U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 08:13 PM

2,822 posts, read 7,878,010 times

Advertisements

I will be so proud to put on my uniform tomorrow!! I was so sick of sitting around while watching innocent children die, families starve, mothers drown while fleeing Syria. How we have stood by and let this happen as long as we have, I'll never understand.

We have been teaching Assad that he can cross "the red line" with impunity. Glad we finally stepped-up!

Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 PM

22,343 posts, read 33,259,431 times
Wars and Military Conflicts
Trump launches attack on Syria with 59 tomahawk missiles
Everett Rosenfeld | @Ev_Rosenfeld
2 Mins Ago

The U.S. military attacked a Syria-government airfield with 59 tomahawk missiles on Thursday evening.

The missiles targeted the Shayrat Airfield near Homs, and were in response to a Tuesday chemical weapons attack. Officially announcing the strike, President Donald Trump said that the targeted airfield had launched the chemical attack on a rebel-held area, and he called on other nations to oppose Syria's embattled leader.

"On Tuesday, Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad launched a horrible chemical weapons attack on innocent civilians. Using a deadly nerve agent, Assad choked out the lives of helpless men, women and children. It was a slow and brutal death for so many. Even beautiful babies were cruelly murdered in this very barbaric attack," Trump said during his Thursday address.

The article continues...

Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 PM

7,169 posts, read 7,191,589 times
But why did they pick that airfield when the chemical repository and airfield is east of that location closer to Khirbat Tiyas? Unless they didn't want to do any actual damage to the Russian aircraft and crews, so they picked a more visible target closer to a city versus the source out in nowhere land. I guess the message was more important than the military value.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:01 PM

2,822 posts, read 7,878,010 times
From what I understand, this is the Airfield we believe the planes were launched from with the Chemicals. If we blow the repository, we release the chemicals.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:23 PM

7,169 posts, read 7,191,589 times
I can understand not wanting to hit the loading and storage airfield especially with the Russian air and advisory units only a few kilometers away. I'm not even sure if the Tomahawks could surgically hit the Syrian aircraft without severe collateral damage to the Russian aircraft. So, you are probably right they hit what makes the biggest statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues