U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,596,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Why would you want to be enlisted with a college degree? Unless guarantied OCS and I don't think they do that.

There are other ways to serve the country that pay better for degreed people.

Didn't they teach you to swim? You know you can also take private swimming lessons.

It was 40 years ago, but I think we had a swim test in a lake or something in the Army. I remember we had a zip line set up where you rode the line a couple hundred feet then dropped like 30 feet into the water then swam to shore. I might have that confused with other training, not basic.
You recall correctly. It was done in my own training in a similar time frame to yours. Other than that zip line, the Army doesn't really test swimming intensively except for divers and Special Forces (maybe a couple of others? But it's the LAND force, so take that for what it's worth. They like woods and sweating, not oceans and swimming). If you can tread water, you can pass its requirement for almost all jobs. You don't need an efficient stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 11:46 AM

26,903 posts, read 41,685,286 times
Talk to a recruiter, I wish you the best luck

Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 PM

65 posts, read 80,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm a recruiting supervisor for the Air Force. You're not too old and we don't require a waiver. I'd have to research the RE-8 because I've never heard of that in my life. Our regulation only addresses RE 1 through 4. I'll get back to you if I find out anything. However, you could join with an RE Code Waiver, I am sure of it. We treat you the same as non-prior-service if you didn't complete Basic.
That's definitely good news that I'm not to old to enlist in the Airforce. When did you all up the age? What is the new cutoff then? I'm also happy to hear that even though I've technically been in the military it shouldn't be a problem.

Do I have to do the medical form recruiters give all over again? I mean I should be in the system now shouldn't I? Also what would Meps be like for me this time? Veteran affairs sent me my medical records from bootcamp,but strangely anything I gave MEPS from before bootcamp isn't in there.

Quote:
I would assume that if reenlistment in the Navy is not a goal, Coast Guard and probably USMC would be similarly out of consideration.
You would be right lol. No more branches where swimming is in demand

Quote:
Why would you want to be enlisted with a college degree? Unless guarantied OCS and I don't think they do that.
I would love to join as a officer,but I don't think I have the degree or gpa they're looking for. Its not a science or math degree, and my gpa is a 3.5. Plus there's the officer test to consider...

Quote:
Talk to a recruiter, I wish you the best luck
Thank you, and I will be doing that very soon.

Last edited by fantasy09; 04-13-2017 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 04:19 PM

2,760 posts, read 1,200,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
Don’t mention the Navy. I have zero interest in going back. Swimming was a problem for me, and it will just be a problem again.

If it’s not obvious swimming is what I was separated for. It’s a graduation requirement, and I couldn’t pass it. I passed everything else though.
This reminds me of a funny story my Dad told me about his own experience in the Navy. He also wasn't a swimmer. They tossed the non-swimmers overboard to see if they actually could or would start swimming. Well, my Dad started to go under (drown), so they tossed a life saver ring into the water and it hit him on the head. Someone had to jump in and get him.

To the best of my knowledge, though, he was not removed from the Navy because of it.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 04-13-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 05:47 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,942,160 times
Interesting thread. I went through Marine Corps boot camp during the Vietnam War. They had a swimming test. I could not swim. The DI said I would cross the pool even if I had to hold my breath and walk on the bottom from one end to the other. Somehow I did an improvised dog paddle, made it across and passed the test. Fear is a wonderful motivator.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 AM

5,807 posts, read 4,926,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You recall correctly. It was done in my own training in a similar time frame to yours. Other than that zip line, the Army doesn't really test swimming intensively except for divers and Special Forces (maybe a couple of others? But it's the LAND force, so take that for what it's worth. They like woods and sweating, not oceans and swimming). If you can tread water, you can pass its requirement for almost all jobs. You don't need an efficient stroke.
This was at Ft. Benning in 1980. Plenty of sweating.

For the OP, I got curious - google Navy RE-8, I'm sorry but the news doesn't look good. Unless something has changed once separated they aren't letting anyone back in it seems. Could be old info though. Luck.

What field were you looking for? Is there a civilian counterpart?

Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 AM

6,786 posts, read 5,497,057 times
RE-8 is navy code for----INELIGIBLE TO REENLIST WITHOUT A COMNAVCRUITCOM WAIVER

https://www.navycs.com/military-re-codes.html

"RE-8 - Temporary medical conditions or unsatisfactory initial performance and conduct (available to recruits assigned to Recruit Training Command for initial training only)."

From what I understand in today's military to get into any service branch with such a requirement is almost impossible. The modern military is one chance and if out requiring a waiver, you are through as far as the military goes.

Other services recruiters should be able to tell you how this rating is effecting your enlistment in their branch. It may or may not effect your enlistment.

You are not going to get those answers at C-D.

Last edited by oldtrader; 04-14-2017 at 03:24 AM..

Old 04-14-2017, 06:37 AM

2,772 posts, read 7,700,837 times
Quote:
That's definitely good news that I'm not to old to enlist in the Airforce. When did you all up the age? What is the new cutoff then? I'm also happy to hear that even though I've technically been in the military it shouldn't be a problem.

Do I have to do the medical form recruiters give all over again? I mean I should be in the system now shouldn't I? Also what would Meps be like for me this time? Veteran affairs sent me my medical records from bootcamp,but strangely anything I gave MEPS from before bootcamp isn't in there.

You would be right lol. No more branches where swimming is in demand

I would love to join as a officer,but I don't think I have the degree or gpa they're looking for. Its not a science or math degree, and my gpa is a 3.5. Plus there's the officer test to consider...

Thank you, and I will be doing that very soon.
The age limit is now 39. It changed around 5 years ago.

You have to start completely from scratch. Your form is in the system, but you have to do a new one as it becomes invalid the day you start active duty. But, you can't hide stuff as they can cross reference. The form is called the 2807-2.

MEPS would be exactly the same as the first time.

Your RE Code and separation would be held against you by the selection committee for officer positions, in my opinion, enlisting would be your best bet.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:36 AM

65 posts, read 80,216 times
Quote:
RE-8 is navy code for----INELIGIBLE TO REENLIST WITHOUT A COMNAVCRUITCOM WAIVER

https://www.navycs.com/military-re-codes.html
This website is interesting. Seems I got a rather weird code. I wonder why they didn't just give me one of the RE-3's otherwise eligible for reenlistment except for disqualifying factor. Seems like RE-3X: Non-swimmer is the one I should have been given.

Quote:
The age limit is now 39. It changed around 5 years ago.
OMG seriously?! I could have been in the Airforce now then. It was always my first choice. I only settled for Navy because I thought I was to old for enlistment with the airforce. I was free as a bird last year,but apparently now I need waivers and crap to get back in.

Quote:
You have to start completely from scratch. Your form is in the system, but you have to do a new one as it becomes invalid the day you start active duty. But, you can't hide stuff as they can cross reference. The form is called the 2807-2.
I looked at the form. I looks to be the same one I filled out before. My issue is do they only want civilian medical stuff(because that's the same) or do they want any bootcamp medical stuff added as well.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

2,772 posts, read 7,700,837 times
Quote:
This website is interesting. Seems I got a rather weird code. I wonder why they didn't just give me one of the RE-3's otherwise eligible for reenlistment except for disqualifying factor. Seems like RE-3X: Non-swimmer is the one I should have been given.

OMG seriously?! I could have been in the Airforce now then. It was always my first choice. I only settled for Navy because I thought I was to old for enlistment with the airforce. I was free as a bird last year,but apparently now I need waivers and crap to get back in.

I looked at the form. I looks to be the same one I filled out before. My issue is do they only want civilian medical stuff(because that's the same) or do they want any bootcamp medical stuff added as well.
I'm curious why you didn't talk to an Air Force recruiter then?

They want ALLLLL medical information from your entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues