U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 08:31 PM

4,549 posts, read 8,001,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
AIR FORCE PARARESCUE!!! And you get flight pay, hazardous duty pay, dive pay, etc. Research Pararescue. They're who the SEALS, Rangers, Recon call if they need help!!
If they need help? Lol, you really need to quit with the recruiter sales pitch. We're not a bunch of teenage kids that don't know any better. The SEALS, Rangers, Recon are not going to call the PJ's to help them fight themselves out of a mess.

You don't think the other branch special forces get flight pay, hazardous duty pay, dive pay, jump pay, etc.??

Quote:
I'm sorry, I beg to differ. Just look at the physical tests to become a SEAL vs Pararescue. You have to swim faster, run faster, and do more calisthenics to become a PJ. They also have an employable skill (Paramedic).

80% of people make it through SEAL training, 5% make it through PJ training... just sayin'
I think you meant to say 80% of people DON'T make it through SEAL training.

From official Navy sources..."How many SEAL candidates make it through BUD/S? Each year about 1,000 SEAL candidates start SEAL training. Although training success rates vary per class, usually about 200-250 SEAL candidates succeed each year."

Lol, typical recruiter repeating nonsense they heard some other recruiter say at one time or the other. Do your research before you repeat this nonsense making yourself look less credible.

Just sayin'!

By the way...PJ's didn't make the list.

Top 10 Badasses of the World’s Special Forces

Last edited by LBTRS; 02-08-2017 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 PM

681 posts, read 345,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dking413 View Post
Hey so I was wondering which of these military branches is the best in terms of money benefits and overall bad assery marines army or air force. I've heard a lot of people say that the marines are, but with my own research it seems that air force is the best but only slightly.
Also which of these is the most elite army rangers, marine force recon, or air force tactics. Thank you
you can't have both benefits and badassery.

Air Force has the best benefits, army has the most badassery.

Which is most elite? Army Rangers, now I am biased because I was one. That's like asking a Giant fan if Dodgers are better, there's only one right answer.

This question is awfully childish though, I'm hoping your a minor with military aspirations and not just a troll.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 PM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
If they need help? Lol, you really need to quit with the recruiter sales pitch. We're not a bunch of teenage kids that don't know any better. The SEALS, Rangers, Recon are not going to call the PJ's to help them fight themselves out of a mess.

You don't think the other branch special forces get flight pay, hazardous duty pay, dive pay, jump pay, etc.??

I think you meant to say 80% of people DON'T make it through SEAL training.

From official Navy sources..."How many SEAL candidates make it through BUD/S? Each year about 1,000 SEAL candidates start SEAL training. Although training success rates vary per class, usually about 200-250 SEAL candidates succeed each year."

Lol, typical recruiter repeating nonsense they heard some other recruiter say at one time or the other. Do your research before you repeat this nonsense making yourself look less credible.

Just sayin'!

By the way...PJ's didn't make the list.

Top 10 Badasses of the World’s Special Forces
YES! That'at what I mean to say. I total reversed my thought on that one. I edited my post.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 PM

I'm not sure what about my post was recruiter nonsense? If you're talking about the 80% make it through... then yes, that was non-sense but it was a typo. Other that that, the post was true.

PJ does have around a 90% attrition rate... I overinflated it 95%, but I just corrected my post. Surviving Pararescue Training Is Simpler Than You Think. Multiple sources get it around 90% attrition, and all sources say over 80%.

Your SEAL numbers you quoted show just under an 80% attrition rate.

Just for fun- Navy SEALS vs. Marine RECON vs. Air Force Pararescue vs. Army Rangers - Page 7 - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Anyway, we can agree to disagree. PJs don't get the same publicity as SEALs, that's too bad, but they're still badder than bad!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:56 PM

ABSOLUTELY The SEALs are aided by/helped/rescued by PJs!!

You were saying??

From Popular Science, "In fact, when a Navy SEAL takes a hit, it might be an AFSOC PJ who leaps from the sky to provide aid."
The Medic of the Modern Battlefield

"Pararescue, because even the Navy Seals have to call 911 sometimes."

Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Here's the SEAL qualification test:

SWIM 500 YDS.Side stroke/breast stroke 12:30 min
PUSH-UPS (within 2 min) 42
SIT-UPS (within 2 min) 50
PULL-UPS (no time limit)6
1.5 MILE RUN 11:00 min

Here's the PJ:
2 x 25 meter underwater swim (Pass/Fail) (SEALs not tested on this at all)
500 meter surface swim <10:07 – MORE THAN 2 MINUTES FASTER THAN SEAL REQUIRES
1.5 mile run <9:47 – MORE THAN 1 MINUTE FASTER THAN SEAL REQUIRES
10 pull-ups – (VS 6 for SEAL)
54 push-ups – (12 more than SEAL)
52 sit-ups – (2 more than SEAL)

So... what I said was indeed correct about the qualifications standards being higher than SEAL.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 PM

4,549 posts, read 8,001,354 times
Quote:
Here's the SEAL qualification test:

SWIM 500 YDS.Side stroke/breast stroke 12:30 min
PUSH-UPS (within 2 min) 42
SIT-UPS (within 2 min) 50
PULL-UPS (no time limit)6
1.5 MILE RUN 11:00 min

Here's the PJ:
2 x 25 meter underwater swim (Pass/Fail) (SEALs not tested on this at all)
500 meter surface swim <10:07 – MORE THAN 2 MINUTES FASTER THAN SEAL REQUIRES
1.5 mile run <9:47 – MORE THAN 1 MINUTE FASTER THAN SEAL REQUIRES
10 pull-ups – (VS 6 for SEAL)
54 push-ups – (12 more than SEAL)
52 sit-ups – (2 more than SEAL)

So... what I said was indeed correct about the qualifications standards being higher than SEAL.
The test you listed is the PST which is given to high school kids enlisting into the SEAL pipeline. It is a screening test to determine their ability to succeed in SEAL training. It isn't a "qualification test" to become a SEAL. The "qualification test" to become a SEAL is completing BUD/S and the other training that SEALS go through.

Listing the screening test to get into a training program says nothing about the rigor of the program once you are in.

My original post was posted with sarcasm because everyone thinks theirs is "best". Maybe that was missed by you and why you decided to lay on the recruiter sales pitch.

Anyway, PJ's are highly trained medics in a supporting role, they are not front line offensive forces which is why most people don't consider them as "bad ass" as the others.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The test you listed is the PST which is given to high school kids enlisting into the SEAL pipeline. It is a screening test to determine their ability to succeed in SEAL training. It isn't a "qualification test" to become a SEAL. The "qualification test" to become a SEAL is completing BUD/S and the other training that SEALS go through.

Listing the screening test to get into a training program says nothing about the rigor of the program once you are in.

My original post was posted with sarcasm because everyone thinks theirs is "best". Maybe that was missed by you and why you decided to lay on the recruiter sales pitch.

Anyway, PJ's are highly trained medics in a supporting role, they are not front line offensive forces which is why most people don't consider them as "bad ass" as the others.
Yeah, that's the recruiter in me. The PST is the test for people to qualify to get a contract for SEALs, as in an applicant off the street who wants to join as a SEAL. That's the qualification test for a SEAL contract... not graduation. Same with the PJ test I posted. That's the test given to civilians to see if they can get a PJ contract.

We're all good! I'm teasing too!

PJ absolutely do combat. Blackhawk Down, the real story, it was AF PJs.
Lucas Lutrell, an AF PJ famous for combat missions.

These are highly trained combat medics. They take lives, sometimes with their bare hands.

https://sofrep.com/66650/air-force-v...ack-hawk-dies/

You are correct that they are somewhat defensive, "The PJs are the only unit designated by the Department of Defense primarily to rescue and recover U.S. personnel trapped behind enemy lines"
Elite team rescues troops behind enemy lines - CNN.com

I do get a little defensive because PJs don't get the credit they deserve. They're not well known, and they're not well advertised.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 AM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
'Overall Badassery' that is very subjective. Far too difficult to define. IMHO

'Money Benefits' all services pay the same 'base-pay'. An E5 at 4 years makes the same base-pay whether they are in the Army or Navy or USCG. It is all the same [for base-pay].

However I have seen a wide variation among services regarding total take-home pay.

I retired in 2001. Since that time a few times have changed. During most of my career, I got: BAQ, BAS, COLA, VHA, Sub pay, Career sub pay, Sea pay, Career sea pay, Sea pay kicker, and Female Separation Pay, all in addition to base-pay. My take home pay varied from 3X to 4X my base-pay. Though I have spoken with servicemembers whose base-pay was the majority of their take home pay. I have had a number of tenants who out-ranked me, and whose annual pay was less than half of my annual pay.

I also got SRB every 4 years. My SRB was capped at $65k, I got SRB every 4 years when I re-upped. When I retired they bumped the SRB cap to $90k every 4 years.

All servicemembers get paid base-pay from the same pay chart, so all base-pay is the same between all services. The only differences I am aware of lie with all of the assorted other pays and bonuses that are given out.

Also my career made it easy for me to be tax-free. Consider two guys making the same total pay. If one of them is paying 30% of his income to the IRS, and the second is not, their take-home pays will be widely different. As a sub crewmember one of my assigned duties was tax preparer, so I prepared tax filings for all crewmembers on each boat I served on. As such nearly all of our crewmen were tax-free.

I would never recommend going into any service for the pay alone. Though pay is a factor. I made enough that I was able to begin buying one apartment complex at each of my duty station, starting when I was an E5. When I eventually retired after 20 years of service, those assets helped me a great deal.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:40 AM

31,385 posts, read 18,420,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dking413 View Post
Also which of these is the most elite army rangers, marine force recon, or air force tactics. Thank you
Marine Reconnaissance teams provide intelligence for active small unit operations on the battlefield. Recon is capable of harassing an entire enemy battalion for long periods of time; tracking enemy units for larger American forces; or conducting well-orchestrated raids on high-valued targets.

The Rangers are deployable to anywhere in the world within 18 hours. They are primarily a direct-action force.

There are other "elite" special forces, or special operation units.

They are all DIFFERENT. How can you compare oranges to apples? It is like me asking who is better? A neurosurgeon or a cardiothoracic surgeon. It is about teamwork. Plus, it is not like you can "join" a special force unit. You have to be qualified.

It is always us civilians arguing and bickering over who is the "most badass" elite special force. The real special force guys know they do different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or