Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

We have hired several Registered Nurses that were able to use their military service to became RNs

All said it was a great career choice... some were able to challenge the State requirements based on their military experience and others were able to pay for nursing school with their military education benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Absolutely. Those are game changers. High scoring students frequently take the tests more than once to get maximum score & secure one.
False information. Nat'l Merit Scholarships are based on Junior year PSAT scores only. The PSAT is given once a year. Sophs and freshman can take the test, but only the score from one's Junior year is eligible for scholarship consideration.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 AM

18 posts, read 21,384 times
I know the Army is offering 2 year contracts, enlisted, (for your son case.... I wouldn't do a 4 year enlistment unless he plans on going contractor or something in which $$$). And that has to be his passion, like computers or something, but there is a chance to get sidetracked get stuck in the enlistment too long, and that's when it hurts to go back to original plans because he would be older. In my opinion, he needs to get a highly trained job that is marketable, not go into a field "anyone" can do. ((I saw some 25 year old college graduates go enlisted to get highly train jobs; it was their passion though... and they were active duty))

Although 2 years enlistment wouldn't be a bad deal, because he would get 80% of the GI bill (although I think your son could get scholarships without GI bill).

I don't recommend it for him, my opinion, officers make a lot more money than enlisted.

If he's going to go enlistment, go reserves or National Guard so he can still finish college quite easily, pick up a pay check, maybe get a short deployment *navy is easy about that* (like 6 months). It would be the biggest bang for the buck. TSP too is there too. TSP could be worth millions by age 60.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:58 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Yesterday a Navy recruiter approached my 16 year old son. He is a straight A student, and scored extremely high on the ASVAB also was the highest score in his high school on the PSAT. He takes mostly honors courses, is familiar with statistics, calculus, power series and what not.

My hope was to find a college that interested him, but the Navy is influencing him at school. The recruiter specifically mentioned submarines. He told my son he would be an officer (it occurs to me petty officer is non-commissioned), he also mentioned nuclear submarine (but to the best of my understanding all modern US submarines are nuclear).

He is about 6'1" and may go to 6'2". He loves Internet, particularly online games. He doesn't respond well to nonsensical directions.

Does anyone have experience on a US submarine that can help me understand and relay to my child what is being offered. At some point, it would be nice to meet this recruiter.
Greetings;
I served on Polaris, Poseidon and Trident classes of submarines during my 20 year Naval career.

The Navy has different specific recruiters for commissioned officers separate from enlisted recruiters. It depends on which type of recruiter your son is talking to, as to which career path was being suggested [I wonder if this person was steering your son toward Annapolis].

When I was 16, I was approached by a Navy reserve officer who offered to groom me for Annapolis. [That was the exact time that I decided to become a sub ET. 26 years later I retired as a sub ET]

All submarine jobs require a fairly high ASVAB score. Most nucs and AEF personnel aced the ASVAB when they were at meps. As a result, the sub fleet has a lot of men who are above average intelligence.

If he likes it, the bonus money is pretty good too.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:15 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The recruiter is doing his job. No more, no less.
Now, it is time for YOU to do your job: Being a parent. Sit down and talk to your son. Tell him that in any interview, whether it be military, civilian, college, or whatever, if it isn't in writing it is meaningless. An interviewer, recruiter, head-hunter, etc. can promise the moon and get away with not delivering UNLESS it is written down and signed.
While you are being a parent, please remember that your son is entering his late teens. It is time for him to start making his own decisions, and dealing with the consequences of those decisions. What YOU want him to do and be is no where near as important as what HE wants to do and be. Your vision for his life may be anathema to him.
I will sign myself as USN (RET), former Recruiter, and father of 5.
What say you to my advice which is go to college on NROTC and then go in in as an officer versus enlisted?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocltist View Post
... If he's going to go enlistment, go reserves or National Guard so he can still finish college quite easily, pick up a pay check, maybe get a short deployment *navy is easy about that* (like 6 months). It would be the biggest bang for the buck. TSP too is there too. TSP could be worth millions by age 60.
Most reservists only get paid for their drill time on one weekend a month. That is a very tiny paycheck. Because it is only a part-time job. You still need a career somewhere.

Some of your post does not make any sense.

"... get a short deployment *navy is easy about that* (like 6 months)" What does that phrase mean?

Old 02-25-2017, 02:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
I'll have to ask. I come from a country where there's still conscription (Finland), and I did my 1-year mandatory service. I graduated as an E-4 and later after reservist rehearsals promoted to E-5.
What are the benefits in the US armed forces for people who serve 4 or 8 years? Free college? Free healthcare? What else? OK, and you get a decent wage (which we didn't get).

If the future prospects are good, I don't think this path is a bad way to go at all. Even after 8 years your son is only 24 and has all his future ahead of him.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'll have to ask. I come from a country where there's still conscription (Finland), and I did my 1-year mandatory service. I graduated as an E-4 and later after reservist rehearsals promoted to E-5.
What are the benefits in the US armed forces for people who serve 4 or 8 years? Free college? Free healthcare? What else? OK, and you get a decent wage (which we didn't get).

If the future prospects are good, I don't think this path is a bad way to go at all. Even after 8 years your son is only 24 and has all his future ahead of him.
If you have no other healthcare, or service-connected healthcare issues, I believe there's a way to use Veterans Administration.

A (very) good chunk of money towards college, trade school, or vocational training-easily the best benefit overall. Really favorable home loans. Some preference for government jobs. The ability to transition to the Reserves and have your active time count towards Reserve retirement. With the new active retirement plan, potentially a good chunk of money saved up.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:11 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If you have no other healthcare, or service-connected healthcare issues, I believe there's a way to use Veterans Administration.

A (very) good chunk of money towards college, trade school, or vocational training-easily the best benefit overall. Really favorable home loans. Some preference for government jobs. The ability to transition to the Reserves and have your active time count towards Reserve retirement. With the new active retirement plan, potentially a good chunk of money saved up.
That sounds like a good deal for a lad just out from high school who is uncertain of his/her future or is financially poor.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:15 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
That sounds like a good deal for a lad just out from high school who is uncertain of his/her future or is financially poor.
Well, I think it's a good deal-but it's complicated. Let me be blunt: how many wars has Finland been in, in the last 50 years or so? Ones where you can get yourself blown up, or limbs amputated?

Now ask the same about America. Joining our military does bring a bit of danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues