Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,061 times

Advertisements

so i've been trying to join the Air Force for about a year. i had prevriously told the recruiter last june that i was anemic and all my recruiter requested was a letter from my doctor stating that i did not require any medication if i joined the services. i told my recruiter that i could easily take iron pills that you can find on the shelf in walmart or any drugstore around. or just start changing things and adding things to my diet. and even the recruiter that was in the office at the time said it's not anything serious because it happens to a lot of women and it can honestly fall on diet. but anyways that letter was waived and i was sent to MEPS. but something came up and i didn't swear in. in may of this year i went back to the same recruiter and he got me to MEPS within a week of me returning to him. when i went to MEPS the doctor there told me i was never supposed to be sent back up because my bloodwork was going to expire in june and that i needed to go get new bloodwork done. in march of this year i had gotten my blood drawn at my personal doctors office and they needed that. so i got another letter from my doctor, same one as last years, and they did not waive that. MEPS requested that they need the actual lab work of my blood levels. my blood levels were below the norm by +/- 0.5. my recruiter took two months to get back to me to tell me that the surgeon doctor did not approve my lab results for my blood levels. and said "good luck with everything try again in 6 months". i continuously had to call his cell phone and text him and he was taking days and even took a week to get back to me.

so now i'm looking at my second option of joining the Navy. but i do not know if my file with the Air Force recruiter will be transferred to the Navy recruiter or if i get to make a whole new file. I know someone who is in the Army for their 6th year and they are anemic just like i am and they never told their recruiter and the Army never found out. so i was wondering if i contact a Navy recruiter if i should just keep it mum that i'm anemic or tell him that i am and risk being disqualified. i never swore in for the AF or sign any contracts with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
You can't "keep it mum" as your medical records at MEPS are common to all services. The cat is out of the bag at this point...

They will transfer your MEPS file from the USAF to the USN once you start processing with the Navy and your recruiter submits the required paperwork for the transfer. You'll then need to meet the Navy's standards and if you need a waiver it will be submitted to the Navy for a decision.

DO NOT hold out hope for trying again with the AF in 6 months. That is something recruiters tell you just so they don't have to tell you that all hope is lost. If your surgeon general waiver with the USAF was denied already it is not likely to be approved unless there was something significant that happened. Anemia isn't going to cure itself in 6 months.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,061 times
thank you so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues