U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:27 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,565,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Anonymous View Post
In response to your reply the recruiter did not spend a lot of time getting me ready for MEPS. I didn't even know what job I qualified for until I was leaving the same day for MEPS. I even asked several times. All I did was sign papers and finger print. There were no early mornings, late nights, etc. In fact I didn't even know what to pack. It was a rushed process, and it was a terrible experience.
As a former Soldier I am going to say this as nicely as possible: Your recruiter spent time on your packet, just because he was not physically with you does not mean that nothing was done for you.

Your test scores severely limits what you are qualified for. This is not your recruiters fault; neither is the fact that you have varicose veins and were unable to perform the very easy duck walk.

It sounds as if the Military is not for you. If you wish to try another recruiter may I suggest that you study for the ASVAB to raise your score, which will open your choices for your MOS. Practicing your duck walk and putting some effort in your PT can only help.

If your recruiter cursed at you that was so unprofessional and I am sorry that it happened. If you think that the recruiting and MEPS was a terrible experience, then you are in for a real shock during Basic and AIT.

Have you thought about what you might like to do in case you cannot join the Military? I am sure that there is a bright future for you and I hope that you will be happy. The best of luck to you (sincerely - absolutely no snark).

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-15-2017 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 09:39 PM

14 posts, read 3,380 times
I'm going to take your advice. Since then I study for the ASVAB, and practice the duck walk every night. I even throw in some sit ups and push ups. Every disappointment is a blessing, even if we don't see it. I started talking to another recruiter, and I have no regrets.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:48 AM

6,943 posts, read 5,675,428 times
You were disqualified for Varicose veins. That is a medical problem, and can cause problems when you are on marches, and other physical activities. Not being able to duck walk, may be due to whatever is the cause of your Varicose veins.

Before you even try to enlist again, you need to see a doctor and find if the Varicose vein problem can be solved, If it can be solved you can try to enlist. Until that problem is solved, forget about the military.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 AM

13,558 posts, read 15,048,659 times
What were you hoping to gain by being in the military? If it was to obtain training in a certain field, explore you school options instead.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:59 AM

2,815 posts, read 7,867,230 times
The regulation DODI 6130 states only symptomatic varicose veins are a DQ. Did you tell the doctor that you had pain?

d. Current or history of venous diseases, including but not limited to recurrent
thrombophlebitis (451), thrombophlebitis during the preceding year, or evidence of venous
incompetence, such as large or symptomatic varicose veins, edema, or skin ulceration (454).

You can join the Air Force with a 31 if you line scores qualify you for enough jobs, so you may want to reach out to another AF recruiter.

Good luck, but if you can learn to do the duck walk, a medical waiver for the veins should be easy to get.

(I am a supervisor of Air Force recruiters)

Old 04-15-2017, 09:33 AM

The varicose veins is something I've had for as a long as I can remember. While doing the exercises, the physician took one look at me, and said she needed to talk to me. She then told me the varicose veins are a disqualifying marker, and to sign the paper to permanently disqualify me from that branch. My feet were hurting due to the fact they had me doing it all morning. Maybe its because I was in that position for so long. I reached out to another recruiter who is working with me at the moment. However, I started the process mid February, and I haven't been to MEPS as yet. I'm just going to have patience, and keep a positive mind. Thanks for the information.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am sorry for your disappointment. My best guess is that you look at your options to see what you might really enjoy other than the military. There is a lot of good you can do in the world. So go do it.

Enjoy, life is ahead of you
I looked at other options for many years. The last time I went looking for a job her words" why don't you stop begging for a job and, go do some volunteer work, or go to college for nursing. I simply said have a nice day, and left. This is one of the reasons I decided to join the military. Nobody said it was going to be easy, but I try

Old 04-15-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
What were you hoping to gain by being in the military? If it was to obtain training in a certain field, explore you school options instead.
I was hoping to join the military, and make it a career. Its always been an ambition of mine. Especially, since I obtained my bachelors degree, it seemed possible. I'm just a girl with big dreams wanting to be apart of something bigger than myself. Am I wrong for wanting this?

Old 04-15-2017, 10:53 AM

4,197 posts, read 6,527,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Anonymous View Post
I was hoping to join the military, and make it a career. Its always been an ambition of mine. Especially, since I obtained my bachelors degree, it seemed possible. I'm just a girl with big dreams wanting to be apart of something bigger than myself. Am I wrong for wanting this?
You need to understand, the military for the most part is a LOT like your experience trying to join. You often times have very little say, you don't have a lot of time to plan, things happen at the last minute, you wait forever, people are not always kind, you don't always know/understand what is going on around you, people don't have a lot of sympathy for those that are easily offended/hurt, people are expecting you to be able to take care of yourself and not need hand holding, there are lots of "NO" answers that you don't fully understand, etc.

You need to be able to roll with the punches in the military and not get off track when things don't go perfectly. Based off of your posts in this thread you really need to evaluate if the military is right for you.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:24 AM

4,333 posts, read 4,817,554 times
^^^

Adding to that, the Army is HARD, not your ordinary hard but extremely physically difficult. And it requires mental toughness. And a weak link can kill your buddies.

That is why they have physical standards from the get go. The fact that the doctor pulled you aside early on is a bad sign

It is a hard life on top of that.

Other branches may be less intense but I still think you must be tougher than the next guy

I wish you well and hope you find a way. As a door closes etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues