U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 03:54 PM

13 posts, read 2,475 times

Advertisements

They job I want (going to Meps next week) requires a ssbi and I'm pretty sure it asks if I have ever smoke weed, witch I have unfortunately. So I want to know if I'm screwed basically. Will I fail the rest and be thrown out of the Air Force ? Is that possible??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 05:23 AM

2,302 posts, read 3,615,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1026 View Post
They job I want (going to Meps next week) requires a ssbi and I'm pretty sure it asks if I have ever smoke weed, witch I have unfortunately. So I want to know if I'm screwed basically. Will I fail the rest and be thrown out of the Air Force ? Is that possible??
It depends on how often and what was the last time. If you tried it a few times years ago, you're probably fine. If you lit up 'an unknown number of experimental times' and last did it last week, you have problems.

If you lie or withhold, it is worse than minor marijuana use in the first place.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:36 AM

2,777 posts, read 7,735,864 times
Smoking weed will NOT keep you from joining the AF or getting an SSBI clearance. LYING about it will. Tell your recruiter you smoked, tell MEPS, and tell the clearance investigator. You'll be good to go as long as you haven't smoked in the last 6 months.

If you say you haven't smoked, and they question your friends and family (they will for an SSBI) and the investigator finds out you lied, that could be anything from the denial of a clearance, to a fraudulent enlistment.

Be honest and you have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 AM

Also keep in mind that you might not get the job you want, so be prepared for that.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Also keep in mind that you might not get the job you want, so be prepared for that.
Thanks and whats your opinion on open mech aptitude ? and ive already said i have never, i thought it was an automatic disqualification if i said yes.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 PM

6,841 posts, read 6,871,272 times
Quote:
and ive already said i have never, i thought it was an automatic disqualification if i said yes.
That will be a problem!

Truth is, I think most investigators today are more suspicious of a person who said they never versus they did. All you can do is come clean when asked and hope for the best. Under so circumstances do you continue the lie.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:25 PM

722 posts, read 320,408 times
Quote:
How long has it been? Pot is not anything close to an automatic DQ any more.

Tell the truth. Always. Even if you smoked it "too recently" and aren't adjudicated favorably, you can come back later and be OK.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 PM

Go back to your recruiter and tell him the truth now, before you go to MEPS. Explain why you lied. The recruiter won't even be mad. It happens ALLLLLL the time. Just tell the recruiter. Don't go and tell MEPS without telling your recruiter FIRST, or you'll get the recruiter in trouble.

No biggie at THIS POINT. The recruiter can redo the forms and you'll be fine. It won't be held against you. If you lie at MEPS or to the investigator it will be a big deal.

For the Air Force, you have have smoked weed 999,999 times, and we don't care. It's not a DQ. It used to be a DQ, but it is not any longer. It doesn't even need a waiver.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 PM

Open Mech- about 50% of our contracts are open mech, so there's a real probability that you'll get that. They do have a bonus if you sign for 6 years. It's in high demand.

Pros and Cons:
You can still get your top job choice. The recruiter might be able to guarantee you a job that you don't want, or you can take the open and have a SHOT at getting your top job choice.
It's in your contract that you can retrain, so a job isn't a life sentence.
Remember the main reasons you want to join
About 2.5% of our contracts are for intel jobs, so you're unlikely to get one of those as entry level, but you can try. You can always list them.
Take the DLAB and apply for 1N331 or 1A831 (Linguist jobs). They're intel, have the clearance you want, and if you pass, your recruiter can all but certainly get you one of the jobs. We're in DIRE need for them. I have more linguist jobs than I can give away. It's the only intel job I can seem to get for applicants lately.
Every job is a risk. You don't actually know if you'll like it.

If I were joining, would I accept open mech? Yes. Absolutely.

If the Air Force told me I could only re-enlist if I agreed to be retrained into the mech job of their choice, would I re-enlist. Yep. Where do I sign?

To each his own, but it's the main way of getting into the Air Force right now.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Open Mech- about 50% of our contracts are open mech, so there's a real probability that you'll get that. They do have a bonus if you sign for 6 years. It's in high demand.

Pros and Cons:
You can still get your top job choice. The recruiter might be able to guarantee you a job that you don't want, or you can take the open and have a SHOT at getting your top job choice.
It's in your contract that you can retrain, so a job isn't a life sentence.
Remember the main reasons you want to join
About 2.5% of our contracts are for intel jobs, so you're unlikely to get one of those as entry level, but you can try. You can always list them.
Take the DLAB and apply for 1N331 or 1A831 (Linguist jobs). They're intel, have the clearance you want, and if you pass, your recruiter can all but certainly get you one of the jobs. We're in DIRE need for them. I have more linguist jobs than I can give away. It's the only intel job I can seem to get for applicants lately.
Every job is a risk. You don't actually know if you'll like it.

If I were joining, would I accept open mech? Yes. Absolutely.

If the Air Force told me I could only re-enlist if I agreed to be retrained into the mech job of their choice, would I re-enlist. Yep. Where do I sign?

To each his own, but it's the main way of getting into the Air Force right now.

THANK YOU! and i will tell my recruiter, i had no idea it didnt need a waiver or anything. Also, i was looking for geospatial intelligence, cyber security operations and the linguists jobs, but i was a point off or something for linguist. I will probably do opne mech, just becuase i guess the jobs i want wich are cyber security and geospatial are hard to get? but anyways i was also looking at aviation structural mech/maintenance. thanks so much
EDITTT: Can i enlist as openmech, then reenlist for an intel job? is that how it works i dont even know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues