U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 PM

1,011 posts, read 552,807 times

Advertisements

I read the article below. The Air Force fired over 150 officers right before they would qualify for a pension and retirement healthcare. That's a lot of money those officers will lose. It must hurt like hell. Does that kind of thing happen a lot in the service?

Separation of Air Force officers just before retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 10:18 PM

22,098 posts, read 32,689,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I read the article below. The Air Force fired over 150 officers right before they would qualify for a pension and retirement healthcare. That's a lot of money those officers will lose. It must hurt like hell. Does that kind of thing happen a lot in the service?

The article is about 6 years old...

There are some issues I do not believe.

You are getting the info from John T. Reed, which he posted on his web page: John T. Reed Publishing Home Page

Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 AM

2,302 posts, read 3,615,015 times
Quote:

1) Officers (and enlisted) may be separated using force-shaping tools. Sometimes it's just timing. There's never a guarantee.

2) If an officer makes 18 years, my recollection is they are in 'sanctuary' and will be continued to 20.

3) If a servicemember is *involuntarily* separated prior to retirement (for reasons other than misconduct), they are authorized a pretty healthy severance pay. It is based on how much time they have served, and for an officer in this category would be on the order of $50,000-$100,000+. If the reason is misconduct, they often still get some separation pay, but it's less.

4) Officers who separate early and take the severance pay must also continue in the Guard or Reserve, and may continue to a reserve retirement, which is nothing to sniff at-the paycheck is based on the equivalent active duty time. The distinction is the reserve check won't start until the officer is 60 years old.

5) In the case of these majors, they article talks about how they were 'just' short of retirement. In almost all these cases, 'just' short was actually 4-5 years short. Majors are screened for promotion to Lieutenant Colonel at 15 years or so.

6) Finally, other than personal misconduct, when some number of officers must separate they usually are selected by a board, which votes files based on merit. That board looks at hundreds or even thousands of officers. These were probably the bottom 157 of the officers looked at. Every officer is great and wonderful and a winner and could make millions on the outside. Just ask them, they'll tell you. But ultimately, someone is the bottom of any group in performance.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 AM

2,777 posts, read 7,735,864 times
Actually once an officer is within 5 years of retirement they can not be "let go." Those people in the article were no on the "eve" of the their retirement, they were SIX YEARS from retirement.

This absolutely can happen to officers, as officers aren't always under contract the way enlisted are. This is why I've decided to stay enlisted even with my degree... job security. The Air Force has a long history of doing this to officers, although usually earlier in their career. It's a risk every officer is aware of, and really no different than corporate America.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 AM

379 posts, read 121,847 times
Despicable.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,962,557 times
Happens quite often in the civilian sector. Appears the military has some protections for those getting close to retirement.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:36 AM

3,060 posts, read 902,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Actually once an officer is within 5 years of retirement they can not be "let go." Those people in the article were no on the "eve" of the their retirement, they were SIX YEARS from retirement.

This absolutely can happen to officers, as officers aren't always under contract the way enlisted are. This is why I've decided to stay enlisted even with my degree... job security. The Air Force has a long history of doing this to officers, although usually earlier in their career. It's a risk every officer is aware of, and really no different than corporate America.

I agree!

6 years from a military retirement is a lot different than 6 years for a factory worker who already has put in 40 years on the job.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:06 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,404,248 times
The blog is 6 years old. By use of the word "lifer" for career service members, the author appears to have a somewhat negative agenda towards the military. "Lifer" is considered a pejorative, by many careerists, as it implies that careerists are incapable of economic survival in the civilian world and are the equivalent of prison inmates serving a life sentence.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:43 PM

11,257 posts, read 37,207,691 times
Quote:

I think what you have here is just some O-4 people who did not make the cut to go to O-5. As you go up the pay scale, there are fewer slots available, so you have some inevitable cuts to make.

How the cuts are made might be argued with, but the fact that (assuming they all want to stay in) you have more O-4 people available than you have O-5 slots for them means you have to cut some people.

As stated they can go on into reserve jobs where they will eventually get a pension at age 60 - not as sweet as retiring at about age 40 with half pay, but not a bad deal either. That and very likely these people can find civilian jobs without much trouble. If there are any pilots in the group, the airlines will snap them up like a chicken on a June bug. Worse could happen to a guy.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:40 PM

1,011 posts, read 552,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
As stated they can go on into reserve jobs where they will eventually get a pension at age 60 - not as sweet as retiring at about age 40 with half pay, but not a bad deal either. That and very likely these people can find civilian jobs without much trouble. If there are any pilots in the group, the airlines will snap them up like a chicken on a June bug. Worse could happen to a guy.

Yes, the pilots would be snapped up.

A fighter pilot told me the job is a "killer job". Really exciting and enjoyable, in other words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues