U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 595 times

Advertisements

I am going to be graduating with my B.S. in Accounting next semester, I will be turning 33 right before graduation and want to see if I can make a run at being a Navy Officer. I'm curious on how to start the process and what to expect during. Any advice would be great, I know it will be difficult, I know it will be hard, I realize I will probably have people laughing at me, but I'll just have to find a way to cope. LEZGO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:22 PM

9,809 posts, read 4,924,995 times
Wanting to Become a Naval Officer

Old 02-14-2017, 10:09 AM

497 posts, read 832,019 times
If I recall correctly, the Navy has separate recruiters for enlisted and officer, with only a couple per state for the latter. Call your local recruiting office and ask for the officer recruiter's contact info. They can get you started.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 AM

9,752 posts, read 9,556,617 times
The requirements seem to change like the wind. Best bet is to talk to a recruiter. Last time I looked into it, the recruiter stated the max age for a Navy officer was 42, and it was for intel only. I was prior service so I do not recall if that impacted the max age limit or not.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 PM

8,412 posts, read 12,853,520 times
I think the max age to be commissioned (as a non specialty person) is 35, so you better contact an officer recruiter ASAP.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:16 PM

1,479 posts, read 283,160 times
LOL. Old man at age 33. I remember when I was 33 and thought I was an old man too. LOL.

I think you will make a fine Naval officer bringing your greater life experiences to your junior officer rank. You need to look good in your dress white uniforms, so, you need to be physically prepared as well as academically/intellectually prepared. Those academic ship tests they give (or gave) to enlisted being newly stationed aboard ship are/were not easy. Or at least I did not find them so at the time. It was foreign to me as a Marine as well.

I've seen enlisted sailors as fat as probably 300 or 400 pounds. I'm not talking muscles, although, you have sailors like that too. But I don't think I've ever seen a fat Navy officer.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:08 PM

18 posts, read 5,294 times
LOL NO, you're not old. 33 years old can blend in as E-4 (pushing it at e-1/e-2) though (I met a 35-36 year old e-4, and he blend in 'kind of' but he look like 26). I think in the officer field 33 can blend in with O-1 easily.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 AM

420 posts, read 160,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocltist View Post
LOL NO, you're not old. 33 years old can blend in as E-4 (pushing it at e-1/e-2) though (I met a 35-36 year old e-4, and he blend in 'kind of' but he look like 26). I think in the officer field 33 can blend in with O-1 easily.
Take my word for it...if he goes to Navy OCS as a 33-34 year old, he will be called the "old man." I went through Navy OCS at age 25 an they called me the old man....

--

Old 03-02-2017, 09:42 AM

22,318 posts, read 33,192,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasboy84 View Post
want to see if I can make a run at being a Navy Officer.
Go for it!!! And good luck!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:12 PM

131 posts, read 190,784 times
Went through Marine OCS when I was 22, and it could be different from Navy OCS but average age in my platoon seemed to be low 20s. Every platoon, however, DID have at least 1 or a few guys above 30. Quite a few were prior enlisted and/or from different branches. Our oldest was 33. Nobody really gave a **** about age though.

What you'll want to do is find the Navy Officer recruiter in your area. Before you go, study up online and on forums regarding which MOS (job) you want. They have accounting officers too if that's what you want to do.

Your Navy officer recruiter, or OSO, will get you ready for OCS, the commissioning process you'll have to go through. OCS is 3 months long and just keep in mind it's not like enlisted bootcamp where they will try to "build you up" into a soldier. OCS is designed as a screening process. That means they're looking for leaders and so not everybody will pass selection.

While your OSO arranges your ship out date, get yourself into military shape. Muscular endurance is the key. Guys with a football linebacker's build struggled to keep up, while wrestlers, cross country runners, and rowers did well.

Learn to do proper military-form situps and pushups. When they test you, they will not count it if it's not done their way. Drill instructors will not pick on you as much if you're an absolute beast on the physical assessments so aim to crush these by maxing out each category. Situps, pushups, and a 1.5 mile run are what you'll be scored on. Come to OCS in the best shape of your life. It'll be one less thing to stress out about.

There's also an educational side where they teach and then test you on Naval/military history but if you're decently smart it'll be a joke.

OCS will be stressful. Be confident, speak loud, think, and remember to help out your fellow candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues