U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM
 
201 posts, read 75,608 times
Reputation: 235

Advertisements

Hi Supergoober,
I think you got good advice- but the good thing about going in now is you're only finishing up the sophomore year. So you probably haven't taken a ton of accounting classes although you probably have all your general required classes done. If you're not in love with accounting it may be a good time for a break or change of major. I'm wondering if certain other in demand fields (medical etc) are willing to pay any kind of bonus going in? The recruiter could tell you that.

If you do go in now the only issue might be although the military has colleges that cater to it even overseas like UMUC you might miss in person classes due to the demands. Then again if and unless they pay retroactively for a degree you already have they will pay your tuition as you go.


I regret not going in the military because unlike college, you do get too old to go in. I would check with the student loan people check especially under public service student loan forgiveness for money already spent.


You sound like you really have your act together! Pretty awesome.
NG




Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoober View Post
I'm female and currently finishing up sophomore year of college. I enjoy accounting and I have a pretty decent gpa, but I've always had the strong desire to enlist ever since I graduated from h.s.

My mind is pretty set on joining the military soon-probably this summer (have to lose 9 pounds first!) but I was just wondering what the consequences of joining halfway through college are.

I'm still deciding between the Air force or the Navy.

Which path would you guys recommend me to take?

Does the military allow you to defer student loans, including Parent PLUS loans that my dad took out, after enlisting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2017, 04:48 PM
 
4,575 posts, read 5,067,715 times
Reputation: 8053
A bit of a misconception OP

If you go into the military as an officer; you might get selected as a Finance Officer as a 2 LT or not. the other specialties you mention might be available to you later in your career as a secondary once you have proven yourself.

But odds are greater that you would be assigned another specialty having nothing to do with accounting specifically. But your trained and logical mind would be important to any possible specialty. Accounting is just not the end state to an officer. Nor is any undergraduate degree (except maybe medical)

As enlisted you may get to be a budget clerk but most Army accounting use automation systems so I don't know that an Accounting degree is essential. Would think other servic s would be the same


I just think you are putting the cart before the horse. You may be asking the ROTC detachment the wrong questions or there is another reason they don't see you in their program. My guess is needs of the service or stated drawdowns. In which case your accounting degree isn't the problem, numbers and types needed are.

What is your goal? Then do what it takes to achieve that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Middle America
32,569 posts, read 33,695,081 times
Reputation: 41430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Within the sub community, pushing everyone to be continuously taking classes meant that the goat locker commonly had a bunch of Psych and Management B.A.s

I don't know what his current mess's educational backgrounds trend toward, but a lot of them are corpsmen and yeomen, some MAs. Most of the ones I know who are currently in school are doing management and law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2017, 08:58 AM
 
1,683 posts, read 518,788 times
Reputation: 1058
Enlisted is not a bad career path. It's actually a great one, so don't always dismiss it for Officer. Being and Officer is going likely going to be more competitive because there are fewer positions and more politics.

Last edited by Jobster; 03-18-2017 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2017, 04:18 PM
 
Location: The end of the world
109 posts, read 32,205 times
Reputation: 79
Just to answer the OP question. The ROTC officer is the way to go. Politics.....that is why you went to college to have a better understanding of the world. Now you can utilize that information and pair it off with the rest of the evil.

Otherwise you are not considered a true officer. I want to do something as well. Might be too late for me. Otherwise I have my freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2017, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
27,601 posts, read 43,283,419 times
Reputation: 14396
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Just to answer the OP question. The ROTC officer is the way to go. Politics.....that is why you went to college to have a better understanding of the world. Now you can utilize that information and pair it off with the rest of the evil.

Otherwise you are not considered a true officer. I want to do something as well. Might be too late for me. Otherwise I have my freedoms.
From my observation, the 'true officer' concept is one held by academy officers.

A number of times I have been lectured to, by academy officers, when they realized that I have my degree yet enlisted.

Yes, they are the aristocrats and the enlisted are peasants. ROTC officers are just fakes trying to pass themselves as real officers.

The first time I sat through one of those lectures. The officer had the collateral duty of Wardroom mess treasurer, and he had delegated the work to me. So I tallied up how much each officer owed every month.

One time I was in formation when our Department Head lectured the entire Department on how he was a true noble because he graduated the academy and we were all his peasants.

The last time I sat through the lecture [on my last hull] I was doing that officer's taxes for him.
He assumed that because his base-pay was greater than mine, that his gross-pay was also [he was in error]. But by that time, I had sat through the lecture so many times, I had the wisdom of keeping my mouth shut.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
11,466 posts, read 5,173,424 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
From my observation, the 'true officer' concept is one held by academy officers.

A number of times I have been lectured to, by academy officers, when they realized that I have my degree yet enlisted.

Yes, they are the aristocrats and the enlisted are peasants. ROTC officers are just fakes trying to pass themselves as real officers.

The first time I sat through one of those lectures. The officer had the collateral duty of Wardroom mess treasurer, and he had delegated the work to me. So I tallied up how much each officer owed every month.

One time I was in formation when our Department Head lectured the entire Department on how he was a true noble because he graduated the academy and we were all his peasants.

The last time I sat through the lecture [on my last hull] I was doing that officer's taxes for him.
He assumed that because his base-pay was greater than mine, that his gross-pay was also [he was in error]. But by that time, I had sat through the lecture so many times, I had the wisdom of keeping my mouth shut.

Be careful about BS generalizations such as that (bolded). They are very rarely true. (I am one of those ROTC grads, and have known many who served with class and character.) There have been a few Chiefs of Staff who were ROTC grads, and a lot of ROTC grads have prior service as enlisted.

The ring-knocker syndrome may be true for many Academy grads, but examples like General Ron Fogelman certainly buck that trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
27,601 posts, read 43,283,419 times
Reputation: 14396
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Be careful about BS generalizations such as that (bolded). They are very rarely true. (I am one of those ROTC grads, and have known many who served with class and character.) There have been a few Chiefs of Staff who were ROTC grads, and a lot of ROTC grads have prior service as enlisted.

The ring-knocker syndrome may be true for many Academy grads, but examples like General Ron Fogelman certainly buck that trend.
Allow me to clarify.

I do not think that any officer is any more nor any less an officer than any other officer.

One thing I observed on my first boat, that rang true on all boats I served on, was that ring-knocking did exist.

I pitied the officers who had to function within wardrooms that were like that.

And it is not just the bolded part. Set in within the context that your bolding tries to ignore.

The mindset of ring-knockers about aristocrats and peasants. How some officers are true aristocrats, etc. I am sure you have seen it. I have had to sit through lectures about it many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 06:10 PM
PFM
 
Location: Endicott, NY
76 posts, read 75,575 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoober View Post
Welp, I tried talking to the ROTC guys at my university today and they said that they are mainly looking for Technical/engineering/medical types of majors. Apparently they give super preference to tier 1 majors compared to tier 3 majors (Accounting) which make sense but kinda sucks for me... They're also pretty hesitant to accept me since I'm already finishing up my second year.

Based from what I've read so far, the Officer Candidate School selection process is super competitive. My non-technical major will probably decrease my chances of getting in compared to the IT dude with similar stats.

I'll try anyways. I'll graduate first then apply. Hopefully, they seriously consider me then.

Thank you guys for the advice! I don't exactly have anyone to talk to about military stuff like these, so this was a big help!


Think of it this way - if you don't get a commission then you can enlist - and be set for later when you start hitting the senior NCO ranks. They are pushing degrees for SNCOs nowadays - you'll have a leg up. With that degree you may also be able to pick up your E-3 or 4 early, instead of waiting the year or two it normally takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Middle America
32,569 posts, read 33,695,081 times
Reputation: 41430
My husband started out an E-4, due to enlisting with a degree; he's now an NCO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top