U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:36 AM

4,672 posts, read 4,635,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I served with the riverine force in 1967-68. I was issued a black beret and a Junk Force pin to wear on it.
JFK authorized the black beret, so that gives it a date of some sort.

The Brown Water Navy, as we called ourselves, was not very well trained. We more or less trained each other, and no, there was no "repel boarders" training. We were just a bunch of sailors doing absolutely the best we could.

Our basic job was to board and inspect junks, but we always secured them alongside us first, so there was no shooting our way in or anything like that. We just stepped aboard as the man with the 50 Cal on the bridge watched over us.
Did you ever have to get off the boat and go inspect a riverside boathouse, or go into a village right along the banks of the shoreline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 01:01 PM

4,163 posts, read 930,138 times
I was a Radioman from 1968-1972, and am still an avid naval historian/fan. Littoral warfare has a large role in our present day navy--and part of that is landing parties--usually by Seal forces..sometimes combined with ship's company Gunners Mates/Bosun Mates.
Marines are usually invasion/beach-head forces. Which is not to say that they wouldn't be included in any operation...if they were needed.
As far as Boarding operations--ad hoc boarding parties are still a part of Operations training aboard most vessels. Deck crews are taught small arms and shipboard combat techniques. Anti-piracy missions often include boarding operations. Coast Guard crews board vessels all the time, as part of their mission to interdict illegal drugs and others smuggling operations.
Repelling boarders? Depends on the size of the ship...Large capital vessels have a Marine complement responsible for security....and they do practice small unit tactics aboard ship. Smaller vessels usually train up their deck crew...Bosun's Mates/Gunners Mates in the event they are needed. In Port--especially hostile ports--securing the ship's perimeter and planning for small boat attacks is standard. Bombings are the main concern...but it is conceivable that hostile forces could attempt a boarding--to what end I'm not certain..in the unlikely event we lost a vessel..it would be considered hostile and destroyed.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:37 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Does every ship have marines?
I was going the other way. Does any ship not dedicated to amphibious warfare still have a Marine contingent? I thought they were withdrawn long ago like they were after North Korea invaded as they were needed elsewhere

Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 9,707,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If they are going that far upstream on the boats, then it really is more about land than about the sea. That is why I think the army should just get their own boats.

Does the US Navy still teach tactics for coming to shore in small groups, or seizure of other boats or even repelling boarders?
Have you ever heard of the US Marine Corps? That's their mission. Navy Seals specialize in hit and run ship to shore or ship to ship missions.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:14 PM

I took the question to be if I was assigned to US Destroyer can I get close quarters battle training without volunteering for the Infantry. I would think that most ships would now have teams with the boarding and counter boarders training as an additional mission.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:09 PM

193 posts, read 282,179 times
In the early 1960's, one Sunday in port Norfolk, Va, on the USS Dewey (DLG14/DDG45) the crew was called to quarters and briefed that people protesting nuclear weapons were outside the D & S base gate trying to get in to come to our pier and board us. Later in the afternoon the OOD called away "Repel boarders, Port side." We were directed to break out fire hoses and drive people away with water. Base police soon arrived and restored order. No protesters boarded us.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Have you ever heard of the US Marine Corps? That's their mission. Navy Seals specialize in hit and run ship to shore or ship to ship missions.
I was mostly asking about ships that dont have a marine contingent, and for missions other than a full on amphibious assault or a special operations mission. What those missions be, not sure really? (Maybe an emergency stop for supplies in non-allied territory which would require some security precautions.) (just trying my best to make something up).

Old 01-29-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I took the question to be if I was assigned to US Destroyer can I get close quarters battle training without volunteering for the Infantry. I would think that most ships would now have teams with the boarding and counter boarders training as an additional mission.
More like is close quarters battle training ever a part of naval training doctrine and is it still taught today?

Or even is some ground combat and CQB ever a part of general naval warfare doctrine for sailors not just marines in case ship has no marines?

Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 AM

7,394 posts, read 7,294,114 times
Alot of our posters are showing their age. US Navy ships no longer have MARDETS except for Amphibious Assault ships. The last MARDETs were withdrawn in 1998.

To answer the question, US Navy sailors were trained to serve as infantry at least through the 1960s. Landing parties were a common mission until around WWII. I once read an article about this on the Navy's history website. I'll see if I find can find it.

My paternal grandfather was a US Navy Seabee in WWII and they were definitely trained and equipped for a ground defense role. I won't say they were "infantry" but they could perform the role if absolutely necessary.

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...y-us-navy.html
Here we go. Very good read!

Old 01-29-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Alot of our posters are showing their age. US Navy ships no longer have MARDETS except for Amphibious Assault ships. The last MARDETs were withdrawn in 1998.

To answer the question, US Navy sailors were trained to serve as infantry at least through the 1960s. Landing parties were a common mission until around WWII. I once read an article about this on the Navy's history website. I'll see if I find can find it.

My paternal grandfather was a US Navy Seabee in WWII and they were definitely trained and equipped for a ground defense role. I won't say they were "infantry" but they could perform the role if absolutely necessary.

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...y-us-navy.html
Here we go. Very good read!
So it happened before 9/11. My cousin was trained to work on the Intruder but was given an early out after the Gulf War when they were retired. After 9/11 he went back on active duty and had that "Marine" mission on the USS Enterprise and you don't get any larger than a super carrier. If they didn't have a Marine contingent an AEGIS destroyer certainly isn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues