U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 21,049 times

Advertisements

I have high blood pressure, about 145/90 on average, would I still be able to join the Air Force? Also, is there a way to see what jobs are in demand for officer type positions? I'm graduating with a degree in Accounting and Finance and would like to do contracts or mergers for the Air Force but have no clue about the demand for a non academy, ROTC type student. What's available out there? I'm serious about joining the Air Force as i'd want to be apart of something greater than myself and be physically fit. Thanks to anyone who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 07:22 AM

3,100 posts, read 9,000,145 times
DODI 6130 says it is disqualifying if you have " Current or medically managed hypertension (401). Hypertension is defined as systolic pressure greater than 140 mmHg and or diastolic pressure greater than 90 mmHg confirmed by manual blood pressure cuff averaged over two or more properly measured, seated, blood pressure readings on each of 2 or more consecutive days (isolated, single-day blood pressure elevation is not disqualifying unless confirmed on 2 or more consecutive days). "

So, you would need to get your blood pressure down just a tad to join. You should talk with your doctor (NOT GO ON MEDICATIONS THOUGH, AS THAT IS A DQ). Get some advice on how to lower it naturally. Avoid sodium, exercise, loose a few pounds, etc.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
DODI 6130 says it is disqualifying if you have " Current or medically managed hypertension (401). Hypertension is defined as systolic pressure greater than 140 mmHg and or diastolic pressure greater than 90 mmHg confirmed by manual blood pressure cuff averaged over two or more properly measured, seated, blood pressure readings on each of 2 or more consecutive days (isolated, single-day blood pressure elevation is not disqualifying unless confirmed on 2 or more consecutive days). "

So, you would need to get your blood pressure down just a tad to join. You should talk with your doctor (NOT GO ON MEDICATIONS THOUGH, AS THAT IS A DQ). Get some advice on how to lower it naturally. Avoid sodium, exercise, loose a few pounds, etc.
Dmarie, thank you.

Is this blood pressure test a re-occuring test? After being admitted, will I be tested annually? Also, I live in San Antonio and was wondering if I could talk to a recruiter or yourself as I am understanding that you are a recruiter here. If applicable, I'd be extremely appreciative to chat. Thanks regardless!

Old 09-06-2016, 11:47 AM

5,282 posts, read 4,117,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.lee7 View Post
Dmarie, thank you.

Is this blood pressure test a re-occuring test? After being admitted, will I be tested annually? Also, I live in San Antonio and was wondering if I could talk to a recruiter or yourself as I am understanding that you are a recruiter here. If applicable, I'd be extremely appreciative to chat. Thanks regardless!
We used to have yearly physicals and dental exams, so yes your blood pressure would be noted. Who knows what they do now.

Good luck

Old 09-06-2016, 11:49 AM

6,239 posts, read 5,206,962 times
I was rejected for it. Sorry.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:04 PM

258 posts, read 179,073 times
Blood pressure has been a problem for me for years. Fortunately, if your BP is OK when you're screened for flight school it can rise after you get your rating, or at least you could "back in the day" when I was flying. It seems like the sort of question you could get answered by a recruiter. I wouldn't ask it of the one you intend to use, however.

walessp

Old 09-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Blood pressure has been a problem for me for years. Fortunately, if your BP is OK when you're screened for flight school it can rise after you get your rating, or at least you could "back in the day" when I was flying. It seems like the sort of question you could get answered by a recruiter. I wouldn't ask it of the one you intend to use, however.

walessp
Thanks, appreciate all of the responses.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:08 PM

5,871 posts, read 2,336,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post

walessp
Until just a few weeks ago the FAA would pull civilian pilot certs if your BP went above 150 or 155 not sure about the military but I would wager that if it got TOO high they would pull you out of a plane and put you behind a desk.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.lee7 View Post
Dmarie, thank you.

It's a one time test at MEPS. If you fail it, they let you redo your blood pressure with your own doctor, as they assume that you'll be nervous/stressed at MEPS.

Once you're in, if your blood pressure gets high, we treat you, no biggie, don't get kicked out.

I don't live in Texas anymore. Sorry! You should locate a recruiter on www.airforce.com because they're territorial. San Antonio has dozens of recruiters, and there is only 1 you're supposed to work with based on your zip code.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2016, 06:11 PM

My answers apply for the 95% of us that aren't pilots... for pilots... I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or