U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM

2,850 posts, read 8,187,157 times

Advertisements

USUALLY you must list EIGHT jobs at MEPS. You go on a waiting list for those 8 jobs. First one open = yours.

Some MEPS may make you list 5, or 12, or some other number, but it's usually around 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM

15 posts, read 4,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
USUALLY you must list EIGHT jobs at MEPS. You go on a waiting list for those 8 jobs. First one open = yours.

Some MEPS may make you list 5, or 12, or some other number, but it's usually around 8.
It's taking forever to authorize me to go lol, and super important question, i have this mole on my ass, will they ask about it? ive already gotten it checked should i bring med records?

Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Haha. They won't make an big deal about it unless it looks like cancer. You'd actually have MORE issues if you would have had it removed. It generally takes FOREVER to get authorized to go to MEPS. Usually a week is like a miracle. Much longer if you have a complex medical past.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Haha. They won't make an big deal about it unless it looks like cancer. You'd actually have MORE issues if you would have had it removed. It generally takes FOREVER to get authorized to go to MEPS. Usually a week is like a miracle. Much longer if you have a complex medical past.
OK so im going to list open mech even though everyone is saying not to, i feel like if i dont like it i wont re enlist and i will go to school for something else, or try to apply to cross train. Do you guys think this is a good idea? i mean the only jobs that are bad are utilities and construction, i'll take hvac over those all day.
What do you think? im open to ANY other jobs on the list besides the two.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 PM

300 posts, read 124,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1026 View Post
OK so im going to list open mech even though everyone is saying not to, i feel like if i dont like it i wont re enlist and i will go to school for something else, or try to apply to cross train. Do you guys think this is a good idea? i mean the only jobs that are bad are utilities and construction, i'll take hvac over those all day.
What do you think? im open to ANY other jobs on the list besides the two.
My son didn't get his top choices and settled with the first job opening available to him...hvac. He will not be re-enlisting for that job. His plan is to go to college to study what he wants then maybe return. He also knows that with his hvac certification and CDL license, he could get easily get a job instead of going to college. He has options, which is great.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
My son didn't get his top choices and settled with the first job opening available to him...hvac. He will not be re-enlisting for that job. His plan is to go to college to study what he wants then maybe return. He also knows that with his hvac certification and CDL license, he could get easily get a job instead of going to college. He has options, which is great.
Yeah that's awesome and i'm really hoping they dont tell me that construction or utilities is the only thing open.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM

300 posts, read 124,981 times
Quote:
Yeah that's awesome and i'm really hoping they dont tell me that construction or utilities is the only thing open.
Have you been to MEPS? Did you make your list?

Hvac was #7 on my sons list. He got the call for availability 3 months post MEPS. He decided to take it and not wait for his first choices as he was told those jobs have few openings. In fact, he knew a couple of DEPpers who were dropped after a year cause they were holding out for specific jobs that did not open.

Good Luck to you, keep us posted.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 AM

He can always apply to retrain!

Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM

still waiting to go to MEPS ugh.. Im so excited i can wait much longer!! haha.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:35 PM

2,418 posts, read 3,873,622 times
Quote:
still waiting to go to MEPS ugh.. Im so excited i can wait much longer!! haha.
Did you get the whole SSBI thing finished yet? (telling your recruiter?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues