Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 29,098 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am 28 years old and thinking of joining the Airforce. I have a Bachelor's Degree but I am not qualified to become an officer due to the fact that I am not yet a US citizen. The biggest thing that is holding me back is that I would like to start a family. I am worried that if I join, getting pregnant will be frowned upon. Is this an issue that many women deal with? Are there any repercussions when it comes to treatment and promotions if one does become pregnant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 03:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Women in the Air Force get pregnant all the time, it is not "frowned upon". That said, starting a family in the military is tough due to military commitments.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:06 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
You have a degree and want a family, WHY would you join the Military? You want lower pay and no time for that family?

I'm all for the Military, my brother was a Marine but Military life and (normal) family life are two different goals.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
You have a degree and want a family, WHY would you join the Military? You want lower pay and no time for that family?

I'm all for the Military, my brother was a Marine but Military life and (normal) family life are two different goals.

I have yet to find a job that has to do with my degree. I am basically doing entry level jobs that is mediocre and meaningless. I understand what you are saying about missing out on "family time." This is one of the reasons I have not joined yet.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Women in the Air Force get pregnant all the time, it is not "frowned upon". That said, starting a family in the military is tough due to military commitments.
I understand that it would be much harder especially when deployment time comes around. I didn't mean to make pregnancy sound negative. I just era a few articles about women being talked down to because they became pregnant. I am just looking for insight to help guide me.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecg View Post
Hello, I am 28 years old and thinking of joining the Airforce. I have a Bachelor's Degree but I am not qualified to become an officer due to the fact that I am not yet a US citizen. The biggest thing that is holding me back is that I would like to start a family. I am worried that if I join, getting pregnant will be frowned upon. Is this an issue that many women deal with? Are there any repercussions when it comes to treatment and promotions if one does become pregnant?
NO REPERCUSSIONS. I'm active duty, fairly high ranking (only 3% of the enlisted corps is higher ranking than me), and I have a couple little kids. I have faced NOTHING but support, maternity leave, time/space to breastfeed, support from unit members, congratulations, and I have not had any negative impact.

The USAF is VERY supportive of women and families.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:19 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post

What are you talking about? I make WAY more money than I would make had I not joined the military. Life is easy and I only work 40 hours a week for nearly $80K a year. That's a GREAT DEAL. Plus free health care, low cost life insurance, investments, a non-contributory retirement plan worth up to $2,000,000 if I don't die young, and a host of other benefits.

Why would you assume people in the military have no time for family? Many of us work 35-40 hours a week. Some work more, but many don't. That's better than doctors, lawyers, or a host of other civilian jobs.

Why do assume we don't get paid much? My husband and I are in the top 25% of household incomes in the United States. We're both enlisted, an our income is higher than about 250 million people in the United States.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:05 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
But she is not going to enlist as an E-8. Will her degree get her an E-3?

Old 08-21-2016, 06:45 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
But she is not going to enlist as an E-8. Will her degree get her an E-3?
Possibly. Is there a daddy to the scenario? Because, if not, you'll have to have someone legally sign to take custody of your child when you deploy - which you will. Possibly 6 - 18 months. If you get orders overseas they would have to be accompanied orders to take your child, then you'll have to have arrangements in writing for her in the event of deployment. I know an AF woman with a family deployed to Kuwait from Japan when the Tsunami hit. You want to talk about a stressed out person, not being able to reach her family.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I'm a military spouse with a career that has had me working directly with many, many military children/military families. Loads of women serve with children/have their children while serving. Everyone who serves who is a parent needs a care plan in place for their children in the event of deployment/mobilization, but yes, your can have children while serving. We have close friends, a couple who are Seabees, and both were deployed at the same time...grandparents were the caregivers of their respective kids. My husband has two pregnant petty officers who report to him right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues