U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 349 times

Advertisements

My fiance got orders to be stationed overseas. He is in the Air Force. I still have a semester left of school so we would not be married until around December of 2017. He will be 6 months into his tour over there. I just want to know what we are up against. He has asked people, but they do not have an answer for him besides command sponsorship. Is it hard to get that sponsorship when he is already over there? I have heard about sending a marriage license to the Embassy overseas do I have to do that even though we are getting married in the states when he takes leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 PM

30,820 posts, read 31,171,334 times
Get legally married before he leaves. Have the ceremony, if you're having one, in December or whenever you like.

What privileges you can access as a domestic partner are severely limited/virtually nonexistent in the military if you are not a legal dependent. This can be varying degrees of complicated when stationed domestically, and extremely complicated when stationed overseas.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:20 AM

9,464 posts, read 9,225,231 times
If you are really going to get married, like you are not waiting until December to see if it "works", then get legally married now. You can have all the fancy BS later.

Sponsorship depends if it is an accompanied tour or not. Some duty stations the military will not sponsor a family going over there. Others require a three year duty, so if he is single it will be two years, and who knows if they will sponsor a family or not.

I got married when I was overseas, they did not sponsor anything. I was on a two year duty, they were not sponsoring my wife nor making any deals like extension to sponsor my wife. This was with the Navy, I do not know if the Air Force is different.

Things do change, so he should be checking into the most recent updates.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM

13,090 posts, read 6,288,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveyourlifeveryday View Post
My fiance got orders to be stationed overseas. He is in the Air Force. I still have a semester left of school so we would not be married until around December of 2017. He will be 6 months into his tour over there. I just want to know what we are up against. He has asked people, but they do not have an answer for him besides command sponsorship. Is it hard to get that sponsorship when he is already over there? I have heard about sending a marriage license to the Embassy overseas do I have to do that even though we are getting married in the states when he takes leave?
Did I miss where you told us the location?

If it's an area where dependents are authorized, I don't see the problem with getting command sponsorship (your husband may have to extend his tour, however). The embassy would not be involved, although you would have to get a passport and a visa. Your husband would handle the matter with your marriage license and other personal papers within his unit, his unit would issue dependent travel orders.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 349 times
He's going to Germany so I know families are allowed to go over there it's just more so what's in the process? We are wanting to wait so I can just graduate college then do it after so I can get school done without distractions. It's not so we can wait to see if we will make it. The original date if he was staying stateside was March of 2018 anyways.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:58 PM

9,464 posts, read 9,225,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveyourlifeveryday View Post
He's going to Germany so I know families are allowed to go over there it's just more so what's in the process? We are wanting to wait so I can just graduate college then do it after so I can get school done without distractions. It's not so we can wait to see if we will make it. The original date if he was staying stateside was March of 2018 anyways.
How is being married a distraction? Your life literally does not change, it is just a legal issue.

He needs to find out if he is going on unaccompanied orders. In the Navy, single people go on these orders and their duty rotation is shorter. Getting married while at these duty stations most likely means no sponsorship. As I stated, I got married while stationed overseas, and the command did not sponsor my wife. I was on unaccompanied orders, a two year duty. Those who were there on accompanied orders were there for three years.

They might extend it, they said no way for me are they extending it so my tour could be accompanied and my wife gets sponsorship.

But he needs to go to his personnel people and get the answers.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:23 PM

4,207 posts, read 4,632,491 times
He needs to check with his personnel office to see if an accompanied tour will be authorized. Just because it is Germany does not mean it will be. If it is, then you either marry before he leaves and you join him later or he flies home to marry in December. If not, then you make your decisions based upon that.

Also don't do what my daughter did and marry before she was ready so 'they' could get the benefits. She rushed into it and it was a bad move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues