U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 PM

5,897 posts, read 4,391,094 times

Advertisements

Considering joining the US Navy is a great idea. I suggest he go the college route with NROTC and become an Officer versus Enlisted right out of high school. This is from one that was both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,106,587 times
I don't know how high he scored, but National Merit Scholarships are awarded high scorers. His school counselor should be advising.

National Merit Semifinalist Cutoffs Class of 2018 – Compass Education Group

Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 PM

627 posts, read 374,941 times
I heard the French Foreign Legion still exists.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:40 PM

78 posts, read 19,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The OP's son is 16 and isn't eligible for the NUPOC program. I can assure you the Recruiter is not encouraging the NUPOC program. The recruiter is looking for an enlisted recruit to make goal with, they don't recruit for the NUPOC program in high schools.
Please refer to my next post in the thread, post #15, I did correct myself in regards to that program.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 PM

816 posts, read 748,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I don't know how high he scored, but National Merit Scholarships are awarded high scorers. His school counselor should be advising.

National Merit Semifinalist Cutoffs Class of 2018 Compass Education Group
National Merit will often get you full tuition if not a full ride at major universities. If he truly scored highest on the PSAT in his school, and attains national merit, college is the best first step to anywhere.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:32 PM

2,658 posts, read 599,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post

He doesn't respond well to nonsensical directions.

In that case, he might have difficulties in any branch of the Military.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 AM

7,753 posts, read 4,887,382 times
I'm at a sub base right now. Submariners are coddled. My boss is a retired nuke officer. He's pretty awesome. They are a different bunch but well respected (and not well understood)

That's all I know. He needs a degree to be a nuke officer so, unless that's specified, he would probably start enlisted.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:22 AM

2,275 posts, read 3,564,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Yesterday a Navy recruiter approached my 16 year old son. He is a straight A student, and scored extremely high on the ASVAB also was the highest score in his high school on the PSAT. He takes mostly honors courses, is familiar with statistics, calculus, power series and what not.

My hope was to find a college that interested him, but the Navy is influencing him at school. The recruiter specifically mentioned submarines. He told my son he would be an officer (it occurs to me petty officer is non-commissioned), he also mentioned nuclear submarine (but to the best of my understanding all modern US submarines are nuclear).

He is about 6'1" and may go to 6'2". He loves Internet, particularly online games. He doesn't respond well to nonsensical directions.

Does anyone have experience on a US submarine that can help me understand and relay to my child what is being offered. At some point, it would be nice to meet this recruiter.
Here's honestly what's going on. I have no experience on a sub, but had decades of experience in the active Army. So I can discuss the whole enlistment thing pretty logically.

Recruiting is a numbers game. X contacts yields Y quality prospects yields Z enlistees.

Recruiters have a quota, periodically reset (every month for the army) to put in. Make that quota, it's good. Fail that quota, life is bad.

Quality of a contact/prospect (high GPA, ASVAB, etc.) is good because it raises that ratio of X-Y-Z. A lot of lower-quality contacts simply aren't eligible to enlist, and if the recruiter is doing his best, he's trying to get quality for his service and fill those difficult-to-fill jobs that demand higher ASVAB scores and some familiarity with math-like nukes.

Your son is being contacted because he meets some pretty solid standards and the recruiter thinks he may convert into a prospect, then an enlistee. He's probably better than most, but there are certainly many other prospects with similar qualifications. You should probably not mistake that with the kind of recruiting being done for selective colleges or corporate executives, which focus on *one* person with unique qualifications and will continue to raise the stakes until they get the person they want. If your son walked in such a way that the recruiter did not think he could entice him back, it would disappoint the recruiter for a nanosecond, and he would then move on to the next prospect.

The Navy (and any service) offer a lot of rewards-both tangible and intangible. I defy anyone to show me a job that will pick you up fresh out of high school, train you, house you, feed you, and pay you an equivalent wage (remember, you're not paying for health care, food, housing, you can generally live without a car, etc.) for an 18-year old. You can see a lot of unique, life-changing things very early on. You have the ability to develop an unbeatable work ethic (or learn to sham like a champ if that's how you roll). But it's not danger-free and it's not for everybody.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,106,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
National Merit will often get you full tuition if not a full ride at major universities. If he truly scored highest on the PSAT in his school, and attains national merit, college is the best first step to anywhere.
Absolutely. Those are game changers. High scoring students frequently take the tests more than once to get maximum score & secure one.

Last edited by historyfan; 02-25-2017 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM

7,547 posts, read 5,163,952 times
The recruiter is doing his job. No more, no less.
Now, it is time for YOU to do your job: Being a parent. Sit down and talk to your son. Tell him that in any interview, whether it be military, civilian, college, or whatever, if it isn't in writing it is meaningless. An interviewer, recruiter, head-hunter, etc. can promise the moon and get away with not delivering UNLESS it is written down and signed.
While you are being a parent, please remember that your son is entering his late teens. It is time for him to start making his own decisions, and dealing with the consequences of those decisions. What YOU want him to do and be is no where near as important as what HE wants to do and be. Your vision for his life may be anathema to him.
I will sign myself as USN (RET), former Recruiter, and father of 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues