Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times

Advertisements

By this I mean..........after 20 + years of seeing different places all across the US ( and abroad ) , did any of them become the city/area you retired to and started 2nd career?

I ask because when I was researching areas to relocate to upon civilian retirement, many times the realtor was a retired military man who was not born and raised in that state.

I usually would ask ( as we were having friendly conversation) if his last duty station was.......whatever military base in that area was of his military branch .

Most of the time the answer was....." yes, how did you know"?

I would presume the US base one was assigned to at the end would be an area where the spouse perhaps found a job and the kids had settled in school. Plus the serviceman had a couple years to check out starting his 2nd career.

Did this happen to any of you ?
Your last duty station become the city/area of your retirement location ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
When I retired from the military, my residence stayed the same for nine years.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
My last Duty Station was on the USS Coats DE-??? stationed in New Haven Connecticut. I lived in CT at the time but wound up in NH for the last 40 years or so.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Left SoCal for Indiana the day I pulled the pin. I was planning on going to college and the in-state tuition was the tie-breaker.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:31 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My last Duty Station was on the USS Coats DE-685 stationed in New Haven Connecticut. I lived in CT at the time but wound up in NH for the last 40 years or so.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:36 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
Absolutely, my last duty station was Maryland and that's where I currently live. I already owned a house there and my kids were in school.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Lord no, but my situation is different. When I got out of the Corps (after 9 yrs) I was told "be sure that's what you want to do because you won't be able to come back in" And they were right. After a year I panicked. I left the Corps as an instructor in Millington TN. Joined the Tn Air Guard in Memphis a year later. Stayed 20 yrs with the Guard, part of which I was a civilian Technician (federal job). I found my true love in CT and retired one day and began work with the Navy as a civilian the next. Things really worked out for me. We've been all around since then and I'm still a civilian DoN employee. We're trying to decide where to retire and, even though he's from CT, I can't see it. Too expensive. Maybe near a beach, maybe horse friendly. Who knows?

Old 08-30-2016, 04:34 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Absolutely, my last duty station was Maryland and that's where I currently live. I already owned a house there and my kids were in school.
That happens a lot around the National Capital Region; and many retired veterans end up transitioning directly to being government civilians with the Army or other federal service. In a round about way that's how we ended up back in the NCR.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:17 PM

324 posts, read 387,686 times
I retired in Hampton Roads area from the Air Force and soon was hired by the Army in a civil service "temp" position.

I went on from there to serve the Army, Air Force, and Navy (actually in a Joint position) in civil service and retired again 12 years later with a civil service pension.

Last edited by walessp; 08-31-2016 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: needs editing

Old 08-31-2016, 06:12 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
No.

We looked at possible homestead locations during a few of my duty stations.

When I retired we had been in Italy for the past 3 years. We did not stay there.

The next previous homeport was Subase Bangor Washington. My wife had to go out there briefly when I retired, to sell the apartment building we owned there, but we did not go back there again.

The homeport previous to that was Subase Groton Connecticut. We owned an apartment building there and when I retired we returned to it for a few years, before making our final move.

Our final move was to Maine, even though we had never been stationed in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues