U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 03:11 PM

4,765 posts, read 4,755,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Alot of our posters are showing their age. US Navy ships no longer have MARDETS except for Amphibious Assault ships. The last MARDETs were withdrawn in 1998.

To answer the question, US Navy sailors were trained to serve as infantry at least through the 1960s. Landing parties were a common mission until around WWII. I once read an article about this on the Navy's history website. I'll see if I find can find it.

My paternal grandfather was a US Navy Seabee in WWII and they were definitely trained and equipped for a ground defense role. I won't say they were "infantry" but they could perform the role if absolutely necessary.

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...y-us-navy.html
Here we go. Very good read!
That is a great article. It reminded me of this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Stockton

He is credited with capturing California, but I was wondering why him? He is a naval commander. Apparently he did go ashore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM

7,481 posts, read 7,410,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That is a great article. It reminded me of this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Stockton

He is credited with capturing California, but I was wondering why him? He is a naval commander. Apparently he did go ashore.
Also, a battalion sized force of sailors were used as infantry during the defense of Correigdor during WWII. They were attached the 4th Marines, and by all accounts performed as well as they could before the Japanese forced them to surrender.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 AM

8,818 posts, read 13,908,128 times
@WIHS: Good article, thanks. Yep, had no idea that marines dets have been pulled off ships. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 PM

498 posts, read 977,771 times
Re:Was repelling boarders or boarding party training ever a big part of US Navy training? What about shore landing party training?
USN gunboats on the China service had to have both. At least once a week they did "repel boarder" drills. River pirates were a threat and the ship's crews were expected to land and do service protecting US interests on shore.
See the film "Sand Pebbles" but also read the book, written by a guy who was there.
By the way, the USN wasn't the only country to have gunboats in China. Germany, Portugal, France and the UK had gunboats patrolling Chinese waterways

Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 PM

454 posts, read 183,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If they are going that far upstream on the boats, then it really is more about land than about the sea. That is why I think the army should just get their own boats.
The 10th Transportation Battalion, a unit of the 7th Sustainment Brigade based at Fort Eustis, Va., conducts port and vessel operations to move cargo from port to port or from ships anchored at sea to the shore. According to information from the U.S. Army Transportation School, Army watercraft move 90 percent of the U.S. forcesí supplies and equipment for operations throughout the globe.

Yeah, the Army has a maritime section...

Old 06-08-2017, 02:57 PM

592 posts, read 304,791 times
I was on the Enterprise at the beginning of the 2000's. We were very basically trained on ship defense, anti-boarding party ops. They first explained where the gun lockers were located, and where the additional ammo storage was. We were then taken onto the deck, where we were given a very basic weapons course, and had live fire training with M4's, and M9's, and shotguns. Later that day, they set up a .50 cal and we had live fire practice with it. We also had some training on how to identify targets within the vessel, how the "safe word" system would work, and what types of objects provided cover, and what didn't. While in port, we had "watches" in various places, all armed. I only got picked for "deck" watch, which was fun because you got to walk around the deck. Our orders while in port was to ask for ID, and if the target appeared hostile, we had orders to shoot. We didn't need any other permission. I never needed to fire at anyone, however, a friend of mine did disable a small fishing boat with a .50 cal that got too close to the frigate he was on, while they were at port in Greece. The guy was stone drunk, it cost him his boat.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:11 PM

7,753 posts, read 6,183,965 times
I served in the 1990s. I manned the fire hose in Athens Greece when some locals were protesting us patrolling off the coast of Bosnia in 1992. They didn't get through the gate so I didn't have to use the hose.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,895,903 times
Marines don't provide security at Navy bases anymore either. BIG mistake, imo. We had an intruder "bring a knife to a gunfight"...literally, he had a knife. The kids at the gate freaked out and drew weapons - only one sailor was shot. PLEASE bring back the Marines!

Old 06-10-2017, 12:37 PM

7,481 posts, read 7,410,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Marines don't provide security at Navy bases anymore either. BIG mistake, imo. We had an intruder "bring a knife to a gunfight"...literally, he had a knife. The kids at the gate freaked out and drew weapons - only one sailor was shot. PLEASE bring back the Marines!
I know this is going to hurt alot of feelings but I think the Marines have become too full of themselves, they see their traditional functions as "beneath" them in this day and age. Look, I know Iwo Jima and all but seriously; base defense, embassy duties, and ship detachments are all important missions.

The Marines need to stop trying to become a military within the military complete with their own commandos and air force and focus on certain core missions: amphibious assaults, defense/security of naval bases (share this duty with Navy MAs), bring ship detachments for carriers and vessels in certain areas like the Middle East, and special missions like embassy security, Camp David, evacuation of US citizens from hotspots, etc.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,261,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I know this is going to hurt alot of feelings but I think the Marines have become too full of themselves, they see their traditional functions as "beneath" them in this day and age. Look, I know Iwo Jima and all but seriously; base defense, embassy duties, and ship detachments are all important missions.

The Marines need to stop trying to become a military within the military complete with their own commandos and air force and focus on certain core missions: amphibious assaults, defense/security of naval bases (share this duty with Navy MAs), bring ship detachments for carriers and vessels in certain areas like the Middle East, and special missions like embassy security, Camp David, evacuation of US citizens from hotspots, etc.
Is that the doing of the Marine Corp or the nation needing ground and aerial combatants?and since they're trained and on duty we do not want to waste that resource on a lower threatening mission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues