Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,037 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I qualify ASVAB-wise for any job in the Navy, but recently my credit card debt has been sent to a debt collection agency and I have not contacted them yet.

What do I need to do in order to get the Intelligence job that I want which requires security clearance?

Or should I apply for jobs which don't require security clearance.

My guess is that the best thing for me to do is contact the collection agency and make any payments I can while retaining the receipts.

Guys, I'm worried and I'd love any help from someone who can.

Thanks,

Tyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,343,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedAnimal View Post
Hello!

I qualify ASVAB-wise for any job in the Navy, but recently my credit card debt has been sent to a debt collection agency and I have not contacted them yet.

What do I need to do in order to get the Intelligence job that I want which requires security clearance?

Or should I apply for jobs which don't require security clearance.

My guess is that the best thing for me to do is contact the collection agency and make any payments I can while retaining the receipts.

Guys, I'm worried and I'd love any help from someone who can.

Thanks,

Tyler
Security clearance is based on the whole person concept. They will interview you extensively and contact a number of your references, then 'develop' more people to talk to.

They are looking for two fundamental concepts: can you be trusted to tell the truth-even when it's not in your interest, and do you have anything in your background that can be used as leverage to blackmail you?

For everything that disqualifies you, there are also things (usually actions you take) that 'mitigate' those disqualifiers. After the clearance interviews are over, they are packaged up and sent to an 'adjudicator' who then determines whether, based on all the evidence, you should be granted or denied the clearance.

Almost anything can be mitigated-with sincere remorse, acceptance of your responsibility, real actions taken to clean up the damage, and time.

You have an uphill battle if the debt just went to collections. Your best bet is absolutely to contact the collection agency and try to work something out. Document every contact with them, and if and when the clearance interview happens-you volunteer everything about the debt and your actions to satisfy it. Don't hold back hoping they won't find out-they will pull the credit report and see easily something is going on, and if they have to, start digging. If they find out you were trying to hold something back, that is far worse than the debt issues themselves.

The factors that disqualify you, and what mitigate those disqualifiers, can be easily googled and is completely public. It absolutely mystifies me why people act like it's some huge secret or mystery.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
It's not as bad as you think. First, go to credit counseling. You may be able to find something through your recruiter. The credit counselor may be able to go to bat for you and call your creditors and set up arrangements. Once you attend counseling that can be documented in your credit report showing you're doing something about it. Set a plan and do it. Show good faith effort. You won't be the first nor the last but it might blow your chances of starting out right where you want to be. That's called consequences.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Don't try to brush it under the rug. Be upfront and have some evidence that you're addressing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues