U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:54 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,694,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Nobody gets sent to a sub without volunteering for it first.
Then flip it, man. 'You should be able to get to a sub instead of a carrier no problem,' by a recruiter without the authority to make that stick. The point is that verbal promises are not worth a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 06:15 PM

27,145 posts, read 42,251,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Then flip it, man. 'You should be able to get to a sub instead of a carrier no problem,' by a recruiter without the authority to make that stick. The point is that verbal promises are not worth a thing.
If you volunteer for sub duty, you will need to pass screening, then you will be on subs.

Nobody gets onto a sub without volunteering.

If you volunteer and pass screening, you are going down.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 PM

7,788 posts, read 5,404,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Yes, that is very true, and it does not matter if it is a military recruiter or a college recruiter or a recruiter from any civilian company.
I will say it once again: IF IT ISN'T IN WRITING, IT CAN NOT BE ENFORCED!
It is really just that simple!

Old 02-27-2017, 08:37 PM

9,752 posts, read 9,560,487 times
A lot of things are in writing. What is not in writing are usually things like what coast will be stationed on, or what class of ship will be on. But from just my experience, they guaranteed subs, and the ET rate, E2 upon completion of sub school, and an enlistment bonus.

What they did not tell me is the ET rate split between navigation and communications, but nothing was promised. Also what sub class I was going to be on. But my recruiter never was deceptive with me or anything.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you volunteer for sub duty, you will need to pass screening, then you will be on subs.

Nobody gets onto a sub without volunteering.

If you volunteer and pass screening, you are going down.
I really don't think you understood my point. Subs or not was a made up example. Forget I ever brought it up. Insert your own unenforceable verbal promise by a recruiter.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A lot of things are in writing. What is not in writing are usually things like what coast will be stationed on, or what class of ship will be on. But from just my experience, they guaranteed subs, and the ET rate, E2 upon completion of sub school, and an enlistment bonus.

What they did not tell me is the ET rate split between navigation and communications, but nothing was promised. Also what sub class I was going to be on. But my recruiter never was deceptive with me or anything.
Not every recruiter is deceptive. But you are fooling yourself if you don't think it happens, particularly near a dry quota spell with a kid-that will keep that recruiter from getting blasted if they can get just one enlisted shipped--ready to sign if he can be convinced. The recruiter can use language that isn't even lying (but is still misleading), and the kid will hear what he wants to hear. Mine did, and I did.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 AM

425 posts, read 157,479 times
makes me think of the movie "private Benjamin" pamphlets with beaches and palm tree's.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 AM

526 posts, read 200,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
One: Afghanistan.

I'm not trivialising death or the possible danger or anything, but there's not a huge possibility to be KIA, MIA or WIA in the US Armed Forces either. A fraction of the troops see combat.

I only asked what benefits one might get. There seems to be quite a negative vibe for military service, and I wondered if it really is, especially for someone with not-so-good grades.

Not at all. It is for someone who is qualified (and it's not just having a heartbeat nowadays) as well as someone WILLING to serve (for whatever personal reason). I was an honors student, started college, but then got bored and enlisted in the Marine Corps. Best decision I have ever made. Finished college after that, with only one B and now have a great job thanks to my chosen path. It is true that there are a million different stories out there but it has worked out great for me.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
17,642 posts, read 18,089,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The recruiter is doing his job. No more, no less.
Now, it is time for YOU to do your job: Being a parent. Sit down and talk to your son. Tell him that in any interview, whether it be military, civilian, college, or whatever, if it isn't in writing it is meaningless. An interviewer, recruiter, head-hunter, etc. can promise the moon and get away with not delivering UNLESS it is written down and signed.
While you are being a parent, please remember that your son is entering his late teens. It is time for him to start making his own decisions, and dealing with the consequences of those decisions. What YOU want him to do and be is no where near as important as what HE wants to do and be. Your vision for his life may be anathema to him.
I will sign myself as USN (RET), former Recruiter, and father of 5.
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ Especially the bolded point...

Old 02-28-2017, 09:24 AM

1,272 posts, read 372,126 times
If he's scoring that high on his PSAT, he should also do well on the SAT. If he has the grades and everything else, forget enlisting, he should attempt to get into one of the military colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues