U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 PM

28,080 posts, read 35,072,454 times

Advertisements

It seems as though there should be a thread, exposing the incompetent VA Hospitals. I'm mad as hell.

We just talked to our son, who lives in another state, so we really have no control, or any way to help him. We are barely able to keep the lines of communication open.
Surely there are many many stories, besides ours.

Ours is this.
Son went into the Army after high school in 1988. Smart, funny, kind, and a thrill seeker.

His route through the military was Ranger, jump master, yada yada and finally a Delta Operator. When it was good, it was very very good. The training took him all over the world. From pretending to be a baggage handler at Heathrow, to skiing in the Alps, to Halo jumping from 35000 feet. He did it all, and he did it well. They are trained to blend in to their surroundings, so he had some many great experiences. When the media says the SEALS do something, many times it is DELTA, but they do not want the publicity.

His job was a breecher. This means you blow things up. You repel off a helicopter (broke his pelvis) and then you blast your way into a place where you need to kill some bad guys. This job caused him to have brain damage. Then he got shot 3x in Iraq. He almost lost an arm. This caused him to become addicted to prescription drugs, prescribed by Army doctors.

So, he managed to retire, and since then, has fought to get necessary support and care through the VA.

Tonight, he said the guy at the VA he talked to was looking at his iPad the whole time he was talking to him.

We are neighbors of a US Congressman and we offered to tell his story, but, ya know, our son is in a different state, and was a resident of yet another state from our congressman, so I'm not sure how much good it would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 04:31 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,711,067 times
My guess is that the guy at the VA HAD to keep his eyes on the iPad, at least if in the behavioral health unit. Which includes ptsd, addiction etc. it probably was not meant to be rude or uncaring.

The VA caregiver in that unit has the keep up to 5 automated application systems open for each patient and fill them in while listening to the patient. The systems are not automatically populated with Data.

My sister was a VA caregiver in such a unit and she just retired. She had to document the patient's discussion in one, document the patient's file, document the patient's official medical record, and document prescriptions and meds in another. Documentation is then archived and reviewed at several levels and for hospital certification.

She says she would speak face to face with her patient then say "excuse me while I type in what we discuss" or something.

If you son was being seen by someone who was doing procedures more hands on then the above would not be the case, you only have so many hands. And I would guess they do the same afterwards.

If the person your son saw was playing a game or surfing the Internet, that caregiver deserves to be called on it.

In any case a polite explanation would have been good and I hate that someone was rude to him.

BTW, I used the VA myself and the doctor does the quick check and then sits behind the computer and pulls up the systems to fill in while I sit there.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:45 PM

114 posts, read 34,953 times
All of my civilian doctors are on the computer the whole time I'm there as they have to document as they go along with the assessment. By the time I've finished checking out they have my copy of the physicians summery ready for me to take home.

My husband has had excellent care at VA Medical centers in two different states.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:58 PM

22,098 posts, read 32,689,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, he managed to retire, and since then, has fought to get necessary support and care through the VA.
I suggest he start here, or you may be able to do it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Department of Veterans Affairs
Office of Inspector General

https://www.va.gov/oig/hotline/

The OIG Hotline receives, screens, and refers OIG mission-related complaints within VA. Cases are accepted on a select basis regarding issues having the most potential risk to veterans, VA programs and operations, or for which the OIG may be the only avenue of redress.

I have had my minor issues taken care of in the past...

Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM

4,152 posts, read 6,388,784 times
If he is retired he also has access to Tricare. Between Tricare and the VA he can't get the help and support he needs? Every doctor I see these days has their nose buried in the ipad or laptop documenting what I'm telling them.

I know not everyone has the same experience, however, for the most part my dealings with Tricare and the VA have been satisfactory.

Good luck to your son and thank him for his service and sacrifice.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:12 AM

28,080 posts, read 35,072,454 times
Thanks everyone. I'm just venting, I guess. I need to remember that he's a grown up with a scrambled brain, so who knows what the straight scoop is.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,711,067 times
Yes OP

I understand how you feel, I feel the pain of my children too. It is almost physical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues