Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTipover View Post
The fact you are even considering hiding this tells me you are not fit for the Military. Do us all a favor and find something else to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
If you need to ask people online about this, I don't think your judgement and maturity are fit for military service.
I was never in the Military, BUT, I can think of three classmates that enlisted and before they left that summer got similar type charges...two for under age drinking, one for disorderly conduct. No idea if they told their recruiter (I know one of them did, because I saw the recruiter with him when I was in court for a traffic ticket) and they all served their enlistments, one of them is still in. This was 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 07:21 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
The fact that you didn't submit to authority does not bode well for a military career .. when you have to follow orders every second of every day.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:43 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
There is no question, the answer is YES. Find him/her and let them know immediately. Don't pick up the phone and call them, unless it's to schedule an appointment to see them, this is a face to face, 'here's what happened' conversation.
As others have said, regardless of the security level, it will show up on your investigation for security. I have a very high (TS/SCI w/polly) clearance and they know what I did in high school and that was almost 40 years ago...
If you're allowed in, you will have to follow orders, do stuff you have no desire to do, with a smile on your face 24/7. You'll have to take orders from people you'll despise, and listen to them tell you things that will make you want to rip their head off their shoulders, all the while, saying 'Yes Sir!' with honor and dedication.
Go and see your recruiter NOW! And I hope you've learned a valuable lesson from all of this.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:34 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I was never in the Military, BUT, I can think of three classmates that enlisted and before they left that summer got similar type charges...two for under age drinking, one for disorderly conduct. No idea if they told their recruiter (I know one of them did, because I saw the recruiter with him when I was in court for a traffic ticket) and they all served their enlistments, one of them is still in. This was 10 years ago.
Will it always come up? No it won't but it sure will if you're investigated for a clearance. Not all personnel in the military have a secret or top secret clearance. Those are done on a need to know basis.

The point is are you just going to do the right thing when someone is looking?

People's lives can depend on you. The livelihood of your family could depend on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The fact that you didn't submit to authority does not bode well for a military career .. when you have to follow orders every second of every day.
Yep, we're told when to eat, what to wear, when to be somewhere, and even have to ask for permission to use the bathroom.

Civilians ask why is it like that? Because when you're trying to win wars, you don't need some rogue questioning orders, you need guys to fight and win. Are there exceptions of when you should question a lawful order? Of course, there are exceptions to almost everything but that's not what we're talking about here.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:27 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody06 View Post
I spoke with my Navy recruiter on December 13 at 16:00 and later that day I was arrested for disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace at a basketball game at my highscool. The only reason I was arrested was because I knew my rights and gave the officer a bit of attitude about the whole situation which I know now was dumb to give him attitude but anyway nothing i didnwas threatning or violent and neither was anything I said. It was just dumb comments I yelled(not threatening or vulgar) to try and distract the other teams players and the referee at the game took exception and I was thrown out and arrested in the parking lot. i have court on January 9th and I plan to get a lawyer and have the charges dropped which I believe It would be highly likely for them to be dropped because I have never had any prio run ins with the police for any reason other than speeding(no tickets even). Should I tell my recyaout this the next time we meet? And will it ruin my chances of getting into the Navy?
The recruiter should know, so he/she can try to help you find a position despite the arrest. Otherwise they might waste a lot of time trying to get you to sign up for something you won't get. Though they all do background checks, some might be willing to forgive the arrest if you explain it in advance, especially if the charges are dropped. But if you don't account for what happened, they will assume the worst - that you are dangerous and deceitful.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:30 AM

973 posts, read 914,962 times
Good luck. I hope you learn to take orders and obey authority very soon.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTipover View Post
The fact you are even considering hiding this tells me you are not fit for the Military. Do us all a favor and find something else to do.
that's the thing, the military needs some Service Members who have an edge to them but know when to throttle it -be bold and tough on the battlefield......but not in garrison

Old 12-19-2016, 01:13 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
It will ruin your chances for A LOT of things! Behavior means a lot in society.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
in·teg·ri·ty
inˈteɡrədē/
noun
noun: integrity
the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
Study the meaning of this word. You will be rewarded repeatedly in life if you try to apply it to everything that you do.

As my father used to say, "Integrity is what you do when nobody is looking."

Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Get it dropped. I don't think it's necessary to run right to them unless you already have plans to see them before you go to court.

I'd put it to them as a hypothetical "let's say I got arrested but was never convicted of being a bonehead at a hs game... would you want to know that?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues