U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 05:06 PM

14 posts, read 1,513 times

Advertisements

All my life I wanted to join the Airforce. When I finally passed the ASVAB it felt so good. Then the recruiter told me a 35 AFQT was not high enough and needed a 50 or higher to join. I felt like crap, so I went to the Army. The recruiter basically told me the only job I qualified for was a 92S1. This made me feel lower than dirt. Going to MEPS was even worse, because I got DQ for having Varicose veins. Coming back home disappointed was the least of my worries. I had to go back to my recruiting station only to get cursed out, because I didn't pass the physical due to the fact I couldn't do the duck walk and needed the waiver. I was suppose to go back MEPS, but the recruiter never said a word. Then he told me he was not putting in a waiver for me. That night I cried like a baby knowing my military career was over before it even started. Imagine taking the test mid last year and still waiting. It hurts just knowing those people had the much of an effect on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 06:37 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,684,124 times
I am sorry for your disappointment. My best guess is that you look at your options to see what you might really enjoy other than the military. There is a lot of good you can do in the world. So go do it.

Enjoy, life is ahead of you

Old 04-14-2017, 07:37 PM

4,125 posts, read 6,347,096 times
To be honest, the military is harsh and not for the faint of heart. If you're having this reaction over a trip to MEPS you might be better off looking at other ways to spend your future.

I was a recruiter for many years and while I never cursed anyone out, I was extremely disappointed when I spent hours and hours working with someone and they went to MEPS and got themselves disqualified, especially for things like not being coordinated enough to duck walk. Your recruiter did their part and you didn't do yours. That is no excuse for being mistreated but I want you to understand that recruiter probably spent a lot of time getting you ready for MEPS, late nights, early mornings, missing time with his/her family to get you to MEPS. All that time wasted and they now have to start over trying to find someone else to make mission with so they can enjoy some relief from the constant pressure of recruiting. They have less time to find someone else because of the time spent with you.

Sorry you had a bad experience and good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by LBTRS; 04-14-2017 at 07:56 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 PM

4,597 posts, read 6,215,574 times
What's duck walking?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What's duck walking?
Squatting down and walking (waddling) a few feet across the room. A VERY easy procedure but some young people these days are so uncoordinated from never getting from in front of a TV or xbox that they struggle with it.

Got to the point I would have them do it in my office before we went to MEPS. It never failed once in a while one of them would not be able to do it under pressure at MEPS even after practicing in my office.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM

4,597 posts, read 6,215,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Squatting down and walking (waddling) a few feet across the room. A VERY easy procedure but some young people these days are so uncoordinated from never getting from in front of a TV or xbox that they struggle with it.

Got to the point I would have them do it in my office before we went to MEPS. It never failed once in a while one of them would not be able to do it under pressure at MEPS even after practicing in my office.
It's really amazing that an able bodied person can't do that. I've had 2 ankle reconstructions, one less than 6 months ago, and I can do that.

OP maybe you should look into other opportunities. What exactly are your interests?

Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 PM

I've had lots of young people not be able to do it but never had an athlete that couldn't do it. It was always the couch potato/xbox/computer/nerd types that struggled with it.

It is meant to make sure you don't have knee problems but I never had anyone that couldn't do it due to knee problems. I only had people fail it due to being uncoordinated.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
"That is no excuse for being mistreated but I want you to understand that recruiter probably spent a lot of time getting you ready for MEPS, late nights, early mornings, missing time with his/her family to get you to MEPS. All that time wasted and they now have to start over trying to find someone else to make mission with so they can enjoy some relief from the constant pressure of recruiting. They have less time to find someone else because of the time spent with you do."
In response to your reply the recruiter did not spend a lot of time getting me ready for MEPS. I didn't even know what job I qualified for until I was leaving the same day for MEPS. I even asked several times. All I did was sign papers and finger print. There were no early mornings, late nights, etc. In fact I didn't even know what to pack. It was a rushed process, and it was a terrible experience.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; Yesterday at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Please learn how to properly quote...

Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Anonymous View Post
In response to your reply the recruiter did not spend a lot of time getting me ready for MEPS. I didn't even know what job I qualified for until I was leaving the same day for MEPS. I even asked several times. All I did was sign papers and finger print. There were no early mornings, late nights, etc. In fact I didn't even know what to pack. It was a rushed process, and it was a terrible experience.
Maybe you just had a bad recruiter.

Most kids DON'T know what job they qualify for until they go to MEPS. That is where most of them find out what they are qualified for and what is available. You're lucky you knew before you even went to MEPS as that isn't the case for most applicants.

You said you got DQ'd for "varicose vein" and then say it was because you could not duck walk. Which was it? Again, you should not have been "cursed out" (if that in fact happened), however, you got yourself DQ'd, not your recruiter.

If you're still set on this you can go see a different recruiter in another station. Tell them what happened and see if they will work with you. I was a recruiting supervisor and sometimes had applicants work with another recruiter for one reason or another.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 PM

I got DQ'd for varicose veins, and was told I need a waiver. That was after he cursed me, and said he's not putting in a waiver for me. For some reason I couldn't do the duck walk, so MEPS told me in 2 weeks I would do it. Weeks passed and my recruiter, calls and tells me he was out of town , lost his phone, and the other recruiter was suppose to tell me. Turns out I was scheduled to go back to MEPS weeks ago. No one told me anything. Then he told me I have to meet with the commander. In the end they tried to blame everything on me, so I just left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues