Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:03 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's not the same as a married 19 year old E-3 who joined up "wanting to see the world".
And I pointed out to the OP some of the significant considerations she would faced. But to say that marriages rarely succeed in the military is not a true statement. At least not in all the services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 09:26 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And I pointed out to the OP some of the significant considerations she would faced. But to say that marriages rarely succeed in the military is not a true statement. At least not in all the services.
I wish there were studies that showed how many service members hitting 20 years were never divorced vs the same age group of civilians.

Yes, I served a long time ago when divorces were more rare, yet I never met an enlisted married man with over 10 years service who hadn't gotten divorced once.

I'm sure there were many, but I never met a single one in my Navy air squadron.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:29 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I wish there were studies that showed how many service members hitting 20 years were never divorced vs the same age group of civilians.

Yes, I served a long time ago when divorces were more rare, yet I never met an enlisted married man with over 10 years service who hadn't gotten divorced once.

I'm sure there were many, but I never met a single one in my Navy air squadron.
And I also gave recognition that the Navy presented special challenges to marriage.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:56 AM

383 posts, read 397,998 times
Although I spent 6 years in the Navy and experienced/learned a lot that I used going forward in my civilian career (Nuclear Power Program), I would recommend the Air Force for a married couple. The deployments in military life is tough (esp. on young couples) and the Air Force seems to give you the best chance of being together. Good luck and congratulations on being part of the solution to a free nation.

Lou

Old 12-18-2016, 10:00 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Take the ASVAB. Nobody [including you] has any idea of what jobs you qualify for, until after you have taken the ASVAB. After you have taken the ASVAB, then talk to each recruiter and see what jobs they each have to offer you. Then come back here and we can talk about it.

In my experience, marriage rarely works in the military. I served 20 years on Active Duty. I have worked with easily 1,000 crewmen during my career. I saw a total of 3 marriages that were long-term marriages. On the other hand, I have seen well over a hundred divorces. I made 17 deployments, at the end of every deployment, each crew had multiple divorces waiting on us when we surfaced.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:28 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Take the ASVAB. Nobody [including you] has any idea of what jobs you qualify for, until after you have taken the ASVAB. After you have taken the ASVAB, then talk to each recruiter and see what jobs they each have to offer you. Then come back here and we can talk about it.
I fully agree with Submariner on the above...

Old 12-18-2016, 10:46 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I firmly believe in the ASVAB.

People ask: "What is a good job in the military"? I think that every job could be a good job for someone.

The 'best' job for me is different from what the best job for you might be.

Allow the ASVAB to match you to jobs that might suit you.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
I don't know many people who thought about doing 20 yrs before doing a single day. I say give it one enlistment or one tour at a time and make that 20 yrs decision when you get to 8-10 yrs. Often, it's out of your control anyway as you must follow a certain progression, be promoted in a timely manner, and show an aptitude for more responsibility with promotion.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:29 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
The bad thing about taking the ASVAB first, you're pretty much involved with a recruiter at that point. Remember they're salespeople. There to shove you in the job that has the most openings. (for the most part) They have quotas. They're looking to get promoted by as many enlistments as possible. I really think someone should have a solid idea of what they want (and from what branch) before they see the recruiter. And have your first second and third choices ready.

Also, I think there are studies...at least, when I was in Marine basic the Chaplain told us (and I'm probably not accurate on the exact statistics but it was something like this) "within a year, 70% of you will be married. Of that number, 50% of you haven't even met him yet." True for me.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
There is a plethora of ASVAB books for sale at book stores or at libraries...

Here is the ASVAB website: http://official-asvab.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues