U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:21 PM

26,679 posts, read 41,222,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atat91 View Post
I know there are a ton of posts like this (I've gone through dozens of them) but I still could use some help deciding. I am considering the following positions: Photojournalism in the Air Force, Mass Communications in the Navy, or Marine Science Technician in the Coast Guard.

So far I am leaning towards the Navy because it's my understanding that you can't exactly pick your rate in the Air Force and there is an 18 month wait for MST in the Coast Guard.
Take the ASVAB first.

Then go around to each recruiter and see what they can offer you based on your ASVAB score.

Come back and tell us.

Quote:
... Secondly, I'm looking for a branch/position that let's me travel and gives me occasional free time to do my Bachelor's degree online.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Every branch may offer some travel, though toss the dice and you might get 'stuck somewhere with no travel. Ooops.

I did not have much difficulty completing college credit every quarter during my career. But that was long ago and things have changed. It was seen as a bare minimum effort to document college credits for your personal evaluations [in hopes of making advancement].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:53 PM

4,087 posts, read 6,226,234 times
There is no recruiter except maybe the Army that will be able to offer the OP anything in the Recruiting Office. To find out what is offered will require a trip to MEPS and at that point you're past the "shopping around" phase. Recruiters don't take people to MEPS to see what is offered, they take them to MEPS to join.

At one point the Army was the only service that could classify and offer specific jobs from a recruiting office. Don't know if that is still the case.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,069,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
If you do not want to be stuck behind a desk and want to travel.... my personal advice find a job as "air crew". The navy and air force both have jobs that would fit this category.

examples, "loadmaster" "boom operator" "aerial gunner" "aerial crew chief" "special operations aircrew" You will fly all around the world doing meaningful work that you can be proud of. You will see places (some awesome, some not so awesome) you don't even know exist. etc..

there are plenty of very cool and exciting career fields to get into. and many "boomers" take pictures while in the boom pod. There are some awesome pictures floating around the google.

either way, go for the branch you want, the culture you want and lifestyle that best fits you and go with the flow. enjoy the ride and do as much as you can. You may have an opportunity later in your career to change to another career field anyways who know what the future holds. Timing is everything. With Trump's proposed military increase that may open up more opportunities as they increase their ranks and have more openings after the drawdown from the previous few years.
I was a C-130 loadmaster and it's the best job of all. Unlike the bug suckers, we flew missions all over the world. AWACS and air refueling deploy to some base outside the combat zone and fly orbits all day or all night long. C-17s fly from big base to big base. A lot of their missions are out and backs. But the C-130 goes all over the world on all kinds of different missions. I've been to about 45 countries. I've seen and done things that the heavy metal will never be tasked to do. If you want routine and boring, stay away from the C-130. If you want the adventure of a lifetime, go C-130.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 PM

12,945 posts, read 6,196,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I was a C-130 loadmaster and it's the best job of all. Unlike the bug suckers, we flew missions all over the world. AWACS and air refueling deploy to some base outside the combat zone and fly orbits all day or all night long. C-17s fly from big base to big base. A lot of their missions are out and backs. But the C-130 goes all over the world on all kinds of different missions. I've been to about 45 countries. I've seen and done things that the heavy metal will never be tasked to do. If you want routine and boring, stay away from the C-130. If you want the adventure of a lifetime, go C-130.
I've never met a C-130 loadmaster who didn't adore the job--and I've been taking a poll for a couple of decades, and for the reasons you mentioned.

I understand that from the J-model, loadmasters also operate as the flight engineer.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 AM

7,019 posts, read 5,302,948 times
Navy ships, especially the larger ones, have or had a closed circuit TV crew and photo journalist. Like other jobs in the Navy, these guys had to learn a variety of jobs within similar fields. They also must learn ship board firefighting, painting, moping floors, clean bathrooms, and work on the mess decks. The best ships for your needs are dream ships so getting them are difficult to get. They are command ships with home ports overseas. I served on one in Gaeta Italy. Just in the two years I was in Italy I visited 18 countries, colonies, and principalities. At each port a diplomatic Party was held for local officials and the American Ambassador to that country.

Getting such a job would be easier if you have formal training in that field.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 AM

153 posts, read 35,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

I agree.... I was not aircrew but if I could do it all over again I would have gone that route. 95% of the aircrew I talked to LOVED their job. The other 5% were just tired and burned out but still enjoyed their career. If the OP is interested in travel this is a fantastic route to go.

My son has hinted that when he is older he might consider the military, and if so I am going to definitely expose him to this specific career field to investigate and learn about. even in c-130's you can get into AFSOC missions and units and so some pretty secret squirrel stuff you aren't allowed to talk about. There are so many options and routes you can take.

IMO it's just an awesome job to have and my regret is I didn't know about it when I was younger.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:40 PM

139 posts, read 46,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
There is no recruiter except maybe the Army that will be able to offer the OP anything in the Recruiting Office. To find out what is offered will require a trip to MEPS and at that point you're past the "shopping around" phase. Recruiters don't take people to MEPS to see what is offered, they take them to MEPS to join.
How recent is your info on that? When I was planning to join sixteen years ago, I went to the USAF recruiter's office, they took me to MEPS for the ASVAB, and then once my ASVAB scores were in we sat down at their office again and looked at the jobs that interested me. I was able to get my #1 pick out of three because I was willing to wait until the next September since I wanted a couple months after high school to enjoy being "free", and I signed with DEP in March of that year, a few months before graduating. I went into my planned career field and have been in it ever since.

I'm not all that familiar with today's recruiting processes, though. Maybe things have changed. I do know that most people believe that their recruiters lied to them in one way or another--and that's across ALL the services.

I do agree with some of the others who said that all three of those services have career fields that could get OP what they want, for the most part. I think that less travel is done with the USCG, but the USN and USAF for sure have opportunities for travel. How much is the question. Even if you're stationed at one base for an entire enlistment (four to six years), if you get good enough at your job you're likely to get chosen for a temporary duty somewhere else. And we get thirty free days of leave with pay. Anyone can use that to travel. USN does TEND to change primary duty station every two or three years, but I've also known some guys who have been at one base and just done a change of assignment without ever leaving the area. They're just in different units now. So I think that's still not a guarantee.

I know that USAF touts itself as being the most college-friendly service, followed closely by the USN. I've certainly found that it is. I have my CCAF degree (an associate's degree through the Community College of the Air Force that uses my technical training and some core college classes to award me credit) as well as a Bachelor's degree. In fact, our higher ranks now make having degrees a mandatory thing. If you don't have on, good luck getting promoted to SNCO. Once your initial training and on-the-job (OJT) training is done, your supervisor should sit down with you and help you figure out how much a course load you can handle with your work schedule and given your personal circumstances (have you passed your PT test, are you about to start the qualification process for another part of your job, etc).

ETA: OP, you might also be surprised how much desk time there is with photojournalism and all of the media-type jobs. The same people who take the pretty pictures have to do the editing. I was friends with a photojournalist at my last base, and he was in the office a good 60% of the day, if not all day.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:54 AM

4,087 posts, read 6,226,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
How recent is your info on that? When I was planning to join sixteen years ago, I went to the USAF recruiter's office, they took me to MEPS for the ASVAB, and then once my ASVAB scores were in we sat down at their office again and looked at the jobs that interested me. I was able to get my #1 pick out of three because I was willing to wait until the next September since I wanted a couple months after high school to enjoy being "free", and I signed with DEP in March of that year, a few months before graduating. I went into my planned career field and have been in it ever since.
I was in Navy Recruiting for 15 years and retired five years ago. Somethings may have changed.

It sounds like you're confirming exactly what I said...you decided to join the Air Force and then went to MEPS to take the asvab and medical portion. You did not walk into a recruiting office and say "show me what you can offer me and then I'll go talk to the other services and see what they can offer me". Recruiters do not waste time taking people to MEPS unless they have decided to join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues