Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 15,531 times

Advertisements

When I went to Meps, the doctors told me I had pectus excavatum. I told them I ran track for 4 years and have a history of playing sports but they still wouldn't pass me. Long story short, they said I wasn't disqualified but that I would need further consult. My recruiter called me saying they had trouble finding a doctor so I could go to a doctor and get an X-ray on my own but I would have to pay for it. I did just that and gave them my results that say "Pectus is noted, lungs are well expanded and heart is normal." I get a call from the recruiter a week later and he says they found a doctor and made me do it again. When I went to this doctor he thought he heard a heart murmur through the stethoscope though. The doctor said it could be harmless or serious but he couldn't recommend me without testing it and he wanted me to comeback. I didn't have the heart murmur when I went to Meps so I was hoping it just turned out to be nothing. I was denied to go back and I was permanently disqualified a week later. My official letter says it's for severe pectus excavatum and a heart murmur. My recruiter said he put in for a waiver and told me it was denied. The very next day I went to an army recruiter to see if I could get in with them. Based upon my story and my medical documents he believes that my recruiter didn't actually put me in for a waiver and something isnt adding up saying I should have gotten in. Either way he said he was going to transfer my medical documents from the airforce and we'll start from there even putting on my form that he wasn't sure if it was submitted for a waiver. That was February 20th so it's been about 20 days. I'm still yet to get my official letter for my waiver denial and my army recruiter still hasn't called me. I called last week and he said he hasn't gotten anything. My questions are basically if there's anyway to know for sure whether my old recruiter actually put in for a waiver and if there's anything I can do about it because the airforce is still my first choice. Also how long does it take for medical documents to transfer? Sorry for the long post and please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,157,369 times
The Army has no say in what the Air Force medical requirements are. You may meet the requirements for entry into the Army but don't meet the requirements for the USAF, USN, or USMC. They all have different requirements.

I had applicants get disqualified for the Navy all the time and I sent them to the Army and they were able to get in. Happens every day. The Army Recruiter would have no idea about a waiver being submitted or its status from the Air Force Office.

It normally only takes a couple days to transfer your MEPS file to another service. Sometimes the service that has the records drags their feet when the other service is stealing an applicant from them but that doesn't sound like what is happening here so it should go quickly.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Ah well. Well thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,273,889 times
There's no way for the Army recruiter to find out, as the Air Force waiver info is only available to AF recruiters. I've seen people denied for just one of the conditions you have (I'm an Air Force recruiting supervisor), so it's possible you were denied. I can't imagine your recruiter would like, because we're desperate for people right now. The Air Force is trying to grow and we're missing goal for the first time in almost 2 decades. Nearly half the recruiting units in the Air Force have failed to meet their mission. Recruiters are not blowing off applicants right now.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM

Yeah I was looking at the numbers and saw they were low on recruits and expanding waivers for people with asthma and what not. It gave me a little more hope that I would get a waiver. I didn't really believe my recruiter lied when the army told me, but I'm getting suspicious because my denial letter has still yet to come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues