U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 764 times

Advertisements

I know there are a ton of posts like this (I've gone through dozens of them) but I still could use some help deciding. I am considering the following positions: Photojournalism in the Air Force, Mass Communications in the Navy, or Marine Science Technician in the Coast Guard.

So far I am leaning towards the Navy because it's my understanding that you can't exactly pick your rate in the Air Force and there is an 18 month wait for MST in the Coast Guard.

Secondly, I'm looking for a branch/position that let's me travel and gives me occasional free time to do my Bachelor's degree online.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:48 PM

4,197 posts, read 6,527,923 times
The Air Force doesn't have "rates", the Navy has "ratings".

In today's environment it is very hard to get a job like Mass Communications, Photojournalism, etc. The services are a lot more "take what we have to offer or leave it" and what they have to offer are mostly the hard to fill jobs. Those you listed are not hard to fill and are very rarely available.

Decide which service you want to serve in and go take the best job they have to offer. Make the most of every opportunity you are given and you'll have a rewarding and enjoyable time in the military.

Don't get too hung up on the job because you're probably going to be disappointed when you go to MEPS.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The Air Force doesn't have "rates", the Navy has "ratings".

In today's environment it is very hard to get a job like Mass Communications, Photojournalism, etc. The services are a lot more "take what we have to offer or leave it" and what they have to offer are mostly the hard to fill jobs. Those you listed are not hard to fill and are very rarely available.

Decide which service you want to serve in and go take the best job they have to offer. Make the most of every opportunity you are given and you'll have a rewarding and enjoyable time in the military.

Don't get too hung up on the job because you're probably going to be disappointed when you go to MEPS.

Thank you for the response!

I just don't want to be at a desk for 4 years. I know I could test into some of the more prestigious technical jobs but I'd rather be outdoors.

Sounds like I'll pursue the Coast Guard and see where that takes me.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 PM

4,197 posts, read 6,527,923 times
The USCG is very small and has fewer opportunities than the USN or USAF. There are tons of "outdoor" jobs in each of those branches so don't worry about being stuck behind a desk. You can definitely find a job that won't have you behind a desk. Matter of fact, most military jobs are not behind a desk.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 AM

9,763 posts, read 9,563,497 times
Do not worry, you will be outside painting, chipping, and pulling guard duty plenty when in the Navy. That desk only stuff is only a few, very few for the first enlistment and in specific ratings, those things generally come when on shore duty.

Instead of seeing what you want, you need to go see what they offer.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 AM

317 posts, read 101,483 times
If you do not want to be stuck behind a desk and want to travel.... my personal advice find a job as "air crew". The navy and air force both have jobs that would fit this category.

examples, "loadmaster" "boom operator" "aerial gunner" "aerial crew chief" "special operations aircrew" You will fly all around the world doing meaningful work that you can be proud of. You will see places (some awesome, some not so awesome) you don't even know exist. etc..

there are plenty of very cool and exciting career fields to get into. and many "boomers" take pictures while in the boom pod. There are some awesome pictures floating around the google.

either way, go for the branch you want, the culture you want and lifestyle that best fits you and go with the flow. enjoy the ride and do as much as you can. You may have an opportunity later in your career to change to another career field anyways who know what the future holds. Timing is everything. With Trump's proposed military increase that may open up more opportunities as they increase their ranks and have more openings after the drawdown from the previous few years.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 AM

158 posts, read 66,230 times
In regards to choosing your MOS in the AF, my son had to make a list of 10 jobs. He did take the first available, which was #6 on his list. He was in DEP with people who dropped out after a year because they were holding out for a specific job that never came open.
Without knowing you personally, it is difficult to say which branch fits your personality and lifestyle. I have two boys, I steered one towards AF and the other to the Navy based on what/how I knew they would fit-in within the specific branch.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 AM

13,801 posts, read 6,733,583 times
I can tell you that the photojournalist specialty in the Air Force (and I suspect in the other services as well) is about the same as winning the Powerball lottery on one's first ticket. It's a tiny, tiny field and the people in it plan to retire in it.

Jobs with lots of travel and jobs that will give you time for school (even online) tend to be mutually exclusive. Additionally, the Air Force (and I suspect the other services) tend to keep first-termers pretty busy.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 AM

13,801 posts, read 6,733,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
With Trump's proposed military increase that may open up more opportunities as they increase their ranks and have more openings after the drawdown from the previous few years.
A bit off topic, but a big top-line number may or may not result in what everyone hopes. If the increase actually happens (it has to get through Congress) it's going to be split so many ways there may be little visible effect in anyone's office.

Or...the Air Force and Navy might take it all for just a few big-budget items.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:55 PM

331 posts, read 75,777 times
When my son was in the Air Force, his job was to work with many teams to maintain and repair the Awac plane. When budget cuts happened, they sacrificed one of their planes for parts.. . And these planes were built in the '70's. So I can see through his eyes that the military needs better equipment, better contracts, better planes and so much more.

These are the planes that are in the air whenever the president is. They monitor security. They're extremely important yet they're so outdated.

Whatever service you chose to go into, and I think that ought to be your last decision over whether you decide to do combat work or not, how long you serve, where your job will take you because my son never left one state and he bemoaned that fact. Don't just look at short term goals, look at the long ones and how your service will impact your life and career choices. For my son he served 4 years while they pushed him for 6. And once he was out only one college 'courted' him to join but they strongly had his back. That was A & M. He was also so busy and his work schedule so tricky that he never had time for college while serving. Something else to think about. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues