Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:11 AM

153 posts, read 114,868 times

Advertisements

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...nistan/520770/

Quote:
Early this month, news broke on a military website called the War Horse that nude photos of women service members had been posted on a closed Facebook group called Marines United. In the days that followed, the Marine Corps announced that the Naval Criminal Investigation Service was launching an investigation. The Marine Corps leadership addressed the issue in a video and in Capitol Hill testimony. Since then, stories have come out showing that other branches of the military also took part in the photo scandal, and victims have spoken out to tell their own stories.
It's really sick, and it amazes me how there are people that just wave it off as "boys will be boys" as well as saying things like "this is why women shouldn't be allowed in the military" as if it's their fault the guys can't control themselves.

From those here who have been in the military what is your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
NCIS is investigating. let them. then let heads roll if need be.

BTW, I haven't heard the comments you say you heard.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I've read numerous comments to that effect. Not so much heard. People are braver behind screens. Comment sections/anonymity/no social repercussions for statements tend to bring certain folks out of the woodwork.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
I think nothing of it.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:54 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
I'm embarrassed for the military. I realize how difficult it is for the Military to control this sort of thing. No matter how many classes on sexual harassment and equal opportunity and representing your country in the best way possible, you really can't control what Soldiers/members of the military do on their own time on the internet.

Besides, look at the current CinC who sides with Bill O'Reilly in his sexual harassment situation. The command behavior is pretty much set from top to bottom.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:11 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
I'm a woman currently serving in the military on Active Duty. This will not be a popular belief, but if a woman is stupid enough to let pictures like that get taken, then she should know the risk. I don't feel bad for most of the women.

I am disgusted by the INDIVIDUALS that did this, but I'm not mad at the Corps. It wasn't a sanctioned or official website. Military people are still private citizens. We use social media. No one monitors my facebook or citydata accounts, so this isn't the fault of the Marines. This is an individual issue. The individuals who shared the photos were wrong and should be held responsible, but the Marine Corps/military at large, are not responsible for the behavior.

I have been getting anti-rape, anti-sexual harassment, and anti-discrimination training crammed down my throat for years. The service branches make sure we know damn well better than to behave that way. But, there are over a million people serving in the military. You can't expect to control them all, and you can't expect them to all always act with honor.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm a woman currently serving in the military on Active Duty. This will not be a popular belief, but if a woman is stupid enough to let pictures like that get taken, then she should know the risk. I don't feel bad for most of the women.

I am disgusted by the INDIVIDUALS that did this, but I'm not mad at the Corps. It wasn't a sanctioned or official website. Military people are still private citizens. We use social media. No one monitors my facebook or citydata accounts, so this isn't the fault of the Marines. This is an individual issue. The individuals who shared the photos were wrong and should be held responsible, but the Marine Corps/military at large, are not responsible for the behavior.

I have been getting anti-rape, anti-sexual harassment, and anti-discrimination training crammed down my throat for years. The service branches make sure we know damn well better than to behave that way. But, there are over a million people serving in the military. You can't expect to control them all, and you can't expect them to all always act with honor.
Agree. That was one of my questions: how did the pictures get taken in the first place?

The grandstanding politicians who grilled the Marine Corps Commadant likely has a few underlings in her own office who have some internet behavior that she's probably unaware of and she really can't control.

15,000 government emails revealed in Ashley Madison leak | TheHill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hypm3PPuuLo

Old 04-06-2017, 04:56 PM

983 posts, read 737,951 times
Quote:

Fully agree. While not the U.S Military there was a scandal with Israeli female soldiers taking provocative pictures of themselves wearing just their weapons and helmets but nude otherwise. Same with all the women that end up getting pregnant especially in the Navy. Heck, in 1991 USS Acadia 36 out of the 360 women fell pregnant. Ridiculous.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:01 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,372 times
Quote:

This would mirror my take on the situation. I served long before women were accepted in combat roles,but I agree....personal actions can have consequences you may not like...........

Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 AM

857 posts, read 843,788 times
I definitely do not see a "boys will be boys" attitude from anyone I have come across thus far in the Marine Corps. The CMC is pretty adamant about getting the message of proper behavior out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues