U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times

Advertisements

I work at a nursing home, and we have several residents who served in the military (particularly overseas during WWII), as well as women who had to work while their men were overseas. They are proud of what they did and I'd like to organize something to honor them, and also to give them an opportunity to discuss their experiences with others. But I am not sure how to go about it. I'd welcome any ideas. I was thinking about seeing if there is a local VFW and seeing if they had any suggestions, too. I don't know of any other organizations that are affiliated with veterans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 AM

10,494 posts, read 10,067,507 times
The DAV is also a veterans organization that can help you in this. One little side note that you could possibly do if you have the time, talk to these individuals, get their stories, take a recorder with you and sit down and have a conversation with them, let them tell you about what they know or what they remember about that time, so many of our World War II veterans are passing away and were losing that bit of history that they remember, there are stories that people don't even know about during that time period. You would be doing them a great honor just to sit and listen to them and record their stories.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:50 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
Terrific suggestion, ptsum, to record the WWII stores. My SIL actually published a wee but beautiful book of the local Vets stories with some outstanding photographs as his final college project back in the 90s.

The reactions of the contributors were heart-warming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
The DAV is also a veterans organization that can help you in this. One little side note that you could possibly do if you have the time, talk to these individuals, get their stories, take a recorder with you and sit down and have a conversation with them, let them tell you about what they know or what they remember about that time, so many of our World War II veterans are passing away and were losing that bit of history that they remember, there are stories that people don't even know about during that time period. You would be doing them a great honor just to sit and listen to them and record their stories.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:57 AM

1,356 posts, read 5,324,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
One little side note that you could possibly do if you have the time, talk to these individuals, get their stories, take a recorder with you and sit down and have a conversation with them, let them tell you about what they know or what they remember about that time, so many of our World War II veterans are passing away and were losing that bit of history that they remember, there are stories that people don't even know about during that time period. You would be doing them a great honor just to sit and listen to them and record their stories.
I agree. I did an internship at an Air Force museum when I was in grad school. Part of what I did was interview and record two vets and then transcribe the interviews for the museum's archives. What a cool opportunity. One of them was a Tuskegee Airman.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:10 AM

272 posts, read 715,014 times
Fantastic post!
Living histories are great! Record on Video the Vet. and post the films on your site! Many Veterans in their later years are more willing to recount the disturbing stories of their years in the War, which ever conflict it happened to be....
I thought my service was significant...But I get routinely humbled when I listen to my relatives, Marines, Sailors, Airmen...Medics....recount what they survived....it just is beyond comprehension....I don't know how they did it...Yet it is valuable beyond the words even....the connection you can have with these men....And I think that it definitely has therapeutic qualities....It has a healing effect for them....for ME even....I and I wasn't even born....
My one Uncle was in the Marines. He wanted to fight in Europe, but because he was a German-American, and his father had been in the German Army of WW1 my Uncle was considered a 'risk' so he went into the Marines and off to the Pacific.
His Battalion went to Okinawa....and only SEVEN survived...He was one of the seven...
When he got back to the States...he had an anger management problem....nightmares..and all sorts of other issues...And he never talked about it....Not even with all the hoopla for the guys coming home.....
Years later another relation who was high up in the service invited my Uncle to go back to Okinawa to visit....[and to golf]. We all STRONGLY encouraged my Uncle to do so in the hopes that this would 'put to bed' some of those horrid memories....He did go...and got to tour THE VERY SAME CAVES he cleared some 60 years earlier....
I can only imagine....no....not even imagine what this was for him.....But after that...when he got back....he started talking about it....And we laughed when he laughed....we cried when he cried.....we went over photographs...and let him get it out....and so we all learned something from his experience....and this was a bitter-sweet gift with out equal...

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 02-23-2008 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: ......the few...the proud.....

Old 02-23-2008, 12:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
GREAT posts, All! Not much I can add on this one...

Old 02-23-2008, 12:42 PM

4,743 posts, read 8,435,394 times
Quote:
Honor Flight Tennessee Valley is an organization dedicated to transporting our Tennessee Valley veterans to visit their memorials in Washington, D.C. These trips are free of charge to the veteran.
Honor Flight

Old 02-23-2008, 01:05 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I work at a nursing home, and we have several residents who served in the military (particularly overseas during WWII), as well as women who had to work while their men were overseas. They are proud of what they did and I'd like to organize something to honor them, and also to give them an opportunity to discuss their experiences with others. But I am not sure how to go about it. I'd welcome any ideas. I was thinking about seeing if there is a local VFW and seeing if they had any suggestions, too. I don't know of any other organizations that are affiliated with veterans.
As a combat veteran I say bravo to you for coming up with this idea. I too agree with recording the events as told by these brave men and women of WWII...The Big one as those Vets call it...and they also call themselves members of the Greatest Generation...and maybe they are right!

Also, you could contact the Masonic Grand Lodge in your State to see if they have a military lodge near your nursing home that would help with this wonderful event of yours.

here is a link to the Grand Lodge of Missouri, which is where I summize you are: Grand Lodge of Missouri.

As a Veteran, I salute you!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 04:08 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
I appreciate all of your suggestions. If you think of any others, please post them

Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post

Some other veterans' organizations are the American Legion and AmVets. You also have groups like the Fleet Reserve and the Reserve Officers' Association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues