Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,799,971 times

Advertisements

Get your degree--no one can ever take that away from you. Do ROTC if you can. Way better to come out as 2LT for many reasons. Pension and pay are two of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,994,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoober View Post
Another worry of mine is the lack of leadership skills I might have if I go straight to the officer training school out of college. I'm a pretty competent person overall, but I tend to be outspoken at times. So, I thought that I should start from the bottom-ish and develop my way up to get there (naive thinking haha)

Don't worry about any of this. The military has programs to take care of all of this. They don't call it "training" for nothing.

Military wants you...your body, your brain, and maybe your skill. They strip everything else out and reformat you the way they wish. Think of it as being a brand new hard drive. They take care of loading what they want after they strip out what they don't want.

Finish your degree. Go in as an officer. WAY better lifestyle, pay, bennies, etc. Trust me, a 2nd Lt has no more "skills" than a basic trainee, but they get a LOT more respect.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:00 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,512,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Trust me, a 2nd Lt has no more "skills" than a basic trainee, but they get a LOT more respect.
Really?! From who?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 PM

24,178 posts, read 13,033,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Really?! From who?
Well, they're SUPPOSED to garner more respect, but the prudent 2nd Lt understands his or her place in the chain of command, and that's way down there.

Unrelated, but worthwhile part of a speech I heard from a soon-to-be retired BGen.

A general was receiving a briefing from various officers and senior enlisted on his base. After a couple of colonels and a major had presented their portion, the general asked, "Well, does anyone have any questions or comments?" A second lieutenant raised his hand, and said, "General, I do have a couple." The general answered, "Go ahead, lieutenant". The lieutenant then proceeded to explain his background at college, and what he thought should be done, for at least ten minutes. When finished, the general said "Wow, lieutenant, that's a lot of information. You seem to think you are quite the expert." The lieutenant said in reply, "Well, general, sir, I'm certain you didn't get to be a general by not speaking up." The general said, "You're right, but it IS how I got to be a first lieutenant."

Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 5,173 times
Welp, I tried talking to the ROTC guys at my university today and they said that they are mainly looking for Technical/engineering/medical types of majors. Apparently they give super preference to tier 1 majors compared to tier 3 majors (Accounting) which make sense but kinda sucks for me... They're also pretty hesitant to accept me since I'm already finishing up my second year.

Based from what I've read so far, the Officer Candidate School selection process is super competitive. My non-technical major will probably decrease my chances of getting in compared to the IT dude with similar stats.

I'll try anyways. I'll graduate first then apply. Hopefully, they seriously consider me then.

Thank you guys for the advice! I don't exactly have anyone to talk to about military stuff like these, so this was a big help!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM

24,178 posts, read 13,033,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoober View Post
Welp, I tried talking to the ROTC guys at my university today and they said that they are mainly looking for Technical/engineering/medical types of majors. Apparently they give super preference to tier 1 majors compared to tier 3 majors (Accounting) which make sense but kinda sucks for me... They're also pretty hesitant to accept me since I'm already finishing up my second year.

Based from what I've read so far, the Officer Candidate School selection process is super competitive. My non-technical major will probably decrease my chances of getting in compared to the IT dude with similar stats.

I'll try anyways. I'll graduate first then apply. Hopefully, they seriously consider me then.

Thank you guys for the advice! I don't exactly have anyone to talk to about military stuff like these, so this was a big help!
That's a great attitude to have, and who knows, things might change in two years. I'm surprised that accounting wouldn't lead to a contracting or comptroller career, there seems to be a shortage of those AFSCs where I have been recently.

As I understand there's a pilot shortage and they'll take anyone. I'm proof.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,041,243 times
There's nothing wrong with enlisting. This could be another COA for you:

-finish college
-enlist for a few years with student loan repayment option

This way your college loans will still be paid for and you'll still get Veterans points for government jobs. You'll have college paid for and be a huge network of fellow Veterans.

You'll still be young enough to start many careers including something like the FBI who really like accounting majors. Combine that with Veterans preference and you'd look like a great candidate if you keep your nose clean.

Earning a commission will lead to more money and a physically easier lifestyle but sometimes that's not what everyone wants. Officer duties are very different from Enlisted duties. There are some who say, "your men will respect you more as an Officer if you were Enlisted first." Not true. Your men will respect you based on your professional competence and the way you treat them.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 PM

586 posts, read 827,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
There are some who say, "your men will respect you more as an Officer if you were Enlisted first." Not true. Your men will respect you based on your professional competence and the way you treat them.
If your good they'll respect you.
If your average but try they'll respect you.
If your poor but try they'll tolerate you.
If you don't care what they think they'll despise you.

Do the best you can for your men and in your job and they'll put up with a hell of a lot.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:10 PM

37,241 posts, read 60,963,154 times
If your heart is set on enlisting, then enlist.

Within my community all line officers hold STEM degrees. However there are Supply officers who hold accounting degrees.

There is a possibility that you may be able to continue taking courses through your university even while you are serving on Active Duty. I did that. During my Active Duty career, it was seen as a near requirement to complete at least one course every quarter to make yourself competitive for advancement.

When I finished by first enlistment I had 30 credits on my transcript. That was before I entered college fulltime.

The Navy needs accountants. Though your ROTC may not be in tune with that. There are separate 'officer recruiters' that you may wish to contact [there are NOT your local recruiters]. These 'officer recruiters' should be able to inform you of any programs that you may qualify for.

There are enlisted who hold B.S. and even M.S. degrees. Some people are better suited as officers, some are not. It is a completely different career path.

I wish you luck either way.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If your heart is set on enlisting, then enlist.

Within my community all line officers hold STEM degrees. However there are Supply officers who hold accounting degrees.
Maybe back in the day, but now days a sub officer will hold who knows what degrees. I encountered a range of them ranging from history to engineering. I am sure the STEM has some preferences, especially now days where it seems there is an abundance of college grads trying to find an actual career.

Quote:
There is a possibility that you may be able to continue taking courses through your university even while you are serving on Active Duty. I did that. During my Active Duty career, it was seen as a near requirement to complete at least one course every quarter to make yourself competitive for advancement.
Again, maybe back in the day, because there was no push while I was in, and they only started pushing for those advancing to E7 to have an associates (which even that got suspended because of the wars). I do not even know anyone who had college credits that the Navy knew of and got advanced, I got out as an E7 after 12 years, though I took some college course, they were not on my record for advancement purposes or anything.

This of course could have changed since the wars have been winding down, and it has become easier to get college. But from the people I know that are still active duty, college has not been a requirement for advancing.

Quote:
The Navy needs accountants. Though your ROTC may not be in tune with that. There are separate 'officer recruiters' that you may wish to contact [there are NOT your local recruiters]. These 'officer recruiters' should be able to inform you of any programs that you may qualify for.
Many accounting functions are now contractors or civil service.

Quote:
There are enlisted who hold B.S. and even M.S. degrees. Some people are better suited as officers, some are not. It is a completely different career path.

I wish you luck either way.

A lot of people enlist with degrees because they could not pass that officer test or whatever it is, the math part gets them. Rarely did I come across a degree holder who did not attempt to be an officer before enlisting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues