U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM

15,860 posts, read 10,046,004 times

Advertisements

I am convinced there is more to the story than we are getting. I can't help but wonder whether or not the young man even went to the testing at all wondering if joining the military is his idea or the idea of someone else. Also, the failing the ASVAB by a good student.

I always found both the Army and Air Force recruiters working very hard to meet the needs of the applicants. I was once stranded at the train station in Detroit during a snowstorm going up for a physical and my recruiter worked to get ahold of someone during the storm, a high ranking AF member who came and picked me up. It was a nightmare, I was just totally lost on what to do. All the times I dealt with both, I watched the recruiters being professional and helping out in every way they could.

I don't know, the story just doesn't sit right. I worked with my older son to get into the military, choose a branch, work with a couple of different recruiters, and this just seems odd.

I would rerun everything by my son about the events. I would have already called the recruiter here in question the day after I picked up my son to get his side of the story and if it matched my son's, I would talk with the supervisor of that recruiter to express my disgust with the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM

841 posts, read 258,100 times
I disagree that you can't get better at taking the ASVAB. I recommend that your son gets a copy of an officer test booklet, so he will learn above and beyond what is on the ASVAB. The math from the AFOQT for example is much more difficult than what's on the ASVAB, so when he takes the ASVAB, the question will look easy in comparison to what he's been studying.

This is just a testament to how poor public schools must be.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM

18 posts, read 64,663 times
I'm not saying this didn't happen to your son, but him not scoring high enough on the ASVAB, but yet able to enroll in college, seems strange to me.

I took the ACT and scored a 22, which is very average and in some cases, below average. That score of 22 is laughable to a good school. But when I took the ASVAB, I scored extremely high, 99 in some categories.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the minimum required for the Air Force is only 36, which in my opinion, would be extremely easy to get to if a student is able to complete college level work.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

2,722 posts, read 7,611,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I'm not saying this didn't happen to your son, but him not scoring high enough on the ASVAB, but yet able to enroll in college, seems strange to me.

I took the ACT and scored a 22, which is very average and in some cases, below average. That score of 22 is laughable to a good school. But when I took the ASVAB, I scored extremely high, 99 in some categories.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the minimum required for the Air Force is only 36, which in my opinion, would be extremely easy to get to if a student is able to complete college level work.
You are correct, if the line scores qualify an individual for jobs. Sometimes we can work with a 36, sometimes you can score a 46 and we can't work with it because of line scores. A 50 is the standard we look for.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

5,868 posts, read 4,352,697 times
Skinhead, Skinhead.
Do not feel blue.
My recruiter screwed me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues