U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:59 AM

4,175 posts, read 4,583,915 times

Advertisements

I was Army but worked with the Navy in joint assignments. It appears that nuclear officers are their elite and nuclear enlisted the same.

If son is interested in the Navy and is of the caliber to be appointed to the Naval Academy that would be my preference as a parent. If he is interested but wants a quick turnaround military service time, then nuclear enlisted could make the world his oyster.

All depends upon him. And I wouldn't worry about your son not obeying nonsensical orders or whatever you said. At that level that wouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:09 AM

434 posts, read 159,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
They probably can't talk about technical details because it is classified.

Err, no. Telling a prospective recruit about what various military occupational specialties (MOS) aka jobs entail is by no means classified. They are not discussing the technical details of a submarine but rather what various MOS are, etc.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:18 AM

9,416 posts, read 9,142,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Yesterday a Navy recruiter approached my 16 year old son. He is a straight A student, and scored extremely high on the ASVAB also was the highest score in his high school on the PSAT. He takes mostly honors courses, is familiar with statistics, calculus, power series and what not.

My hope was to find a college that interested him, but the Navy is influencing him at school. The recruiter specifically mentioned submarines. He told my son he would be an officer (it occurs to me petty officer is non-commissioned), he also mentioned nuclear submarine (but to the best of my understanding all modern US submarines are nuclear).

He is about 6'1" and may go to 6'2". He loves Internet, particularly online games. He doesn't respond well to nonsensical directions.

Does anyone have experience on a US submarine that can help me understand and relay to my child what is being offered. At some point, it would be nice to meet this recruiter.

I was on a submarine. It seems he has been offered to try to go into the nuke program. I was in comms, so I did not go through, but knew plenty of people who did make it through, and who did not. It is a difficult pipeline academically from what everyone has told me. The Navy is always looking for people to go through this as it has a high attrition rate, in school and after, hence the high reenlistment bonuses.

His height is no issue, I am 6'4" and was just fine. The nonsensical directions is also not an issue, everyone has some quirk about them, the armed forces is not made up of robots, all acting and thinking the same.

If the recruiter mentioned officer, he probably meant petty officer, and probably stating he is guaranteed e4 or e5 (depending on rate) or something upon completion of the nuke training, which is long enough to meet time-in-grade requirements anyway.

I will say though, being a nuke (that is what we call them) is no joke, it is long hours and some serious work. They are drilling all of the time and have tons of maintenance, training and exams. It takes a special type to tolerate that stuff year after year. But if someone gets through nuke school, they probably have the qualities to make in in the fleet.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 AM

52 posts, read 13,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I spent 15 years in Navy Recruiting Leadership, I retired five years ago.

Your son can't be offered anything by a recruiter. That happens at meps. Also, your son isn't going to be an officer. If he is being recruited out of high school that is for the enlisted ranks.

He would need a college degree to become an officer. Has he investigated the academies?
From the OP's comments, it sounds as though this recruiter is encouraging the NUPOC program. You can be working on your bachelor's degree when applying for that program.

https://www.navycs.com/officer/nupoc.html

Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM

52 posts, read 13,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I was on a submarine. It seems he has been offered to try to go into the nuke program. I was in comms, so I did not go through, but knew plenty of people who did make it through, and who did not. It is a difficult pipeline academically from what everyone has told me. The Navy is always looking for people to go through this as it has a high attrition rate, in school and after, hence the high reenlistment bonuses.

His height is no issue, I am 6'4" and was just fine. The nonsensical directions is also not an issue, everyone has some quirk about them, the armed forces is not made up of robots, all acting and thinking the same.

If the recruiter mentioned officer, he probably meant petty officer, and probably stating he is guaranteed e4 or e5 (depending on rate) or something upon completion of the nuke training, which is long enough to meet time-in-grade requirements anyway.

I will say though, being a nuke (that is what we call them) is no joke, it is long hours and some serious work. They are drilling all of the time and have tons of maintenance, training and exams. It takes a special type to tolerate that stuff year after year. But if someone gets through nuke school, they probably have the qualities to make in in the fleet.
Oops, I just re-read the post and you are right. He probably did mean petty officer, which would be the enlisted route.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:13 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,571,542 times
I'd be kind of pissed if some recruiter was talking to my kid in detail without me, filling his head with this stuff. Are they allowed to do this at your son's school? If the military wants to talk to the kids, they should ask to meet with the kids and their parents

Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM

425 posts, read 110,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I'd be kind of pissed if some recruiter was talking to my kid in detail without me, filling his head with this stuff. Are they allowed to do this at your son's school? If the military wants to talk to the kids, they should ask to meet with the kids and their parents
It used to be parents could opt out of military recruiters in public schools, but part of the common core remove parental notification / involvement. Many agencies in government, and the private sector get a ton of data from common core. I requested the card or phone number of the recruiter. My guess is they are working sales magic on a young, smart, but not as smart as he thinks he is, young man.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:12 PM

21,932 posts, read 32,093,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Quote:
Congress has passed two major pieces of legislation that generally require local educational agencies (LEAs) receiving assistance under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)1 to give military recruiters the same access to secondary school students as they provide to postsecondary institutions or to prospective employers. LEAs are also generally required to provide students' names, addresses, and telephone listings to military recruiters, when requested.
The entire document: https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/...10-09-02a.html

Old 02-24-2017, 05:11 PM

4,087 posts, read 6,226,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
From the OP's comments, it sounds as though this recruiter is encouraging the NUPOC program. You can be working on your bachelor's degree when applying for that program.

https://www.navycs.com/officer/nupoc.html
The OP's son is 16 and isn't eligible for the NUPOC program. I can assure you the Recruiter is not encouraging the NUPOC program. The recruiter is looking for an enlisted recruit to make goal with, they don't recruit for the NUPOC program in high schools.

Last edited by LBTRS; 02-24-2017 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 05:18 PM

4,087 posts, read 6,226,234 times
To the OP, when you say he mentioned a "nuclear submarine" he was talking about an Ohio Class submarine which carries Trident Ballistic Missiles or cruise missiles. Otherwise known as "Boomers".

All US submarines are nuclear powered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues