U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:00 PM

6,758 posts, read 6,901,666 times

Advertisements

just curious. Why did he take the ASVAB? Unless things have changed that was a voluntary test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 04:55 PM

26,957 posts, read 41,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'll have to ask. I come from a country where there's still conscription (Finland), and I did my 1-year mandatory service. I graduated as an E-4 and later after reservist rehearsals promoted to E-5.
What are the benefits in the US armed forces for people who serve 4 or 8 years? Free college? Free healthcare? What else? OK, and you get a decent wage (which we didn't get).

If the future prospects are good, I don't think this path is a bad way to go at all. Even after 8 years your son is only 24 and has all his future ahead of him.
As an E5 in the US Navy [with all the extra bonus pays given to submariners] I was able to begin buying apartment complexes, one at each duty station]. When I reached 20 years of service I was an E6 and pensioned. I had amassed 4 apartment complexes. My portfolio bought a farm. My pension has been enough to support my family through the long process of getting this farm up.

You are correct that it is not a bad wage.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:56 PM

2,931 posts, read 2,186,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
False information. Nat'l Merit Scholarships are based on Junior year PSAT scores only. The PSAT is given once a year. Sophs and freshman can take the test, but only the score from one's Junior year is eligible for scholarship consideration.
I must have misunderstood sophmores taking it multiple times. I have only known a few National Merit Scholars & they had been prepping in year previous.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,178,324 times
I can't give advice concerning life in the Navy, because I was in the Army. However, after my service was up, in civilian life I worked several years in a nuclear power plant. My point is, if he completes the Navy nuke program and maybe decides he will not stay in, he will be in high demand in a nuclear power plant. The utility I retired from employed a lot of Navy nukes. These type jobs will never be exported overseas.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 PM

9,185 posts, read 4,634,215 times
I was a Navy Nuke.

When I joined the Navy as enlisted after high school, it was mainly because I had no direction in life and wanted to get away from a bad family situation.

I did poorly academically in high school, and really didn't know what I wanted to do in the Navy even when I went to MEPS. There a counselor sold me on the Navy Nuke program and I decided to go the Machinist Mate route (I guess I did well enough on the ASVAB). I don't know how it is these days, but back when I went through the program it was boot camp, then 'A' school for standard machinist mate rate training, then nuclear power school (boot camp and all schooling was at Orlando back then), then finally prototype training at an actual nuclear power plant in Idaho.

The most challenging part was power school since I was so weak in science/math, but I studied hard everyday after classes and was able to pass, so anyone that has the mindset to pass, can. They do provide the tools to help you succeed.

It was a rewarding field and career. But my biggest regret was not using my free time to pursue a degree. There was so much free time in the Navy I could have gone to at least community college. These days it's even easier to go to school and get a degree while still in the military, there are many schools and programs.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:46 PM

7,671 posts, read 5,271,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
What say you to my advice which is go to college on NROTC and then go in in as an officer versus enlisted?
It can be a good deal, IF the person is willing to put forth a real effort. However, back when I was active duty, there were too many "ROT-SEE" officers who were not smart enough to pour waste liquid out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the heel! Of course, there were also some who were truly great officers.
The branch of service really makes little difference in the officer corps. AFROTC, NROTC, or just ROTC, they all can turn out good people or drones, depending on the person.
The ultimate goal of the person must be considered. If the person is a "hands-on" type, who enjoys working and getting his hands dirty, enlisted may be better. In that event, from personal experience I can say that the Navy schools are much better than the Army's (Yes, I served in both. Please don't ask..). If the person would feel better being a leader instead of a worker, then the officer track might be better.
I was a worker, retired as an E-6, having passed the E-7 test but was not board selected.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:38 AM

8,651 posts, read 8,973,940 times
One of the best scholarships is a Navy scholarship. He would have to get a degree in engineering, but they will pay his tuition, fees, books, room and board and he graduates as an ensign in exchange for a 6 year active duty commitment. They are looking for top quality officer candidates. If he is interested, they may have programs available that would increase his chances of getting a scholarship. Yes, you should contact the recruiter to see what they are offering. Family support is important.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:52 AM

385 posts, read 137,411 times
just remember recruiter has a quota, he is virtually a salesman and is selling the military, they may tell you what you want to hear but once you sign it's another story, the military is great for some but it's not for everyone, just keep that in mind.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:48 AM

22,098 posts, read 32,689,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
just remember recruiter has a quota, he is virtually a salesman and is selling the military, they may tell you what you want to hear but once you sign it's another story, the military is great for some but it's not for everyone, just keep that in mind.
And on the same hand, many young people only hear what they want to hear....

It is a difficult decision. There are currently about 1,429,995 Total Active U.S. Military Personnel. A lot of different opinions, stories, and experiences to relate...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...s_Armed_Forces

Old 02-26-2017, 06:59 AM

38,631 posts, read 41,863,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I'd be kind of pissed if some recruiter was talking to my kid in detail without me, filling his head with this stuff. Are they allowed to do this at your son's school? If the military wants to talk to the kids, they should ask to meet with the kids and their parents
Agreed.
Especially a kid who sounds like he has tons of other options and may wind up with a National Merit Scholarship, college credit from AP classes, etc.

A smart, athletic kid should check out the academies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues