Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Maybe back in the day, but now days a sub officer will hold who knows what degrees. I encountered a range of them ranging from history to engineering. I am sure the STEM has some preferences, especially now days where it seems there is an abundance of college grads trying to find an actual career.

Again, maybe back in the day, because there was no push while I was in, and they only started pushing for those advancing to E7 to have an associates (which even that got suspended because of the wars). I do not even know anyone who had college credits that the Navy knew of and got advanced, I got out as an E7 after 12 years, though I took some college course, they were not on my record for advancement purposes or anything.

This of course could have changed since the wars have been winding down, and it has become easier to get college. But from the people I know that are still active duty, college has not been a requirement for advancing.

Many accounting functions are now contractors or civil service.

A lot of people enlist with degrees because they could not pass that officer test or whatever it is, the math part gets them. Rarely did I come across a degree holder who did not attempt to be an officer before enlisting.
Supply officers [chops] are no longer accountants?

Civil service at sea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 AM

1,991 posts, read 900,039 times
In the Army there is a branch called the Finance Corp. This should be right up your alley. Why don't you look into that and see if you can earn your degree now then enlist for OCS and get your commission as a Finance Officer. Just a thought.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Supply officers [chops] are no longer accountants?

Civil service at sea?
I did not run into a single chop that had an accounting background other than what the Navy taught them.

The accounting and acquisition system is shore based. My last command had a gs14 as the comptroller, and a series of contractors for everything else. The sea based and in general active duty base is the end user, which has minimal accounting functions.

Even at my squadron (squadron 14) the people running the money were civilians. Us Navy people were the end users. Sure, we keep track of the ship budget and supplies, but that is more simple bookkeeping than anything close to accounting. Ships do not generally make acquisitions, it is not like the USS Whatever is going to go to Lockheed to sign some contracts for F-18s, and it is not like it is going to the DOD to get some more money for its budget.

Active duty does not do a lot of things, that is why we have that large civilian DOD workforce.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM

483 posts, read 630,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Because you can graduate in 2 years as a 2LT, that's why you shouldn't do it.
This comment makes absolutely no sense to me.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:26 PM

588 posts, read 562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
This comment makes absolutely no sense to me.
He's saying...after graduating with a bachelors degree, she can get in as a second lieutenant (which is an officer), that's why she shouldn't quit college now to enlist (she would only get an enlisted rate)

Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 PM

483 posts, read 630,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
He's saying...after graduating with a bachelors degree, she can get in as a second lieutenant (which is an officer), that's why she shouldn't quit college now to enlist (she would only get an enlisted rate)
Ah! Of course, thank you!

Old 03-15-2017, 07:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoober View Post
Welp, I tried talking to the ROTC guys at my university today and they said that they are mainly looking for Technical/engineering/medical types of majors. Apparently they give super preference to tier 1 majors compared to tier 3 majors (Accounting) which make sense but kinda sucks for me... They're also pretty hesitant to accept me since I'm already finishing up my second year.

Based from what I've read so far, the Officer Candidate School selection process is super competitive. My non-technical major will probably decrease my chances of getting in compared to the IT dude with similar stats.

I'll try anyways. I'll graduate first then apply. Hopefully, they seriously consider me then.

Thank you guys for the advice! I don't exactly have anyone to talk to about military stuff like these, so this was a big help!
This is one reason my husband (Navy) enlisted with a bachelor's degree already in hand, vs. commissioning...technical degrees were what was being sought; his was not a technical degree (funnily enough, his rating in the Navy? IT. ) In his case, he's currently a Senior Chief (E-8), and couldn't be happier. He may or may not pursue Warrant Officer at some point.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 5,213 times
Well, I suppose the worst case scenario for me would be to enlist after college if I don't get in as an officer. I definitely feel more secure to have at least a bachelors degree just in case things don't work out!

I read about some of the linguist positions they desperately need in the military, so I'll probably try to get those if accounting-related jobs are not available at the time. I'm already fluent in 3 languages so why not learn another one :P

In the meantime, I'll keep working out and reviewing the ASVAB to make sure that I freaking ace it when the time comes.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I did not run into a single chop that had an accounting background other than what the Navy taught them.

The accounting and acquisition system is shore based. My last command had a gs14 as the comptroller, and a series of contractors for everything else. The sea based and in general active duty base is the end user, which has minimal accounting functions.

Even at my squadron (squadron 14) the people running the money were civilians. Us Navy people were the end users. Sure, we keep track of the ship budget and supplies, but that is more simple bookkeeping than anything close to accounting. Ships do not generally make acquisitions, it is not like the USS Whatever is going to go to Lockheed to sign some contracts for F-18s, and it is not like it is going to the DOD to get some more money for its budget.

Active duty does not do a lot of things, that is why we have that large civilian DOD workforce.
I have very little experience with how the surface does things.

It seems that most things I did in my career are far different from other communities of the DOD. The interactions with the wardroom, how different gross pay is from base-pay, how common degrees are among enlisted, etc. When I finished my EE I was not impressed with the wardroom, so I never attempted to get a commission.

It certainly shows how different each community is from the other communities.

When I started, Navs were largely math or physics majors. By the 90s it seemed that Navs had mostly all became nucs. Engs as they came forward jockeying for the XO slot had to fill in as either Weps or Nav. So we no longer had career Navs.

Everything changes.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is one reason my husband (Navy) enlisted with a bachelor's degree already in hand, vs. commissioning...technical degrees were what was being sought; his was not a technical degree (funnily enough, his rating in the Navy? IT. ) In his case, he's currently a Senior Chief (E-8), and couldn't be happier. He may or may not pursue Warrant Officer at some point.
Within the sub community, pushing everyone to be continuously taking classes meant that the goat locker commonly had a bunch of Psych and Management B.A.s

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues