Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:03 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times

Advertisements

I don't think I said anything about no live fire training. Even the voices in my head don't remember that.

Anyway, we got famfire with the M60 somewhere south of Pusan. No skeet, just AFFF jugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:30 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Even the sub tender I was on had live weapons training. We were out to sea and had a whole bunch of us qualify with small arms for a reaction force team we were assigned.

I couldn't imagine trying to shoot clay pigeons off the back of a moving ship though!
Well with a machine gun however we went on a cruise when I was young before water slides and the modern cruising and skeet shooting was one of the adult pass times

Last edited by Taiko; 09-04-2016 at 06:43 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 06:40 PM

I had quite forgotten about this:

DESTROYERS
Enlisted Billet Descriptions
(NAVPERS 16,486)

Descriptions of the duties, responsibilities, and performance requirements of enlisted billets for use as a guide in selection, training, classification, and shipboard assignment of destroyer personnel.

Prepared by
BUREAU OF NAVAL PERSONNEL
With the Assistance of Commander Destroyers, Pacific Fleet
August 1945

Old 09-04-2016, 08:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Even the sub tender I was on had live weapons training. We were out to sea and had a whole bunch of us qualify with small arms for a reaction force team we were assigned.

I couldn't imagine trying to shoot clay pigeons off the back of a moving ship though!
What is a sub tender? Is that like a smaller submarine, and what is the reaction force team?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I had quite forgotten about this:

DESTROYERS
Enlisted Billet Descriptions
(NAVPERS 16,486)

Descriptions of the duties, responsibilities, and performance requirements of enlisted billets for use as a guide in selection, training, classification, and shipboard assignment of destroyer personnel.

Prepared by
BUREAU OF NAVAL PERSONNEL
With the Assistance of Commander Destroyers, Pacific Fleet
August 1945
I imagine a lot of those jobs are no longer done by humans, and machines have cut down on those steps.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:38 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is a sub tender? Is that like a smaller submarine, and what is the reaction force team?

It was the USS Hunley and is no longer in commission. Submarines would dock to the side of the ship for repairs and services, electric and water came from the ship.

Reaction force was just an emergency security detail. We never had emergencies or anything going on at all. During the first Gulf war we were one of the very few ships still in Norfolk lol.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I imagine a lot of those jobs are no longer done by humans, and machines have cut down on those steps.
Yeah, the jobs have changed, I don't know the current manning levels. But a warships needs people to fight and to keep it afloat, so there's a certain minimum, which would vary by ship and mission.

The gas turbine ships are a lot simpler to man than the steam plant ships. I was a "pit snipe" most of my at sea time, meaning I worked in the engine room (or "main space" when we share deck plate with the boilers) and we had eight people on watch at any one time, IIRC, during at-sea steaming. They tried to automate those tasks, with the usual fiasco. Litton Industries built LHAs 1, 3, and 5. The automation on LHA-1 proved a failure, so they were retrofitting conventional controls on her while installing the automation on LHA-3. Again, it failed and they were retrofitting -3 while installing it on -5, and so on.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
It was the USS Hunley and is no longer in commission. Submarines would dock to the side of the ship for repairs and services, electric and water came from the ship.

Reaction force was just an emergency security detail. We never had emergencies or anything going on at all. During the first Gulf war we were one of the very few ships still in Norfolk lol.
Is it like SWAT team training then?

Old 09-06-2016, 06:08 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:

No we weren't anything special like that. It was just an emergency team established for duty sections in case of emergency that required guns drawn. There was never a need nor actual emergency the 3 years I was there.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
Quote:

This depends on the ship, anti boarding party training on "small boys" can get very detailed and is very much like swat team training. The reason is these ships are low on the water, so they are easy to board from small watercraft. Due to the small number of sailors on board, if the ship is boarded, it is very likely that they will not be discovered immediately. This means that intruders could be hidden all over the ship. In this type of scenario the anti boarding party will be called. Fully armed with M-4 rifles, they have the task of taking the ship back, compartment by compartment if necessary. I volunteered for this duty when I was on the Enterprise, it was allot of fun. We also may have or may not have had a SeAL team deployed with us that sometimes would play the "bad guys" and try to steal the ship.

Due to terrorist tactics, armed watches are serious business on Naval vessels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues