Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,321 times

Advertisements

I was disqualified for having a "history" of HBP, but yet it has been over a year since I have not had HBP. Is there a work around on this? I really want to join AF Reserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
It has been a year since you have not had high blood pressure? So for the last year, you have only had high blood pressure? That sounds more like current high blood pressure, so there is no "work around" for that. If you can get your blood pressure under control you should be ok. Please see my previous post on this thread where it discusses exactly what BP readings you will need from your doctor. Get those, and submit for a medical waiver through your recruiter. If you can't get normal readings, you're completely out of luck.

A long history of needing medication for HBP could disqualify you as well, so look for healthy ways to lower it like diet, exercise, stress management, limiting sodium intake, etc.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,155 times
My son blood pressure was 150/84 at the army test on. My wife is a nurse and took his blood pressure the next day Saturday and it was normal. He’s 19 and never had high blood pressure or anything. Does that mean no matter what he can’t join?

Old 12-01-2018, 01:37 PM

601 posts, read 458,612 times
During my Army enlistment process I got anxious during my MEPS medical screening and had a high blood pressure reading. I was instructed to go back to my family doctor and have blood pressure readings over the course of a week or so. I submitted the readings on a formed signed off by my doctor to the recruiters, and they got me a waiver (my other readings were normal so it was clear I didn't have a chronic condition).

Old 12-01-2018, 01:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdad1 View Post
My son blood pressure was 150/84 at the army test on. My wife is a nurse and took his blood pressure the next day Saturday and it was normal. He’s 19 and never had high blood pressure or anything. Does that mean no matter what he can’t join?

They (MEPS) usually give instructions that if they can get two normal BP readings signed off by a doctor or nurse, they can come back. They'll conclude it was White Coat Syndrome. Did they give him any such instructions or an appointment to come back?

It is NOT a disqualification that can't be overcome. He should be fine if he can demonstrate normal BP on two separate occasions.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,286 times
I went to MEPS and my bp was elevated, had to go to my doctor for readings which I was able to get it down and was able to join the navy. Upon reaching Bootcamp my bp was checked again and had elevated because of that I was sent home. I now have been able to get it down without any medication. I now want to join the Air force, my question is will they accept me and give me waiver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues