Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:44 PM

155 posts, read 196,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I just realized something. He has a concealed carry license and 4 guns. Can he have that if he went AWOL or had a dishonorable discharge?
I'm not trying to throw blame here, I know you're a civilian and honestly the media has not informed you of any of this; but people throw around the term "Dishonorable Discharge" way too frequently. Most people with DDs are still sitting in Leavenworth or something.

Other Than Honorable is the most frequent for AWOL/UA and maaaaybe Bad Conduct Discharge; but in the Marines I saw a lot of UAs and every one of them was a General (OTH) (General Discharge under other than honorable circumstances).

Now I may be way off here but I don't think either an OTH or even a BCD (Bad Conduct Discharge or Big Chicken Dinner if you prefer) would prevent someone from owning firearms.

TLDR: Unless you went UA and joined up with ISIS or something you're not getting a DD. Those are reserved for seriously bad juju like murder, rape etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 PM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I just realized something. He has a concealed carry license and 4 guns. Can he have that if he went AWOL or had a dishonorable discharge?
A person with a Dishonorable Discharge is considered a felon, thus they can not own a firearm.
https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2010/...e-and-nfa.html

A person going UA/AWOL is normally given NJP( nonjudicial punishment), thus they are not a felon and can own firearms.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:58 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
There is a world of difference between having been AWOL and having a DD. He certainly did not get a DD for being AWOL.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
This whole thing sounds fishy.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:06 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, the fact that he told stories about his combat in Nam would have been a tip off to me. I am the age where I knew a number of men who were drafted and most rarely, rarely spoke about anything that happened to them in the war.

Except for a few very innocuous stories about team work, bravery and comradeship my brother never said anything to anyone about the war for years and years. It was only in recent years that he started to share a few stories about his experiences during war, with his close relatives. I think that at age 70, and in poor health, he is starting to think about his own death and he wants to share his stories while there is still time. Most of his stories are still about the bravery of the men that he fought with, honor and futility of war.
This is a bit off topic, but I find this to be true. The men in my family--all of us--have been military since the Spanish-American war. I did not serve in ground combat (although we still had troops in Vietnam when I enlisted), but my father and uncles and older cousins all did, as well as my father-in-law.

And it was true that none of them talked about the grittier combat experiences, not even to me--not even after I had retired from the military myself--until they got very old. It happened to me more than once with them, typically: "Let's go to the VFW." Then among others with similar experiences, after the second beer, they would have a terrible story to tell. And yes, it was as though being near death they had something to unburden while there was still time.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:59 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
If he wasn't in for very long, there's a possibility he washed out of basic or later training and was too embarrassed to state that to others or explain why - medical, legal, could be many reasons, or he just thought it was too private to share. As for his sister and cousin maybe they jumped to conclusions to explain to themselves why. Unless they've seen his documentation, they don't really know what happened and neither do you.

One thing is sure, to get a concealed permit a person has to be in the government's good books, assuming the background check for a permit was done correctly. If he had something to hide or the government was looking for him, it would be really bad judgment to inform the government of his own whereabouts when he applied for the permit.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:51 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I've heard people say in passing they joined the reserves or national guard and just stopped going. I doubt if anything came of it.
Depends on whether they had an obligation or not. Someone who has not fulfilled their initial obligation when they first enter the military, will sometimes have an enlistment that combines active duty with subsequent time to be spent drilling in the Guard or Reserve. It use to be a 6 year obligation, I'm not sure what it is now. Those folks can't just stop attending drills, without repercussions. Beyond that point, it's voluntary with no specific obligation as to a required time period.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:55 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I don't think the punishment problems are the whole issue here ,, I think the possible amount of tall tales he told her is .

I had a older man friend who sucked me in with totally realistic harrowing tales of Viet Nam for 2 years .

Later his son and his ( the older man's) wife approached me in the grocery store parking lot to tell me privately he had only painted aircraft In Midwest City Ok . I felt VERY weird about him after this for listening to hours of fake stories and I was just his friend and hay customer . I did not confront him because I didn't want to embarrass him but anything else he said I took with a grain of salt .. I mean I didn't believe ANYTHING he said after that.
There's a big difference between a veteran embellishing their military experience, and a person who claims to be a veteran who never served at all.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, the fact that he told stories about his combat in Nam would have been a tip off to me. I am the age where I knew a number of men who were drafted and most rarely, rarely spoke about anything that happened to them in the war.

Except for a few very innocuous stories about team work, bravery and comradeship my brother never said anything to anyone about the war for years and years. It was only in recent years that he started to share a few stories about his experiences during war, with his close relatives. I think that at age 70, and in poor health, he is starting to think about his own death and he wants to share his stories while there is still time. Most of his stories are still about the bravery of the men that he fought with, honor and futility of war.
This is really the truth because I do know someone who was there in very heavy combat and he speaks the same way your brother does . I was born in '62 near Ft Hood so I was only 11 when it ended . I am embarrassed to say that he also said ( of course ) he was in the Rangers when all of this happened and I DID think it was strange but possibly true . I'd never known this guy prior to being his hay customer and was too young to know many people who actually went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
There's a big difference between a veteran embellishing their military experience, and a person who claims to be a veteran who never served at all.
This was WAY more than embellishing .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues