U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM

66 posts, read 81,170 times

Advertisements

Iím 31 year old female. My Asvab score is still active. I have a BA degree.

My release code is RE-8. Yes, this is a real release code. This is what legal gave me, and this is what it says on my DD-214.

Donít mention the Navy. I have zero interest in going back. Swimming was a problem for me, and it will just be a problem again.

If itís not obvious swimming is what I was separated for. Itís a graduation requirement, and I couldnít pass it. I passed everything else though.

Airforce- Iím I truly too old for enlisted? Or could I get a waiver for my age? What about officer? I know Iím not too old for that, but I know there are other requirements.

Even though I would like to go in as active duty again I would be willing to do air force reserve or guard, and then after a little bit get bumped up to active duty. Is this even an option to do it this way?

Army- I know my age would not be a problem at all with this one. I'm kinda scared of their boot camp though lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 540,552 times
Your best bet is to talk to a recruiter.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:58 PM

22,098 posts, read 32,689,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
Iím 31 year old female. My Asvab score is still active. I have a BA degree.

Army- I know my age would not be a problem at all with this one. I'm kinda scared of their boot camp though lol.
"kinda scared" can be your worst enemy.

Go see a recruiter, find out what they have to offer. There are a lot of opportunities in the Army. There are also possibilities of bad assignments. Some of those assignments turn out OK... You can pick your exact MOS.

Good luck...

Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 PM

4,152 posts, read 6,388,784 times
Things have changed and the services are having a harder time making goal. Now is a great time to try and get in with some things that a year ago would never have been considered. Go see the USAF Recruiter ASAP.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:28 PM

2,777 posts, read 7,735,864 times
I'm a recruiting supervisor for the Air Force. You're not too old and we don't require a waiver. I'd have to research the RE-8 because I've never heard of that in my life. Our regulation only addresses RE 1 through 4. I'll get back to you if I find out anything. However, you could join with an RE Code Waiver, I am sure of it. We treat you the same as non-prior-service if you didn't complete Basic.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 PM

6,841 posts, read 6,871,272 times
RE-8 is weird as I belive it's the Navy's equivalent of some entry level separation, but can be for any reason from medical to performance, to conduct.... Most branches will focus on the reason and if it's performance and they don't have such a standard (don't know if any other branch now requires swimming), that's not as bad as getting an STD or flipping off your DI.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,720,063 times
The USN's RE-8 is pretty simple for any recruiter (or, heck Amy civilian) to look up, as far as its legitimate existence:

Quote:
RE-8
Temporary medical conditions or unsatisfactory initial performance and conduct (available to recruits assigned to Recruit Training Command for initial training only).
Not graduating RTC due to not being able to pass swim qualifications would def. be a reason.

Like dmarie said, other branches may or may not consider you prior service if you didn't complete boot camp. You'd have to check how individual branches handle a reenlistment code that doesnt have a direct correlation their system. I would assume that if reenlistment in the Navy is not a goal, Coast Guard and probably USMC would be similarly out of consideration.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 04-12-2017 at 11:33 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 11:30 PM

8,391 posts, read 10,077,448 times
You must complete swim requirements for the United States (Marine Corps ) the United States (Coast Guard) and the United States (Navy) they must be completed in order to pass basic training.

That will leave you the United States (Army ) or the .......United States Air Force......

Old 04-13-2017, 02:32 AM

5,895 posts, read 4,977,716 times
Why would you want to be enlisted with a college degree? Unless guarantied OCS and I don't think they do that.

There are other ways to serve the country that pay better for degreed people.

Didn't they teach you to swim? You know you can also take private swimming lessons.

It was 40 years ago, but I think we had a swim test in a lake or something in the Army. I remember we had a zip line set up where you rode the line a couple hundred feet then dropped like 30 feet into the water then swam to shore. I might have that confused with other training, not basic.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:56 AM

2,302 posts, read 3,615,015 times
I wouldn't be that worried about Army basic.

I know that's easy for me to say after having passed through, but the program is designed to get people through, not to eliminate them. Yes, you can fail it for many reasons-but go in with the attitude you will pass and be the best Soldier you can be, and that's 90% of the battle. 'Right time, right place, right uniform' is really sound advice for newer Soldiers, giving them a lot of room to grow into being a leader. You'll have peers who can't seem to grasp that showing up on time is important, and they'll get tender loving attention from the NCOs.

One of the major benefits of the Army vs. the Air Force is the Army doesn't practice open contracts. Once you commit to an MOS (specialty) with an opening (while at MEPs), you will be guaranteed a school seat for training in that specialty. If you fail the training through something that was under your control (e.g. academic failure or security clearance), you will be reclassified per needs of the Army and it probably won't be as exciting of a job-but if you pass it, that's your MOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues