U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 AM

509 posts, read 869,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
did you run this by a soldier ?I did and this is what he said you have to be a scum bag to fight for another country.
Sounds like you did a lot of research, so it must be true.

I guess I'm another anomaly: a U.S. veteran who has no problem with it.

By your rationale, American pilots who joined the Canadian and British military forces in the early days of WWII - guys who wanted to fight the Nazis but couldn't due to the U.S. not being involved at the time - were "scumbags." How about those "scumbag" Flying Tigers who fought for the Chinese against Japan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 AM

11,909 posts, read 5,461,845 times
A poll of 5 US JTACs, 3 of them are Special Ops, yesterday: 4 out of 5 had no problem with it, 1 stated it might make future security clearances tough. But no scumbags.

And, make that 5 of 6, I'm a 28-year retired veteran fighter pilot and commander with no problem with it.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 AM

28,053 posts, read 44,121,966 times
I served 20 years on Active Duty in the US Navy.

Along the way I served with men who were US citizens and men who were not. The Foreign nationals that I served with were British, Brazilian, Peruvian, Italian and Georgian. It limits their security clearances but otherwise was not a big deal.

I have also known US citizens who served for Israel and I met a man once who served for Canada.

I do not see any issue with this.

When each of my sons enlisted, their graduation ceremonies had a lot of young men who had enlisted here for the rapid citizenship program.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Quote:
My friend was American as apple pie why would he leave the county he was born in.
Money, to extend his career, to fly, for other career opportunities?

How do you feel about so many soldiers going into Private Military Contracting?

Have you thought that it might be in our countries best interest to have our soldiers in another military?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 8,294,102 times
Quote:
Next time you see a soldier run this by him. I have and they agree with me any american who rather fight for another country than the USA is a scumbag
They may not be eligible to join the US military.... we are crazy strict about our qualifications.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,350,699 times
Quote:
did you run this by a soldier ?I did and this is what he said you have to be a scum bag to fight for another country.

So.........you consider these guys "Scumbags"???Flying Tigers AVG - A Brief History of the Flying Tigers

Old 03-04-2017, 08:53 PM

241 posts, read 116,789 times
Quote:
Next time you see a soldier run this by him. I have and they agree with me any american who rather fight for another country than the USA is a scumbag
That is an idiotic statement. Every single soldier, sailor, Airman, and Marine out there is not going to say that. I wouldn't say that. I'm an Airman. Thus, I have proven my own point. Now prove yours. Oh, wait. You can't.

As has already been pointed out, the US military has some stringent standards. Not everyone can qualify to enlist. Maybe they still want to get military experience, or maybe they want training in a field where the best out there is military training. Maybe they want to travel the world. There are a lot of reasons to join, almost as many as their are servicemembers and prior servicemembers. Wanting to join other countries' military services doesn't equate with being a traitor to the US. Just like growing up in the US doesn't equate to knowing how to spell American English words or use proper capitalization and grammar, apparently.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:25 AM

10,579 posts, read 5,918,857 times
Quote:
You born in the USA you should not be allowed to join a foreign army.You want to join a foreign army whats wrong with the USA army?
They obviously prefer to serve in another military. So what? Do you really want people in uniform who do not want to be there? I don't. And I was glad that when I was in uniform, everyone else in uniform had made the choice to be there.

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure you speak for all soldiers...

Here's some more of your 'traitors/scumbags':

Quote:
For the duration of the Battle of Britain, America was officially neutral, only coming into the war after the attack on Pearl Harbour in December 1941. Many in America supported what Great Britain and her allies were fighting for but memories of World War One were still raw and isolationism was a widely accepted practice within America. However, a few young men – for whatever personal reasons – wanted to offer more than just moral support. A few Americans arrived in Britain and offered to fight for Fighter Command. A ‘special arrangement’ with the RAF meant that they did not have to give up American citizenship. In total, nine American citizens fought during the Battle of Britain.
American Pilots and the Battle of Britain

Old 03-05-2017, 01:09 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,895,903 times
Vet here, too.
I think you should be a citizen of the country for which you serve. When Kuwait was invaded the hired hands that serve in the Kuwaiti military had no loyalty.

If you go fight for them, go live there. And if you fight against us you should be arrested if you ever set foot on U.S. soil.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:13 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,895,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
They may not be eligible to join the US military.... we are crazy strict about our qualifications.
There are other ways to serve your community/country.

I think the phrase "Private Military Contractor" is a bit of a misnomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues