location) is higher than the national average for a female her age... yet people keep touting the low pay.

Median Salary By Age And Sex In America | Financial Samurai

Why does everyone think the pay is low? Average pay in the US for a woman 25-34 years old is $36K. She would out-earn that by around $4K-$5K a year, yet people keep posting about the low pay. I'm going crazy over here and so confused.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 PM

4,601 posts, read 8,333,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Starting pay for her in the Air Force, at over $40K a year (slight variations possible depending on assignment location) is higher than the national average for a female her age... yet people keep touting the low pay.

Median Salary By Age And Sex In America | Financial Samurai

Why does everyone think the pay is low? Average pay in the US for a woman 25-34 years old is $36K. She would out-earn that by around $4K-$5K a year, yet people keep posting about the low pay. I'm going crazy over here and so confused.
My guess would be...because most of us that served in the military didn't work less than 40 hours a week like you say you do. You really don't seem to have a true picture of military life.

Most of us worked long hours, had to work weekends, had to stand duty every 4 days, had to go TDY often, had to deploy, had to live on a ship at sea for 9 months at a time, had to transfer every 3 years, etc. Apparently you don't have to do any of that and appear to be compensated well for the hours you put in.

I worked 26 years in the military and now 5 years as a civilian since retiring. It is even more clear to me now as a civilian that I was WAY underpaid in the military.

Last edited by LBTRS; 10-03-2016 at 06:36 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 08:49 AM

4,374 posts, read 6,427,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
My response doesn't apply when the OP is asking about serving in the Air Force as a mom? I'm pretty sure I'm on the only mom in the Air Force who has replied... not sure why it's not relevant.

She may deploy, but I know MANY MANY people who have never deployed.

I didn't say her pay would start out that high, just illustrating potential for growth. Her pay won't start out high in any industry... so I'm not sure what your point is. What industry has high starting pay that the OP is currently qualified for?

To illustrate, if she were an E3 (she will start as an E3 due to her education) stationed at Beale AFB, she would START off making $40,368 a year. That's nothing to sneeze at for starting pay. If she had kids, dependent BAH would put her pay even higher. It puts her in the top 63% of all earners in the United States, slightly under midway. As a STARTING pay. Keep in mind that some of that is not taxed, free health care, free non-contributory pension that kicks in after 20 years and has no minimum age to collect, free dental care, GI Bill, and many other benefits. Promotions and seniority build pay very quickly.

But, what do I know.... not like I'm a mother currently serving in the Air Force...

I dunno. I look at the 2016 pay scale and I see her as making less than 23k per the E3 pay scale for under 2 years service. Not sure how your math adds up to 40k lol

I wish I had joined the military that only worked 35-40 hours a week lol I probably would have skated to a retirement as well.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:57 PM

24,847 posts, read 40,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I dunno. I look at the 2016 pay scale and I see her as making less than 23k per the E3 pay scale for under 2 years service. Not sure how your math adds up to 40k lol

Base Pay for E-3 with less than 2 years is $1847.00 per month

BAH with dependents at Beale AFB is $1509.00 per month

That comes out to $40,272 per year.

Actually worth more than that as the BAH of $18,108 per year is not taxable.

That E-3 (If not promoted), gets a pay raise of $1,392 per year when they start their third year...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-05-2016 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 09:30 PM

A military person is ordered to perform military service at a specific location. It is to governments responsibility to feed and house its military troops so they can perform military service wherever they are ordered to serve. Most military people are not where they would choose to be if they were not ordered to be there.

Saying a military person "earns" or the "starting pay" will be $40k/year is a bit misleading as housing is something the government is required to do. A military person doesn't have the option to say "keep your BAH, I'm going to move three states away and live where/how I want to live". A military member can't say, oh I want a new car I'm going to take these BAH "earnings" and buy a new car. BAH is only to be used to house the military member. The only reason this money is in the military members check in the first place is, the government doesn't have the ability to make payments to a million civilian landlords for housing military troops.

