U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 2,180 times

Advertisements

I'm female and currently finishing up sophomore year of college. I enjoy accounting and I have a pretty decent gpa, but I've always had the strong desire to enlist ever since I graduated from h.s.

My mind is pretty set on joining the military soon-probably this summer (have to lose 9 pounds first!) but I was just wondering what the consequences of joining halfway through college are.

I'm still deciding between the Air force or the Navy.

Which path would you guys recommend me to take?

Does the military allow you to defer student loans, including Parent PLUS loans that my dad took out, after enlisting?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 12:48 PM

8,818 posts, read 13,908,128 times
Do you mean you want to drop out of college and enlist? Why don't you join ROTC and get a commission when you graduate?

Old 03-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you mean you want to drop out of college and enlist? Why don't you join ROTC and get a commission when you graduate?
My university allows enlisted college students to withdraw for up to 5 years without having to reapply back to the program they were in. So I thought why not join now as an E-3 with 58 credit hours done?

Old 03-12-2017, 03:54 PM

4,669 posts, read 5,263,047 times
Graduate first. Take ROTC if you want to go into service directly. Or graduate and go into the reserves

Stay in college and get your accounting degree

Do not sell yourself short by dropping out until you are done. It is a bad precedent to set in life.

If you don't like college or accounting different story

Old 03-12-2017, 04:16 PM

3,378 posts, read 2,661,662 times
Sometimes life intervenes. It can be difficult to return to college at a later date. Go into the service with your degree in hand. Either branch can always use an accountant.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:08 PM

10,444 posts, read 10,314,859 times
Goodness, I would not drop college just to enlist. I would make my path towards officer. If you really want to enlist, then complete college first.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 PM

8,818 posts, read 13,908,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoober View Post
My university allows enlisted college students to withdraw for up to 5 years without having to reapply back to the program they were in. So I thought why not join now as an E-3 with 58 credit hours done?
Because you can graduate in 2 years as a 2LT, that's why you shouldn't do it.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:32 PM

3,912 posts, read 5,128,315 times
Graduate and then be sure you actually still want to enlist - then join as a lieutenant. A LOT can happen in 4-5 years. I know several people who have lived to regret not finishing college in their early 20s. I know not one person who regrets not joining the military.

Youthful altruism usually gives way to life's realities by the time you hit 22-23. That's why the recruiters stop calling when you hit 21 and also why they're rarely seen on university campuses.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the advice guys!

I guess I'm just really eager/excited to join. Another worry of mine is the lack of leadership skills I might have if I go straight to the officer training school out of college. I'm a pretty competent person overall, but I tend to be outspoken at times. So, I thought that I should start from the bottom-ish and develop my way up to get there (naive thinking haha)

...but I do see your point that it's better to finish what I started first before moving to something else :/
better pay and rank along with the fact that I have a BS in Accounting!

Last question please: Do they allow you to defer the start of student and my dad's parent plus loan repayments if I enlist as officer after graduation?

Old 03-13-2017, 12:20 AM

23,004 posts, read 35,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoober View Post
I guess I'm just really eager/excited to join. Another worry of mine is the lack of leadership skills I might have if I go straight to the officer training school out of college.
That is why it is normally called "Officer Training School (OTS)". If you meet the requirements, then you will be allowed to enter so that you may be trained...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues