U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:08 AM

2,375 posts, read 3,131,438 times

Advertisements

stevej64, I'm curious about your record of service.

It often seems that those who seem to hold such black and white views are armchair generals at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 06:39 PM

9,319 posts, read 8,787,009 times
Serving in a foreign military doesn't bother me. It's not a decision I'd ever make, but I speak for me and me only. Now the Americans who go overseas to fight for ISIS...may they, each and every one of them, die for their cause!

Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 AM

3,549 posts, read 9,213,052 times
In the 1990s, an American, a Colonel just retired from the US Army, moved to Lithuania to serve as their Army Chief of Staff. I believe he had been born in Lithuania, but fled the country with his parents as a small boy.

I am sure the U.S. government and military were VERY pleased that he assisted in the development of a Lithuanian military force, one which is now a member of NATO.

Service in a foreign military is all about context.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:44 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,795,252 times
American pilots joined the "Lafayette Escadrille" to fight in W.W. 1, because U.S. did not declare war until 33 months in.

Americans joined the British or Canadian army to fight in W.W. 2, because the U.S. did not declare war until 27 months in.

Although it's little known, thousands of Canadians in fact went south to enlist with U.S. forces to fight in Vietnam.

Dr. Mehmet Oz, the U.S. television health-show personality, at one point went to Turkey to serve in their army (his parents came from Turkey).

Old 04-11-2017, 11:40 AM

7,026 posts, read 6,926,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Because in 1967, the US Supreme Court upheld a persons right to serve in a non declared enemy's military and not risk a fine, imprisonment or revocation of citizenship.

The history of why this is allowed is long and colorful. You have to remember that we (the USA) often will establish foreign military units within foreign military branches primarily stocked with Americans to do the deeds we want done. There is no way our government can be allowed to do it for their own purposes and not allow her own citizens to do it for their own purposes. Or, to put it more simply, the USA wants and needs it's citizens to be legally able to serve in foreign military.

There is nothing Un-American and certainly not Traitorous to serve in a foreign military so long as (according tot he law) it is not an enemy's military.
^ this

I know Americans who have served in the IDF, Americans who have served in the British military, and a Danish-American woman who served in a Royal Danish Army's Guard Hussar Regiment in Afghanistan because at the time the US did not allow women to serve in combat arms units.

Not to mention the British Army Gurkhas, the tens of thousands of people from British Commonwealth realms that serve in the British military and vice versa (British in the Canadian military, British in the Australian military, etc), the French Foreign Legion, the Spanish Foreign Legion (recruits foreigners from Spanish speaking countries and Hispanic Americans), etc

Old 04-11-2017, 02:16 PM

4,232 posts, read 3,008,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
stevej64, I'm curious about your record of service.

It often seems that those who seem to hold such black and white views are armchair generals at best.
Judging by the post, the only form of military he has experienced is getting his car insurance through The General.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:13 AM

15,575 posts, read 9,868,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
You born in the USA you should not be allowed to join a foreign army.You want to join a foreign army whats wrong with the USA army?
Why not? Why should patriotism alone be the only reason to join an army, American or otherwise?

You seem to think there's something wrong with joining a foreign army, but thousands of American patriots have, in many wars, out of pure patriotic fervor. They wanted to get into the fight before the nation they loved so much did, and couldn't wait for Congress to catch up with their emotions.

There have been many men who enlisted in a foreign army for valid reasons that have nothing to do with patriotism, and they were never traitors who betrayed their American motherland in any way during their service.
Lots of young men joined the French Foreign Legion just for the adventure it offered, the chance to go places they would have never seen otherwise, for gaining knowledge and experience that could not be found in the American army, or even for the racial and social equality that was only in the Foreign Legion and not in ours.

Others enlist in a foreign army as a way of gaining dual citizenship. It is possible to have patriotic feelings for more than one nation, and it's equally possible that being a citizen of two countries means the person would never betray either of them in any way.

If the Army had to depend on patriots only to perform, it would have never won any wars. It would have never been an effective army, either.
Patriotism is good in a recruit, but so is the opportunity the military may provide, a chance to start over to rebuild a better life, and all kinds of other reasons.

When the reality of military life meets the false expectations that can come from patriotism, the reality usually overcomes, and the patriotism sours into other feelings.

Personally, when I enlisted in the Navy 50 years ago, I was patriotic enough, but the biggest reason I chose the Navy was because it offered me a way to go see the world at a time in my life when I had never seen an ocean, nor had ever been farther east than Denver.

The Navy delivered exactly what I wanted from it. In spades. I literally went around the world several times. I went to places and saw many things I would have never seen.

And from the first, I never intended to make a career of my service; I wanted to get in, advance as much as I could, and get out after serving as good as I could.

All that happened, and patriotism didn't have a lot to do with any of it. I was patriotic then, just as I am now.

I could have done the same, joining the Canadian navy, but ours had a local recruiter. Theirs didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues