U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Bouncing twixt Texas Hill Country and Amarillo
267 posts, read 78,321 times
Reputation: 554

Advertisements

Well, now, that's interesting.

VA to start offering mental health care to 'bad paper' veterans
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2017, 01:43 PM
 
17,504 posts, read 16,878,014 times
Reputation: 21047
I haven't seen enough care for "good paper" veterans to like that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 08:00 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 1,146,951 times
Reputation: 1908
needs to be a "vetting" process............were they a mess before they joined the military..........or as a result of their service..............
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 11:07 PM
 
17,504 posts, read 16,878,014 times
Reputation: 21047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
needs to be a "vetting" process............were they a mess before they joined the military..........or as a result of their service..............
That's quite true. I watched Full Metal Jacket last week. No one wants to see that sort of thing happen, but I've seen too many Vietnam vets screwed out of benefits for any and every possible reason.

Stand at the end of the line.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 03:07 AM
 
Location: R.I.
578 posts, read 280,920 times
Reputation: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
I am a long term VA nurse and this news is very disheartening to learn that my new boss's priority is to roll out a mental health program to provide services to "bad paper" Vets when the VA has yet to address the lack of services available to the "good paper" Vets ??? What's next, a mental health program for released Gitmo detainees ???
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 12:01 PM
 
7,169 posts, read 7,191,589 times
Reputation: 10725
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
needs to be a "vetting" process............were they a mess before they joined the military..........or as a result of their service..............
Actually there already is one. veterans with bad paper have always been able to obtain benefits under the law so long as they are properly screened. Unfortunately, so may veterans go around talking about bad paper as if it's some mortal sin against god. Things Happen especially in war. This attitude even among veterans is why so many with less than honorable discharges never seek help from the VA. Look at the issue after the Vietnam Nam war with the AF where hundred of General Discharges were changed to Honorable when they discover they were improperly being used to reduce force levels. Many of those eligible still have not applied for their justly deserved upgrade.

Even as we speak, the DOD has commenced a major review of "bad paper" discharges fearing a repeat of what occurs whenever college grad behind-the-line offices and front-line battle enlisted tangle. War causes all sorts of issues and if brushed aside, down played, or even mocked can cause disciplinary problems resulting in these discharges.

If find it ironic and absolutely hypocritical that veterans will place their fellow veteran who was a stateside clerk in a document center on a high "Hero" pedestal while spitting on some veteran who due to circumstances may have had a serious disciplinary issue due to war.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 08:43 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 1,146,951 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Actually there already is one. veterans with bad paper have always been able to obtain benefits under the law so long as they are properly screened. Unfortunately, so may veterans go around talking about bad paper as if it's some mortal sin against god. Things Happen especially in war. This attitude even among veterans is why so many with less than honorable discharges never seek help from the VA. Look at the issue after the Vietnam Nam war with the AF where hundred of General Discharges were changed to Honorable when they discover they were improperly being used to reduce force levels. Many of those eligible still have not applied for their justly deserved upgrade.

Even as we speak, the DOD has commenced a major review of "bad paper" discharges fearing a repeat of what occurs whenever college grad behind-the-line offices and front-line battle enlisted tangle. War causes all sorts of issues and if brushed aside, down played, or even mocked can cause disciplinary problems resulting in these discharges.

If find it ironic and absolutely hypocritical that veterans will place their fellow veteran who was a stateside clerk in a document center on a high "Hero" pedestal while spitting on some veteran who due to circumstances may have had a serious disciplinary issue due to war.



Clarification; vetting,as in if the guy was given a dishonorable discharge because he was strung out on dope and got another soldier killed, or was found stealing, or assaulted another soldier or found guilty of rape...........then hell no those kind of guys don't deserve anything...........


different story if they were booted out because some REMF officer jacked em up for not being clean shaven and they went off on him.........who would blame them...........
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 11:04 AM
 
3,516 posts, read 1,103,108 times
Reputation: 6239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Actually there already is one. veterans with bad paper have always been able to obtain benefits under the law so long as they are properly screened. Unfortunately, so may veterans go around talking about bad paper as if it's some mortal sin against god. Things Happen especially in war. This attitude even among veterans is why so many with less than honorable discharges never seek help from the VA. Look at the issue after the Vietnam Nam war with the AF where hundred of General Discharges were changed to Honorable when they discover they were improperly being used to reduce force levels. Many of those eligible still have not applied for their justly deserved upgrade.

Even as we speak, the DOD has commenced a major review of "bad paper" discharges fearing a repeat of what occurs whenever college grad behind-the-line offices and front-line battle enlisted tangle. War causes all sorts of issues and if brushed aside, down played, or even mocked can cause disciplinary problems resulting in these discharges.

If find it ironic and absolutely hypocritical that veterans will place their fellow veteran who was a stateside clerk in a document center on a high "Hero" pedestal while spitting on some veteran who due to circumstances may have had a serious disciplinary issue due to war.


combat does not excuse those who got "bad paper" discharges.


I have many friends who had hellish experiences while serving in the infantry in Vietnam.
Many were mentally or physically scarred for life.


Every one of them got an honorable discharge.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 03:24 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 1,146,951 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
combat does not excuse those who got "bad paper" discharges.


I have many friends who had hellish experiences while serving in the infantry in Vietnam.
Many were mentally or physically scarred for life.


Every one of them got an honorable discharge.



Footnote: Good friend is a Marine grunt. Suffice to say, went to hell and back in Vietnam. Purple heart.
We had a discussion once about ptsd........{mental issues specifically} His take on it was almost all had issues before they entered the military.............
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,748 posts, read 1,288,148 times
Reputation: 4664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Footnote: Good friend is a Marine grunt. Suffice to say, went to hell and back in Vietnam. Purple heart.
We had a discussion once about ptsd........{mental issues specifically} His take on it was almost all had issues before they entered the military.............
My neighbor spent a year in Vietnam. Got a purple heart after being wounded in a mortar attack. He's very personable and well adjusted. We chat all the time. If he had issues, I would have noticed them by now.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top