U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 07:56 AM

7,214 posts, read 5,535,865 times

Advertisements

Couple finds veteran lying on the floor of VA | abc13.com

This is just another reason why I'm no longer going to use the VA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 AM

509 posts, read 325,016 times

Old 03-03-2017, 09:34 PM

31,702 posts, read 32,065,969 times
FWIW, VA center director Deanne Seekins released a statement noting that,

"I want to reassure everyone the veteran pictured lying on the floor was not neglected. We spoke personally with the veteran. He stated that he was on the floor because he was more comfortable there and was in fact extremely satisfied with his quality of care and experience. We also reviewed security footage of the incident. Each time the veteran repositioned himself from a chair to the floor staff responded in less than two minutes providing a safe, more appropriate area for him to rest. They also provided him a warm blanket and footstool for additional comfort."

The statement also acknowledged that a nurse's rude treatment was addressed.

Source:

Durham VA hospital takes action after photo of veteran lying on ER floor waiting for help goes viral | The Kansas City Star

Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 AM

8,375 posts, read 12,728,121 times
I didn't watch the video, but the first thing I though of was that it could be a mental health issue -- you can't strap people to a chair in the waiting room. No one in my family has ever had to use the VA; my good friend swears by them.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 AM

119 posts, read 37,918 times
As a retired RN, I will say that this could be a scene from the ER of any of the 5 hospitals I was associated with during my nursing career. Typical waits are 3 hours or longer for cases that are not truly life-threatening emergencies. The waiting room chairs are not comfortable, people get antsy which increases the level of any pain that they might be having, and there is often a "cast of characters" in the waiting room which only increases the anxiety level.

Here's a scene from one hospital I worked in: This women, "Ellen". was what we called a "frequent flyer" meaning she had numerous admissions to our hospital. While there she usually managed to create a ruckus of some kind as she wandered the halls, parading her very overweight body in sheer "baby doll" PJ's.

One day she became angry because the ER would not admit her to the floor. She went outside and lay down just outside the ER exit door, saying that she would not move until she was admitted. Her doctor, leaving the hospital, stepped over her shouting "it won't work Ellen".

Now I realize how awful this sounds but no one thought there was anything unusual about this scene. No one who is familiar with day to day life in the ER. I can imagine how this scene would play in today's world of social media and smart phones.

I do want to say that my husband has had excellent care in VA hospitals in two different states. I have spent quite a bit of time sitting at his bedside and have no complaints about the care he has received. We are in a position to use civilian facilities but my husband has always preferred to go the military route. It is because of the thoroughness of the VA physicians that his rare disease was diagnosed early on through tests that are not typically part of a civilian routine checkup.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:08 AM

4,328 posts, read 6,198,749 times
Not defending anyone but, that VA is in Durham, NC and sees HUGE # of patients. In the medical profession is it highly regarded for the quality of care it provides. Some of its providers are from the best training programs in the US and the world. Sounds like the triage nurse was rude(?) and had been reprimanded, but it doesn't appear the patient's treatment was compromised in any way.

As to the patient laying on the floor, it sounds like that was his preference given the only choice then was a chair until they offered to take him back to give him a gurney or bed. I think the moment a staffer sees a patient doing this, they should offer them additional assistance and or a gurney. But I wasn't there so I can't judge.

I will say that I can relate to wanting to take to the floor in such a situation. The last time I had a kidney stone episode and went to a local ER, I was minutes away from taking to the floor rather than a chair, as my pain (at the early phase) was easier to handle laying down rather than sitting up. I never sit on a floor anywhere, and in my right mind would NEVER choose a hospital floor, yuck! I think the video/pics simply don't tell the whole story.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:26 PM

222 posts, read 76,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

I will say that I can relate to wanting to take to the floor in such a situation. The last time I had a kidney stone episode and went to a local ER, I was minutes away from taking to the floor rather than a chair, as my pain (at the early phase) was easier to handle laying down rather than sitting up. I never sit on a floor anywhere, and in my right mind would NEVER choose a hospital floor, yuck! I think the video/pics simply don't tell the whole story.
I had the exact same reaction to my kidney stones (been through it twice). For some reason it was much more comfortable to crouch on the ground in the fetal position, especially since I had to wait in the military clinic (I was a tech school student at the time) until I could catch the bus that could take me to the hospital where a doctor could ACTUALLY see me and diagnose me. (Clinic thought I was faking it to get out school. People, I was acing that school. I would FAR rather have been learning Morse code than hunched over in pain for hours.) Until someone feels the pain of a kidney stone, they have NO idea. People say the closest pain is labor before childbirth. Done that twice, too, and let me tell you, it's a completely different beast. Kidney stone pain is so much more centralized, and there's rarely a relief like you get when you're contracting. It's almost entirely constant. I don't blame that man one little bit for not wanting to sit in a chair or even stand against a wall. All you want to do is hold onto your middle and hope the pain ebbs just a little bit.

And a gurney wouldn't have done much good, either. He would just have curled up on that, too, and trust me, he wouldn't have noticed how much more "comfortable" it was. There is NO comfortable with a kidney stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues