U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:12 AM

12,638 posts, read 9,755,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I generally dislike Wikipedia as a source, but that summary pretty much matches my recollection from when it was happening.

Mine to. I figure they'll stay with the 9 in this new rig. I would rather see that than going to a 40. If they did that there would certainly be no excuse not to go back to the 45. I've only used one 9 platform I actually liked. A Browning Hi Power. And the thing about the 9 is what they're using today isn't anything like what the Germans were using in WW2. Their ammunition was considerably more zippy than what is in issue today. Standard, modern 9mm won't run most vintage German weapons like the MP40.

It's an old and tired debate about pistol calibers. Still, when you consider the cartridge use in sub guns as well, I'd still favor the 45. Hmm, 1928 Thompson or M3 or some 9mm platform (minus the MP40...good weapon there). If a guy had to unleash a barrage on a bunch of terrorists inside a room or other close quarters I'd personally rather do that with 45 over 9.

I saw a live fire comparison between the British Sten ( and the 1928 Thompson against ballistic dummys in a room setting, both weapons deployed from a distance of about 10-20 yards on targets placed at varying distance from the shooter. Lol, there was no comparison. The Thompson just obliterated the entire room and every target whilst the Sten left a couple alive.

Well, we can discuss all these points but sadly it's not up to any of us what will be put into issue. They'll stay with the 9 no doubt. At least it's an upgraded platform. Never did like the M9. And special ops still use the 45 in various platforms regularly. It's hardly been just taken out of service. And time marches on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:49 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,062,963 times
Can anyone explain to me why they went with a striker-fired design over a hammer? The 9mm caliber, use of polymer, and modular design make perfect sense. However, my favorite aspect of my p226 and p2022 is the fantastic trigger once the hammer is back. You are certainly not going to get that with a striker design.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:03 PM

15,416 posts, read 7,814,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Can anyone explain to me why they went with a striker-fired design over a hammer? The 9mm caliber, use of polymer, and modular design make perfect sense. However, my favorite aspect of my p226 and p2022 is the fantastic trigger once the hammer is back. You are certainly not going to get that with a striker design.
Moduarity is more important for the military than the relatively slight difference in trigger...once the hammer is back, which it generally would not be for the military.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:10 PM

15,416 posts, read 7,814,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I generally dislike Wikipedia as a source, but that summary pretty much matches my recollection from when it was happening.
As I recall, the deal was not for commonality of handgun ammunition, but a sop to Europe to get them to go with American-contracted major hardware.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 1,552,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
We (2Rep) and several other parachuting regiments use the Glock 17A. It did it's job.

In the alley ways and small segmented housing of a few places I've been it was easier to pop that around a corner and let off a few rounds than it was to swing around a rifle and try and fire that whilst tied in a knot.

Sometimes a pistol is just what you need.

The British Forces also replaced their Brownings with the Glock 17 in 2013.

Glock 17 9mm pistols replace Browning for UK forces - BBC News

The Glock 17 and Sig P320 are both good sidearms.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:25 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,286,483 times
A friend bought a SIG SAUER P320 and after about 9 magazines he began to have occasional stoppage. He contacted Sig and was advised to return the pistol to them for some work and it would be given back to him.
The Sig person he talked to stated they were familiar with the problem.
He has not got the gun back yet.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:56 PM

5,009 posts, read 7,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
A friend bought a SIG SAUER P320 and after about 9 magazines he began to have occasional stoppage. He contacted Sig and was advised to return the pistol to them for some work and it would be given back to him.
The Sig person he talked to stated they were familiar with the problem.
He has not got the gun back yet.
How long has he waited for the repair? If months it might be an issue. If it has been a week or two maybe not?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How long has he waited for the repair? If months it might be an issue. If it has been a week or two maybe not?
I think it has only been a week to ten days. I will update when he gets it back.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
This is what I got back from him when asking how long it was taking.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought the full size 9mm, to see if it was superior in any way to the glocks. I sent it back after failure to fire number 2, it arrived at Sig Sauer 2/2. Their website says about 3-4 weeks turnaround. Will keep you posted, right now I'm a little pissed, after carrying a Sig on duty for nearly 20 years the last thing I expected was a defective design
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 AM

335 posts, read 229,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

I suspect this is going to boost sales for Sig Sauer a lot. For some reason, when people hear the term military grade or that the military uses a particular piece of equipment, they think it has to be the best.

But for those of us who have served, we always go back to the term "lowest bidder."
That made me laugh. I belong to a shooting club where if something is "GI" or mil-spec it is touted as something special. I think in my head, "it must be a piece of crap".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues