Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:01 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,105,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I work at a nursing home, and we have several residents who served in the military (particularly overseas during WWII), as well as women who had to work while their men were overseas. They are proud of what they did and I'd like to organize something to honor them, and also to give them an opportunity to discuss their experiences with others. But I am not sure how to go about it. I'd welcome any ideas. I was thinking about seeing if there is a local VFW and seeing if they had any suggestions, too. I don't know of any other organizations that are affiliated with veterans.

Please forgive me but I plumb forgot to advise you to contact your local Shriners Temple. Not knowing where in Missouri you are I selected a link for you to start with:

Ararat Shrine Temple (http://www.araratshrine.com/main/ - broken link).

The Shriners are one of the most charitable of all fraternal orders and everything they do is totally on the level. If you advise what city you want this service in I will give you another link.

Please do let us know how this event turns out as I would imagine anyone who posted in this particular thread would like to know.

OK, that's all I have so now we're square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,682,524 times
Quote:
I work at a nursing home, and we have several residents who served in the military (particularly overseas during WWII), as well as women who had to work while their men were overseas. They are proud of what they did and I'd like to organize something to honor them, and also to give them an opportunity to discuss their experiences with others. But I am not sure how to go about it. I'd welcome any ideas. I was thinking about seeing if there is a local VFW and seeing if they had any suggestions, too. I don't know of any other organizations that are affiliated with veterans.
These guys have units all over the US Ther are links to many of them on this page.
index

Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,626,263 times
Quote:
You have in your location at least 15 Masonic lodges that you could also try to contact, they can usually be found in the local phone book and more than likely you'll also find some of their members are also veterans, that would be more than happy to help you with this, they would probably take it on as a project, and like UncleBatz says, you could also try the Shriners Temple, they're also Masons and you'll be treated squarely and on the level by them.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,105,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You have in your location at least 15 Masonic lodges that you could also try to contact, they can usually be found in the local phone book and more than likely you'll also find some of their members are also veterans, that would be more than happy to help you with this, they would probably take it on as a project, and like UncleBatz says, you could also try the Shriners Temple, they're also Masons and you'll be treated squarely and on the level by them.
Good advice ptsum. I would think that Christina probably has more than enough information with which to find the folks who can and will help our WWII Vets.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:09 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
There are also vietnam veterans assocaitions all over the country. Since the iraq war they have become very active seeing as how they were treated when they came home.I know around here they go to every soldiers funeral especially since so many nuts seem to be protesting them now days.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,910,995 times
My daughter volunteered at a nursing home in San Diego while I was in the Navy. She got an award for over 2000 hours of volunteer work in one year.

They did some special things for their folks. For instance, they announced that next week, on Tuesday, everybody is going to Hawaii. Then on Monday night they papered the windows with Hawii advertisements and banners. They made fake palm trees. They cooked all Hawain dishes all day. All of the staff dressed in Hawain dress. They even got some Hawain folks to come in and dance and sing. Residents loved it.

They did Hungarian day, Mexico day, Japanese day, etc. About once every 2 weeks. The residents really got into it and so did the staff.

Might think of having a WWII day. Certainly something that could be done with that. maybe have some movies playing on the TV, staff could dress as USO, or even Uniforms. Make everybody drink out of tin cup and metal tray. haha Could have some fun with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues