U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:22 PM

27,584 posts, read 43,257,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Was repeling boarders or boarding party training ever a big part of US Navy training? What about shore landing party training?
I have been through training to repel boarders many times.

I have never seen any training on boarding parties.

Quote:
... Was there ever the thinking that sometimes the ship and sailors may need to dock or come ashore like on a beach, away from home turf and therefore require precaution?
Not during my career [1970s, 80s, 90s - 01]

The US Navy does have beach landing craft though, to take forces ashore.

Quote:
Does every ship have marines?
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:10 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,928,781 times
The ships I was on had their own ship's security force or Master At Arms. It would have been suicide to try to board my first ship, USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 while deployed. It had about a thousand sailors and about two thousand Marines. Some Navy ships could have easily been boarded and taken over. The problem with boarding and taking over a ship is intelligence. If you already know the ship's layout, number of crew, where is the ship's crew most vulnerable, and having the right man and fire power to get the job done then you can take over a ship. Taking it over doesn't mean you can force the crew to operate the ship for you nor does it mean they won't do things to disable the ship permanently. How they'll do this depends on the ship and the individual divisions.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM

3,423 posts, read 1,590,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I know this is going to hurt alot of feelings but I think the Marines have become too full of themselves, they see their traditional functions as "beneath" them in this day and age. Look, I know Iwo Jima and all but seriously; base defense, embassy duties, and ship detachments are all important missions.

The Marines need to stop trying to become a military within the military complete with their own commandos and air force and focus on certain core missions: amphibious assaults, defense/security of naval bases (share this duty with Navy MAs), bring ship detachments for carriers and vessels in certain areas like the Middle East, and special missions like embassy security, Camp David, evacuation of US citizens from hotspots, etc.
How about you let DOD and the Marine Corps worry about their Corps missions. I'm guessing you never served as a United States Marine and you know nothing about the way it functions. Amazing how many Marine Corps experts have never worn the uniform. Semper Fidelis.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:45 PM

4,614 posts, read 4,548,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
Re:Was repelling boarders or boarding party training ever a big part of US Navy training? What about shore landing party training?
USN gunboats on the China service had to have both. At least once a week they did "repel boarder" drills. River pirates were a threat and the ship's crews were expected to land and do service protecting US interests on shore.
See the film "Sand Pebbles" but also read the book, written by a guy who was there.
By the way, the USN wasn't the only country to have gunboats in China. Germany, Portugal, France and the UK had gunboats patrolling Chinese waterways
I saw that movie with Steve McQueen. It is pretty melodramatic. Did McQueen's character sacrifice himself, I cannot remember?

Old 06-11-2017, 06:19 AM

4,400 posts, read 2,067,373 times
Quote:
I saw that movie with Steve McQueen. It is pretty melodramatic. Did McQueen's character sacrifice himself, I cannot remember?
Spoiler Alert for the movie
Spoiler
He was the senior man in the rear guard and was going to be the last man out as the rest of his detachment made it to safety when he was hit with the "I was home...what happened...what the hell happened?"

Old 08-20-2017, 09:49 PM

4,614 posts, read 4,548,265 times
What about during the Banana Wars? This was before the creation of the Fleet Marine forces. Did the Navy deploy any sailors on ground combat missions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues