U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Location: KC, MO
760 posts, read 634,818 times
Reputation: 618


Originally Posted by Lomes View Post
Does other than honorable situation work the same way for the Marines as the other branches I've been trying to find help and find out how to get back into any branch is it possible to get into the service with a drug charge

It is probably unlikely the Marines or any of the other services will take you with a less than honorable discharge.

You need to first send a package to a Review Board and ask them to review your case and ask that they upgrade the characterization of your discharge. (From 'less than' to 'honorable'.)

If the Review Board upgrades your discharge, then you can talk to the various military services but don't be surprised if they turn you away if they find out you got a less than honorable which got upgraded.

The war has been slowing down. If you had done all this back around 2004, you might have been able to enlist since back then, even felons were being enlisted.

P.S. Read what I say to Ugly Duckling

Good Luck.



Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 AM
16,733 posts, read 13,023,319 times
Reputation: 40881
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Feel better after that second paragraph?
I do. Because it's absolutely correct.

I made some stupid mistakes that followed me for awhile, but it sure as hell taught me not to do it again!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 PM
4,316 posts, read 1,938,389 times
Reputation: 7570
Originally Posted by theuglyduckling View Post
Like the title says, I have an other than honorable discharge.

I joined the Navy back in 2006 at the age of 20 and went thru boot camp. I then went to A school and didn't make it thru school. At the time my Grandpa was passing away(8% of his heart was working) and the Navy really didn't want me to leave but ultimately let me. After returning I was re-assigned to a new A school. I went down to Mississippi and started school there.

I went AWOL from there for a few months (I was young and dumb) and then got arrested in Chicago under the warrant that the Navy issued for me being a deserter. I then got released the next day after signing a paper saying I would return to the base. So I went back to my base and turned myself in. I went thru a court martial. I received a reduce in rank/pay and a other than honorable discharge with a serious offence listed. I didn't think anything about it and returned home.

Fast forward a few years and I have graduated from a Tech School and got my CCNA(cisco certified network assoicate). I found a job and have been there the past 3 years. I decided I would like to move on to a new position and started looking for a new job. I applied at a few places and got hired at the school district as a network tech. So I put in my two weeks at my current job and went thru the background check at my new job.

It came back with something I had totally forgot about. My warrant for my arrest(for being AWOL). They asked me for paperwork that the warrant had been dropped. So I called the police department that I got arrested, they tell me they don't have any information(I gave them the case #, my name, etc). They suggested I call the Clerk of Courts. So I call them and they don't find any info either and suggest I call the Navy Awol center.

I call them and they say they only issue the warrant, that they don't do anything beyond that and suggested I call the Base I was processed at. So I call them and they say they don't keep any paperwork after two years to contact the VA. So I contact the VA and they don't have any information on the Warrant being cleared but send me everything they have. I go thru it all and the only thing is the DD214 that shows I was discharged with an other than honorable(serious offense).

So not wanting to lie I contact the school district and let them know. They never return my call and I miss a call from the principal at the school I was getting hired at leaving a voicemail saying if I could call her back. I tried calling back and the school is closed. So I go back to work no thinking anything until my co-worker says wow my friend just said he got the job at the school you got hired at. After that my heart sunk. Now I don't know if I can keep the current position I'm at or what to tell them(my boss doesn't know yet). I want to keep working and keep improving my life but I feel like the dumb mistakes I made when I was younger are hindering me from doing that.

I guess I have a few questions.

1. Any suggestions on if I'm able to expunge the Warrant or how to go about this? I keep getting the run around that no one has any info on this.

2. Any way to upgrade my discharge? I was young, dumb and I really wish I could go back and change this.

3. How do I keep my current job? What do I tell my boss? Do I look for a different one and try to move on?

(answering #2)........I will quote from paragraph #3.........." I went AWOL from there for a few months "

If that was the reason, it would be setting a terrible precedence to ignore the very serious offense and upgrade your discharge.

key words...very serious offense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top