As part of my military service the government provided me drinking water, weapons and equipment, uniforms, vehicles, medical care, some entertainment, roads on base that I drove on to get to and from work, etc. These are the responsibility of a government that maintains a military, it isn't really fair to call these part of what a military person "earns".

In the civil war when they lived in tents on the battle field...did that get calculated as "earnings"? Today, when a Sailor is deployed and required to live on a ship for 9 months...is that part of a Sailors "earnings"? No, it is a military housing its troops.

We don't say that the housing the government provides prisoners in jail are earnings to the prisoner do we? No, that is the responsibility of the government to maintain a prison and hold prisoners. Similar to maintaining a military.

Now, I would be willing to listen if the argument was that married service members have housing "earnings" which is the difference between single and with dependent BAH rate. A government isn't required to house dependents as part of your military service so it may be fair to consider that the difference between single and with dependent BAH are earnings.

What a military member earns is their base pay and any special pay or bonuses they get.

Last edited by LBTRS; 10-04-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 03:45 AM

4,374 posts, read 6,427,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
A military person is ordered to perform military service at a specific location. It is to governments responsibility to feed and house its military troops so they can perform military service wherever they are ordered to serve. Most military people are not where they would choose to be if they were not ordered to be there.

Saying a military person "earns" or the "starting pay" will be $40k/year is a bit misleading as housing is something the government is required to do. A military person doesn't have the option to say "keep your BAH, I'm going to move three states away and live where/how I want to live". A military member can't say, oh I want a new car I'm going to take these BAH "earnings" and buy a new car. BAH is only to be used to house the military member. The only reason this money is in the military members check in the first place is, the government doesn't have the ability to make payments to a million civilian landlords for housing military troops.

As part of my military service the government provided me drinking water, weapons and equipment, uniforms, vehicles, medical care, some entertainment, roads on base that I drove on to get to and from work, etc. These are the responsibility of a government that maintains a military, it isn't really fair to call these part of what a military person "earns".

In the civil war when they lived in tents on the battle field...did that get calculated as "earnings"? Today, when a Sailor is deployed and required to live on a ship for 9 months...is that part of a Sailors "earnings"? No, it is a military housing its troops.

We don't say that the housing the government provides prisoners in jail are earnings to the prisoner do we? No, that is the responsibility of the government to maintain a prison and hold prisoners. Similar to maintaining a military.

Now, I would be willing to listen if the argument was that married service members have housing "earnings" which is the difference between single and with dependent BAH rate. A government isn't required to house dependents as part of your military service so it may be fair to consider that the difference between single and with dependent BAH are earnings.

What a military member earns is their base pay and any special pay or bonuses they get.

That's the way I see it as well. Sounds like recruiter promises more than real world imo.

When I was in you didn't even get BAH unless you were married at E3.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:49 AM

5,190 posts, read 3,934,437 times
Quote:
That's the way I see it as well. Sounds like recruiter promises more than real world imo.

Exactly.

They would not even 'let' single E4s move off-base without the CO signing off on it where I lived.

I always only counted base pay when counting my salary.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:

When I went to recruiting school we were taught to sell these "allowances" as earnings to show how much they would be making starting right out of high school. Heck, they even told us to call it a "clothing allowance" instead of a "uniform allowance" to make kids think the military paid for their civilian clothes.

BAH (housing), BAS (food), and the uniform allowance are not earnings and is the reason they are not taxable. They are things (housing, food, uniforms) that the government must provide a military member to allow them to serve in whatever location they are ordered. Only certain people get these as "allowances" in their pay check.

Not everyone gets these allowances as you have to qualify to receive them. They should not be figured into or discussed as what a new military members is going to make. Their base pay is actually what they are going to make and I can assure you it isn't $40k starting out.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I wish I had joined the military that only worked 35-40 hours a week lol I probably would have skated to a retirement as well.
Because of BAH and BAH. The pay scale just shows basic pay. She will also receive BAS and BAH. She'll give up the BAH if she gets base housing. But, then she wouldn't have to pay for housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or